Need Help! Horizontal mini mill examples

Thread: Horizontal mini mill examples

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Horizontal mini mill examples

Trying to find pictures/plans/ideas for building a horizontal 3 axis combined mill and lathe using a cast iron xy cross slide table.

Somewhere i have seen lathe tools mounted on a cross slide instead of a revolving tool magazine, and the workpiece in a colletchuck spindle.

I don't know how the spindle head z movement should be constructed in order to be rigid enough. I'm thinking the travel should be minimized to reduce chatter and play, also i need to be able to lock/fix the movement in a good enough way, perhaps even locking it down on a removable spacer piece.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Horizontal mini mill examples

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    I don't know how the spindle head z movement should be constructed in order to be rigid enough.
    The spindle on a horizontal machine is usually stationary in the Z axis, like a lathe. The spindle moves vertically on the the Y axis unless there's a knee involved in manual mill style.
    Maybe you're aware of that but the wording makes me suspect you're not naming the axis in the conventional way.

I would also like a mini horizontal (with rotary axis) but the design I have in mind doesn't scale down nicely.
    A web search of Horizontal Machining Center (HMC) will find machines stripped to their bones.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're right i was confusing them. I'm trying to think of a good rigid solution for the y-axis vertical movement of the spindlehead. I have this type of cross-slide: "https://www.ebay.com/itm/HEAVY-COMPOUND-CROSS-SLIDE-MILL-DRILL-TABLE-HARDENED-/300913782988?redirect=mobile"

Do you have an example of the type of machine Youre thinking of, i think adding the rotary axis movement would make milling even aluminium pretty miserable

Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    The spindle on a horizontal machine is usually stationary in the Z axis, like a lathe. The spindle moves vertically on the the Y axis unless there's a knee involved in manual mill style.
    Maybe you're aware of that but the wording makes me suspect you're not naming the axis in the conventional way.

I would also like a mini horizontal (with rotary axis) but the design I have in mind doesn't scale down nicely.
    A web search of Horizontal Machining Center (HMC) will find machines stripped to their bones.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
    Do you have an example of the type of machine Youre thinking of, i think adding the rotary axis movement would make milling even aluminium pretty miserable

Like that. Rest assured it's more of a fantasy than a plan on my part
    Compared a typical hobby rotary 4th axis it rock solid design. A pallet changer isn't a necessity and the rotary could be manual.

The machine you have in mind would more closely resemble a cnc conversion of a manual horizontal mill. The difference being you probably don't want a knee on the Y axis.
    Honestly I think existing examples will be hard to find.

Anyone who says "It only goes together one way" has no imagination.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've made this machine. It's been a real challenge to keep everything square and in tram. The motor on it now is a 3 phase powered by a VFD. It rises and falls with the head. I had surface finish problems because the belt would allow the motor to bounce. I am replacing it with a 750 watt DMM servo now. I can send solid models if you want them.
    It was designed and built to fit in my shop, which was a 3 foot by 5 foot closet in my last house. I've moved, and now have a normal size shop. If I had to do it again, I would have just bought a PM-25, and converted that.

Best regards,
    Mike

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Cool, so maybe its better to stick to vertical mills, like The pm-25?

Have you seen the pocket nc machine, super expensive and probably to small and weak to machine metal parts.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, definitely better to stay with a purpose built machine like the PM25. They make an R8 4" 3 jaw chuck. I did a lot of cnc turning with one on the 8x30 vertical mill I used to have. For short parts, with some gang tooling, you can make parts as fast as any lathe.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk