Need Help! Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3

Found a mill on craigslist that has just about everything I wanted. Its a denford. My understanding they ran their own proprietary hardware/software. Good news is, purchase included gecko g540 with power supply and uc100 smooth stepper. With that being said I understand guys have found a way to wire in a breakout board to run mach3 while retaining the original power supply, drivers, spindle board etc. etc.

I really like the factory configuration and would prefer to wire in a single board and keep everything in its place rather than tearing it all out and replacing with the g540 components. I could always use the gecko for a future router or plasma table if I get that far.

By no means am I versed when it comes to cnc and not even really electronically or programming savvy. I can write a few basic loops in matlab but that's the extent of my knowledge when it comes to this kind of stuff so my question to you is, What is the easiest way to get this machine up and running with the minimal amount of headache required ? Should I swap out the components with the gecko hardware or is it easier/cleaner to wire in a new board and get it setup to run mach3?

Thanks ! I'll attach some pics. be sure to let me know if there is a preference with how pics are uploaded.

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-1-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-2-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-3-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-4-jpg  

Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-5-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-6-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-7-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-8-jpg  

Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-9-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-10-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-11-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-12-jpg  

Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-13-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-14-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-15-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-16-jpg  

Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-17-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-18-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-19-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-20-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3

Nice machine and extras.

First of all, being that it is all complete. I would try to interface with the existing board via the DB25 on the side, use Linux or whatever will work. Search for threads of other builds. It really depends on your understanding of CAD/CAM/Electronics/GCode etc.

What time frame are you anticipating? The G540 with either the existing internal power supply or the extra one you show could be up and running very quickly with an experienced user. A day or so. Possible with the existing electronics too. Again, that is an experienced (and willing) user.

There seems to be some pretty clear markings on the boards. Might be beneficial in regards to pin assignments etc.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Nice machine and extras.

First of all, being that it is all complete. I would try to interface with the existing board via the DB25 on the side, use Linux or whatever will work. Search for threads of other builds. It really depends on your understanding of CAD/CAM/Electronics/GCode etc.

What time frame are you anticipating? The G540 with either the existing internal power supply or the extra one you show could be up and running very quickly with an experienced user. A day or so. Possible with the existing electronics too. Again, that is an experienced (and willing) user.

There seems to be some pretty clear markings on the boards. Might be beneficial in regards to pin assignments etc.
    Fastest, I liked your idea to try to interface the existing board so I dug up some 10+ year old desktops from the basement with a DB25 connector. After swapping out power supplies and hds I finally got one to boot and run smooth. Problem is, I'm not sure how to interface it. PC doesn't recognize the mill by simply plugging in. Does the Micromill need power to be recognized by the pc or does the pc need Denford software first? I don't have the keys for the master power switch on the mill so will need a way around it until I find keys or another switch.
    For cad I use solidworks 2015. I'm descent and can model pretty much anything that can be found in a house. CAM wise I will use camworks but I don't have any experience yet with cam software and I have zero knowledge of Gcode which is why I mainly want to learn the interface between camworks and mach3

I don't want to drag my feet on it but I don't want to throw away a capable setup to save a week either. With that being said and worst comes to worst, I wont hesitate to pull it all out and install the g540. I am certainly willing but experienced not so much so all help is greatly appreciated. I am determined to get this thing up and going ..

Thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Can anybody translate this:
    Denford Software & Machines ? View topic - Baldor Nextstep Step and Direction pins - 96way connector

Does this sound like a viable option to run mach3 for cheap and save the g540?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcats56 View Post
    Does this sound like a viable option to run mach3 for cheap and save the g540?
    Absolutely. I have that exact machine controlled by Mach3 using the original Smartstep3 card & a cheap breakout board. You just ditch the proprietary serial card which leaves the 96 pin header exposed. Using the diagram, you connect the Pulse (Step) Direction & Ground pins to a parallel port B.O.B, set up Mach & away you go. I used Futaba J r/c airplane connectors to plug onto the pins but any .100" spacing pins will fit.

The Smartstep has been a reliable control for me during the Mach learning process. It is only a 2 amp unit which is fine for this size machine but has limited speed for experienced users. However, it doesn't break things when you screw up. There are several posts about doing this on the web if you do some searching. I see you've found the Denford site...good folks!

ps: If you decide to use the 540, please keep me in mind for the old Smartstep; I need a spare....just in case.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3

I knew somebody had done it.

Btw I was referring to using the original software.
    I was thinking of Mach or Linux and the pin assignments can be changed to match what you need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found a mill on craigslist that has just about everything I wanted. Its a denford. My understanding they ran their own proprietary hardware/software. Good news is, purchase included gecko g540 with power supply and uc100 smooth stepper. With that being said I understand guys have found a way to wire in a breakout board to run mach3 while retaining the original power supply, drivers, spindle board etc. etc.

I really like the factory configuration and would prefer to wire in a single board and keep everything in its place rather than tearing it all out and replacing with the g540 components.
    Your topboard is slightly older than the one I had on mine, but you should be able to control the x/y/z axis and get access to the limit switches in the same way I did here:

https://www.summet.com/blog/2016/01/...-axis-control/

It does not appear that your mill is using the speed control output from the Balfor bottom board (does it just have a plain "on/off" control without speed control?

Jay

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by summetj View Post
    It does not appear that your mill is using the speed control output from the Balfor bottom board (does it just have a plain "on/off" control without speed control?
    Great blog there Jay!

The OP's MicroMill has speed control via the KBIC control shown in the 4th pic from the top. It's the little board just above the transformer & fan on the rt. side. The manual on/off switch/pot is on the front panel. KB's are great!

I looked a bit closer and his is a later model than mine. His has square/hybrid steppers (mine are old-school round ones) and his control has 2 rectifiers instead of the one mine has. Looks like a bigger transformer too so it probably has more power available. Mine is rated 2A @ 40V. The top board removal & 96 pin header hookup should be the same though.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wow, just dug a little deeper into your blog Jay and I will shut up now. You really know you stuff. In comparison mine was a crude hack job that got the mill working but mostly by luck and a lot of advice from others with way more knowledge than me.

Blackcats: Ignore what I've said and listen to whatever Jay says; he knows this electronics stuff!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone! DICKEYBIRD haha all posts and feedback is much appreciated so by all means keep posting. Thanks again Jay, I believe my spindle is simply on/off with a potentiometer on the front panel to control speed. I'm going to dig a little deeper with the info the DICKEY provided and get a better understanding of how it works. I'm going to order the breakout board tonight. It looks like the c10 is in stock so I'll grab that, the 96 pin and the supporting peripherals. I also have futaba connectors laying around as well so I'll throw those in to keep things neat.

The machine did not come with a key for the master power switch. Does anybody have any clean solutions to bypass this? Should I just replace it with a new switch/key?

Downloads
    Uploads

Hiya, go to Jay's blog & watch all the videos. Great info from a great teacher. You can always tell when someone knows their stuff; they make it so clear!

Milton from Collierville, TN

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks everyone! DICKEYBIRD haha all posts and feedback is much appreciated so by all means keep posting. Thanks again Jay, I believe my spindle is simply on/off with a potentiometer on the front panel to control speed. I'm going to dig a little deeper with the info the DICKEY provided and get a better understanding of how it works. I'm going to order the breakout board tonight. It looks like the c10 is in stock so I'll grab that, the 96 pin and the supporting peripherals. I also have futaba connectors laying around as well so I'll throw those in to keep things neat.

The machine did not come with a key for the master power switch. Does anybody have any clean solutions to bypass this? Should I just replace it with a new switch/key?
    Couldnt you use a simple toggle switch in its place?

Downloads
    Uploads

Found these old .pdf's. May be something there that helps.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-micromill-schematic-pdf   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-micromill-1990s-electrical-drawings-pdf  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Couldnt you use a simple toggle switch in its place?
    Yea I got down and looked and its Just a simple 2 position. I jumped it for quick and dirty but will replace it with another key switch when I get it up and running.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

Milton, Thank you!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ordered the C10 BOB that Jay Summet showed in his blog, a 96 Pin and some wire last night so hoping to have it here within a week or so. Also installed a lic copy of mach3 on my mix-n-match pc and have it generally configured to the sherline with the help of Paul Campbell's basic tutorial:

I'm able to run the roadrunner test and jog the axis on the pc.

The master power switch is a basic 2 position connector so I jumped it and we have power! The board on the back flashes from L to .L. I have no idea what this means as of now but I'm not sure it'll even matter with the new board on the way. I'm going to start thinking about a worktop design that will provide a little more space for when the machine is up and running and maybe something that I can also fit a 3d printer and maybe even a lathe along with some work space.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-1-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-2-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-3-jpg   Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-4-jpg  

Denford/Sherline Micromill running Mach3-5-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

The board on the back flashes from L to .L. I have no idea what this means as of now but I'm not sure it'll even matter with the new board on the way.
    It doesn't matter. The board that the flashing LED is on will have to be removed & discarded.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by summetj View Post
    Your topboard is slightly older than the one I had on mine, but you should be able to control the x/y/z axis and get access to the limit switches in the same way I did here:

Jay
    Happy Easter everyone.

My BOB showed up yesterday and I was able to get everything hooked up using Jay's pin outs allowing me to jog the x,y, and z axis! It was pretty exiting getting to hear the steppers for the first time. However I can't figure out how to configure the E-stop and limit switches in mach3. For the E-stop I have it connected from the input pin 13 on the BOB to A25 on the 96 pin. Then in the mach3 software I tried configuring the input > E-stop to port 1 pin 13 with no luck. I also tried pins 10 and 15 along with a few others, and I also tried things like checking active low for each and enabling digital output?

How were you able to configure your inputs? Our Baldor boards are wired up a little differently, could that possibly have an effect on where I should attach to the 96 pin?

Once I get this figured out I can set up the orientation of each axis, assign soft limits and then I should be pretty much home free. For now I'm going to stick with the potentiometer for spindle control as I feel it provides more than enough control for the current setup..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm almost positive I have the inputs configured correctly in mach. Any ideas how I can test the input pins of my pc's parallel port ?

Downloads
    Uploads

What happens on the diagnostic page within Mach when you trigger a limit, home or estop? Any LEDs change?

Are the limit switches mechanical, if so you should be able to test the pins for continuity easily enough(on the original board). If you were having trouble with the Estop set up, how did you get your axis to move? Just change the active state?

The spindle speed control will be as easy as using the wires on that potentiometer and run them thru your BOB most likely. With a manual/auto switch.

Post pics of the current set up too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast