G0704 - Chasing a more quiet spindle still - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: G0704 - Chasing a more quiet spindle still

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 - Chasing a more quiet spindle still

Yes, I was trying to pinpoint whether the most noise was being created by the motor or the spindle bearings, so I turned the motor on with it's pulley connected to the shaft, but no belt. Ran it at 3000 or 3500 RPM and it was pretty loud. My guess is because it's a heavy pulley rather than the aluminum timing pulleys I have (which spins much more quietly on the motor shaft).

Did you make your pulleys or did you order them from somewhere?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by maxspongebob View Post
    Something to try:
    Drop the whole spindle out the bottom and then see how much noise it makes. If the spline shaft is not engaged, you should only hear the noise of the belt, pulley and pulley shaft bearings.
    I think you may be confused on how I have it setup. If I drop the spindle, there is nothing to connect the motor to then. The spindle side pulley is connected to the spindle splines themselves. I currently don't even have the quill assembly installed and just have the spindle locked into it's bore so the splines don't engage on anything but their drive pulley I put on them.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I understand now. I have aluminum pulleys that were made by Benchtop Precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, I understand now. I have aluminum pulleys that were made by Benchtop Precision.
    I see. Too bad they don't make them to the size I need for my motor/they have a huge lead time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Does the spindle pulley have a bore on the bottom that fits the top of the gearset that protrudes out of the bearing on the top of the head, or is it just located by the male splined shaft?

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me think out loud for a second.

If the motor with a heavy pulley installed makes more noise than the motor with a light pulley, what is the difference?
    What could cause this? Pulley out of balance causing a vibration in the motor internals?

If both pulleys are tight to the shaft, then a noise difference must be generated internal to the motor.
    Out of balance could cause the motor bearings to chatter. Out of balance at high RPM could cause excessive motor bearing loads. Adding more load with belt tension may make situation worse.

Does the motor without a pulley make any noise? It shouldn't.
    Does a radial load applied to the motor shaft make a noise? (how to test?)
    Is there run out on the motor bearings?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Does the spindle pulley have a bore on the bottom that fits the top of the gearset that protrudes out of the bearing on the top of the head, or is it just located by the male splined shaft?
    It just goes onto the shaft, it's not counterbored to rest on that protruding part.

Downloads
    Uploads

What if you 3d printed a coupler with a spline adapter on one end and a hole for your motor shaft on the other. Do a test that lets you directly drive the spindle without a belt. This would let you see if the bearings are the thing that is making the noise.

Wait, you don't even have to make a coupler, just put the motor shaft in a R8 collet and clamp the motor to the table.

Spin the crap out of it removing one piece at the time to find what is the noisy part.

Downloads
    Uploads

Let me think out loud for a second.

If the motor with a heavy pulley installed makes more noise than the motor with a light pulley, what is the difference?
    What could cause this? Pulley out of balance causing a vibration in the motor internals?

If both pulleys are tight to the shaft, then a noise difference must be generated internal to the motor.
    Out of balance could cause the motor bearings to chatter. Out of balance at high RPM could cause excessive motor bearing loads. Adding more load with belt tension may make situation worse.

Does the motor without a pulley make any noise? It shouldn't.
    Does a radial load applied to the motor shaft make a noise? (how to test?)
    Is there run out on the motor bearings?
    The motor without a pulley sounds as you'd expect it to. I don't know how/why the cast iron pulley would be out of balance since it's brand new and made for the shaft, it's not custom like the one I have to open the bore for the spline shaft. It's possible that it's only rated for a certain RPM which is well below 3500.

Downloads
    Uploads

Actually that's not a bad idea granted I can find a good way to mount the motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I was just looking on McMaster Carr for a pulley. What is the shaft size and the outer diameter? You said it is a 3L profile correct?

Downloads
    Uploads

My motor shaft size is 1/2" and it can be 3L or 4L as long as both the spindle and motor pulleys are the same pitch and diameter (I use 1:1 ratio). The second pulley I bore to .853 ish to fit on the splines. But McMaster, Grainger, etc. I can't find anywhere that doesn't use either plastic or cast iron/zinc pulleys.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast