DIY mill from commercial castings? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DIY mill from commercial castings?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY mill from commercial castings?

When I pay attention to the sound when cutting I can't help but think it is the machine frame vibrating and resonating.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah that's probably correct.

It is at it's limits with the 20mm end mill, but I think the finish is ok?
    This was of course a very light cut for the end mill, I won't be close to pushing it with this one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Finish: I am a relativist on this issue. If it suits your purpose then the finish is OK.

Downloads
    Uploads

Made these today. Two identical blocks.

A 4,5mm x 9,5mm pocket 24mm deep. Machined with a 4mm end mill just ramping down. Flood cooling is great
    Did the chamfer with a ball end mill.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY mill from commercial castings?-snapchat-1745510953-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Very nice work on the mill!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you

Downloads
    Uploads

The mill runs fine.
    I have made a 5 axis attachement to run some light housing parts.
    A-axis is belt driven mini lathe headstock
    C-axis is a belt driven harmonic drive gearbox.

Made a youtube video on machining a test part:

It is quite long, but have listed the different operations.

Something is not perfectly straight though as seen on the pictures (when facing off the thin sides). It left a bump at two of the corners.
    Don't really know is if it is out of alignment or if the cut was too heavy for the c axis to stay in place.

Future work: run the wires through the A-axis axle and make a cover for the C-axis belt drive.

Also what is the positive direction on A and C? Started to wonder if I have them both going the wrong way both in my post processor and on the machine, is that even possible?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY mill from commercial castings?-skjermbilde-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220224_200211-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220123_150844-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220110_231240-jpg  

DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220111_183639-jpg  

That A and C axis are freaking off the charts cool. What items did you use to make that? I spent a lot of time making a trunnion table for my G0704 and ultimately realize the work area just got too small on my machine. There were some other issues, but it looks like you got closer than I did.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks

This is made for very small parts. Basically max ~80mm cube.

The A is this headstock https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/H...18_013CRB.html
    With a 100mm plate. Would probably be better off with a harmonic drive here as well, but bought it originally for a 4th axis/turn attachment on my router. Didn't get used much. A big belt pulley on the back of it gives about 1:8 reduction.
    The C is a 74mm harmonic drive with 1:50 (I think it was). Used from one of the large asian resellers on ebay. They made a mistake in the listing on the model number and it is smaller than I would like, but decided to use it anyway. The aluminium angle is a part from an electric rail that was thrown out from a transformer station... Quite soft and not easy to machine. The stepper mount is made from a much harder alloy and is better.

I bought a used 1:80 harmonic drive on eBay for my A axis and used a 1:60 belt drive for C. The issues I ran into were seemingly just cumulative errors that started from the G0704 not being great and my machining not really being optimal. I ended up using most of the stock from the trunnion for projects later, so I don't have much of it left. Ultimately I gave up on the project, because frankly, I wasn't up to the task. I do dream of giving it a second try. My machining abilities have grown a lot since then, and the design wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

You have gotten closer than I did, with some more work you will get there! That aluminum angle is rather sweet! I like what appears to be your 3d printed covers too!

Downloads
    Uploads

There are some cumulative errors here as well. So if I want to get it perfect I have to start over with a new machine.
    But this has been great learning and it is good to have a small weak machine to crash in the beginning

And for the light housing the critical features (placement of LED and optics) are machined at a fixed A-C position with just the XY moving at different Z for the two faces. 5 axis toolpath will be on the outside.

Yes, 3D printed covers

Downloads
    Uploads

Finished the first light housing. I conclude the 5 axis is working as hoped.
    No simultaneous 5 axis on this for now because Autodesk desided to restrain those tool paths to the machining extension right before I was going to do this and I don't pay for that (yet).

I screwed up the cam a couple of places and the machines was out of reference in one operation. So this piece is not nearly perfect. But I hope I will get there in a few tries.
    The reference was a problem because I've done this over a few weeks and I turn the machine off every time I've jused it. So just homed it once and startet milling, but my homing switches is not good enough for this so need to reset zero every time..

But even with position only 5 axis is great to watch when the tool paths are working. But a lot of checking and thinkering the first time...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_173700-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_173400-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_173431-jpg   DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_173420-jpg  

DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_173412-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

It's alive

Added videos on youtube as well. They are long, tried to add something from each operation. And in the free video editor I'm using I cant fast forward either.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/G5bF4ftSu-Y

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY mill from commercial castings?-20220503_232144-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Buoyen View Post
    The mill runs fine.
    I have made a 5 axis attachement to run some light housing parts.
    A-axis is belt driven mini lathe headstock
    C-axis is a belt driven harmonic drive gearbox.

Made a youtube video on machining a test part:

It is quite long, but have listed the different operations.

Something is not perfectly straight though as seen on the pictures (when facing off the thin sides). It left a bump at two of the corners.
    Don't really know is if it is out of alignment or if the cut was too heavy for the c axis to stay in place.

Future work: run the wires through the A-axis axle and make a cover for the C-axis belt drive.

Also what is the positive direction on A and C? Started to wonder if I have them both going the wrong way both in my post processor and on the machine, is that even possible?
    Works well

What Cam software are you using ??

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you, Mactec!

It is Fusion 360. Choice of tool paths are probably not always the best. But it works. I am paying for the hobby version. 5 axis Flow and swarf was an option here before, but was removed before I managed to program this light housing.

A true 5 axis move could be better on the cooling fins and around the mounting tabs.

Downloads
    Uploads

You are a very talented person and your inventiveness is superb...great work.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, thank you, Stuart!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123