Need Help! How to Increase RPM on PM-25MV (or similar G0704) - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Increase RPM on PM-25MV (or similar G0704)

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to Increase RPM on PM-25MV (or similar G0704)

Quote Originally Posted by hackish View Post
    Do you mind specifying the parts you ultimately decided on? I haven't decided exactly on mine yet, so if it looks good, I'm not against following the same path.
    Sure Hackish,

The motor I selected is this one:

1.5HP LEESON 3600RPM D80C model C80T34FZ18

It is rated at 20:1 constant torque ratio. The posted max RPM is 3600 RPM, but the manufacture says I can probably take it to 75 Hz.

I'm still trying to decide on the VFD. My original post in this thread has links to VFDs I am looking at for this motor. There are cheaper VFDs like the HUANYANG VFDs you see online but many of them don't have the option to add a breaking resistor. Some of the reviews on these units also make me nervous.

I am also looking online for a good deal on a used 1.5 kw Emerson Commander SK VFD. More pricey, but a very good quality unit. I'll finalize the other components once I have the VFD figured out.

Downloads
    Uploads

What does 75hz give you? About 4500 RPM? I wonder what the proper CnC manufacturers are using to get 10k RPM?

Downloads
    Uploads

All the 3600 RPM motors have a smaller in diameter rotors compared to a 1750. The max rotational speed should be a lot higher for the smaller rotor. The real frequency limit is the inductance of the motor. It will produce less torque over 75 Hz. Still I see no reason not to run to 100hz. I have run mine like that often. The fan makes a fair amount of noise. The better motors like the Leason generally are balanced well and run smooth at most RPM.

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Downloads
    Uploads

What does 75hz give you? About 4500 RPM? I wonder what the proper CnC manufacturers are using to get 10k RPM?
    About 22kw servo's (30hp, 122nm give or take) looking at a Haas.
    Plenty of power there for belt driven overdrive spindle via timing pulleys/belt.

Downloads
    Uploads

I always thought the big machines used direct drive spindles. I wasn't thinking of a big 30hp vmc, as I think a small one can be had at about 3hp.

Downloads
    Uploads

I always thought the big machines used direct drive spindles. I wasn't thinking of a big 30hp vmc, as I think a small one can be had at about 3hp.
    Had a look at the Syil X7. Advertised as 2.2kw, looks a bit misleading that one.
    Yes it has a 2.2kw driver but motor itself shows as 1.1kw AC induction.
    https://manualzz.com/doc/7089976/use...-top-cnc-mills
    1450rpm so again belt overdriven to achieve 200-6000rpm.

I think the Tormach is belted overdriven as well.

Never seen a servo or induction motor rated to 10krpm so they need a belt drive setup to bump them up.
    Only seen those smooth spindles like you see on the routers rated to higher rpm which I reckon wouldn't be any good on a mill. Prob due to insufficient torque.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post

I think the Tormach is belted overdriven as well.
    I could be wrong, but from the research I've done, the PNC1100 uses a 1.5 hp motor that is over driven up to 85 Hz (5,100 RPM). It is belt driven.

Leeson is telling me I can over drive my motor up to 75 Hz (4500 RPM). If the spindle doesn't give me too much vibration, I plan on pushing it to 85 Hz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Update

Leeson has gone above and beyond. Since the motor I ordered won't be in stock for another 6 weeks, they went ahead and shipped me a similar motor but with a different face from their warehouse in Indianapolis. They also shipped me the face I need to essentially convert it into the same motor I ordered. It arrived today.

How to Increase RPM on PM-25MV (or similar G0704)-leeson-c-face-b14-jpg

I also pulled the trigger on a new Emerson 2hp VFD (SKBD200150) on ebay.

Time to start working on my CAD/CAM files and installing 220V in my shop.

Last edited by CNCJoseph; 11-16-2018 at 08:00 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

this is how I did speed up my machine - up to 10 000 rpm
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/bench...704-ideas.html

just one comment, at begining the top two bearings even at 6000 rpm were wery hot.(not the spindle bearings) I took them out to change them, but they looked OK, mounted them back and from then, they work up to 10 000 without heating.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been flipping between the two ideas for a while now. I think I understand the relationship between ultimate motor torque and RPM now. Basically, the diameter of the motors with high torque is larger and they can't spin fast enough. I have a friend who balances turbochargers to 150k RPM, so it could be an option to use one of his balancers and try to balance the guts of a motor if it vibrates too much. I'm really liking the Leeson experience and leaning that way.

Need to finish up the actual CnC kit first. Does anyone know if a kit can be bought that doesn't require you to buy all the parts? IE ballscrews and motor mounts are a waste of time for me. Also, I wonder if a spindle upgrade like this would conflict with the Z-Axis?

Downloads
    Uploads

I've been flipping between the two ideas for a while now. I think I understand the relationship between ultimate motor torque and RPM now. Basically, the diameter of the motors with high torque is larger and they can't spin fast enough. I have a friend who balances turbochargers to 150k RPM, so it could be an option to use one of his balancers and try to balance the guts of a motor if it vibrates too much. I'm really liking the Leeson experience and leaning that way.

Need to finish up the actual CnC kit first. Does anyone know if a kit can be bought that doesn't require you to buy all the parts? IE ballscrews and motor mounts are a waste of time for me. Also, I wonder if a spindle upgrade like this would conflict with the Z-Axis?
    I don't know of anybody that sells partial kits. Try reaching out to the guys who make conversion kits and asking them.

However, if you already have ballscrews and motor mounts, it might be quicker and easier to finish the conversion yourself. You could simply use long standoffs to mount the stepper motors. If you don't have a lathe to make your own standoffs, McMaster sells them in various sizes and materials. You may have to stack different sizes to get room for the coupler between the stepper motor and ballscrew.

So far I'm really glad I went the Leeson motor route. My motor arrived last night and I was able to get the face plates swapped out without any trouble. I'll post pictures later today when I have more time. From what I've heard, these Leeson motors wont' vibrate much, even at 10k rpm. Your biggest source of vibration will probably be your spindle and pulleys. Since both pulleys are made from aluminum, the two steel grub screws that are used to secure them to the shaft throws them off balance. Even if the spindle was perfectly machined, there's also a grub screw in the spindle that keeps the collet from rotating which throws the spindle off balance. All of these components would have to be dynamically balanced separately. I have actually toyed around with the idea of making my own dynamic ballancer for other projects. When I was a student at school, we had a dynamic ballancer in our engineering lab that we had to master to pass our vibrations course. That was more than ten years ago, but I think I still remember the key concepts.

But, now you've given me a new idea to add more scope to my project I should mount an accelerator at specific points on my machine and take readings at specific RPM. I can then compare the differences in vibrations at the same points before and after the conversion at those same RPM. Should be an interesting experiment.

From the preliminary measuring and CAD work I've done, I don't foresee any issues with clearing the Z axis stepper motor. You'll be able to see for yourself as this project progresses. Just keep in mind I have at least a dozen other projects in work so it might take a while.

Last edited by CNCJoseph; 11-20-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

CnCJoesph, I have many of the components and the difficulty is that the kits are always made for NEMA standard size motors and my servos are metric panasonic units. The mounts are done and I have the dual nuts and screws. The problem is the end caps and ball screw mounts. These parts all need an assembled mill to make, and are the least difficult and expensive to produce. I don't know if manufacturers think I'm going to go into production and thus won't sell simple parts - they seldom even respond. It's the hours of messing about with bearings, shims and mounts that I would prefer to avoid.

With respect to the pulleys, put 2 or 3 screws in at equal angles. I do think the slot milled out of the spindle shaft will cause an imbalance, but maybe someone could just mill the same size out 180 degrees. I've looked at the PM25 head a few times and wondered how feasable it would be to produce an entirely new unit. Converted to CnC, we don't need the quill, and with a VFD, a lot of hardware gets removed. I've even seen replacement cartridges the support bt30 type holders.

Last edited by hackish; 11-20-2018 at 01:02 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I think the Tormach 1100 (series 3) is a 4-pole motor that can go to around 4500 RPM and then like a 1.2:1 pulley in top range.
    On TEFC motors, the fan will consume a lot more power as you increase the RPM (square law I think.) Also, it may want to explode at higher RPM's. Other limitations to high RPM's are the motor bearings and balancing of the rotor.
    So just because 1 motor can do 6000 RPM, doesn't mean another can.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    On TEFC motors, the fan will consume a lot more power as you increase the RPM (square law I think.)
    I think on a 1.5hp motor, the frictional losses of turning a 5" fan through air will not be a big enough loss to worry about.

Downloads
    Uploads

I've looked at the PM25 head a few times and wondered how feasable it would be to produce an entirely new unit. Converted to CnC, we don't need the quill, and with a VFD, a lot of hardware gets removed. I've even seen replacement cartridges the support bt30 type holders.
    I would be a huge fan of a BT30 holder on my machine. Let me know if you ever explore this path further. One concern I have about upgrading to 1.5 HP is the TTS style tool holders pulling out with my favorite 1/2" carbide cutters. I've had it happen before with the stock motor. It left an ugly mark on my hardened vice jaws and destroyed the $80 cutter. In hindsight, I wasn't being as careful as I should to make sure oil never gets on the TTS collet or tools.

Downloads
    Uploads

I really think cast iron would be the best material, and the head itself doesn't seem like it would be terribly expensive or complicated to have cast. Many years ago I had some prototypes cast (of AL) and they came out to under $100 each. Even if I dropped $250 on a rough casting for a new head I could machine and subsequently install a BT30 cartridge in, it is probably something I'd do. Of course not that I love machining cast iron. Ugh.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted to close the loop on my spindle motor upgrade for anyone else who decided to tackle this project. First of all, thanks so much to everyone who shared their insight and experience with this project. It was all very much appreciated.

This is the motor and VFD I ended up using:

1.5 HP Leeson 3600 RPM electric motor $275
    DURApulse GS3-22P0 VFD $293

I now have more than enough horse power for anything I throw at my PM-25MV. I can also operate at up to 6000 rpm, but I would say the machine is happiest at up to 5000 rpm. I was hoping for 7500 rpm, but the spindle starts to vibrate too much above 5000 rpm.

As far as the setup goes. The motor fits just fine using the stock pulleys and belt. All I had to do was machine a new motor mount and bore out the motor pulley on my lathe to fit over the end of the larger Leeson motor shaft.

What I love about this upgrade:
    1. No need to change the belt to the 1:2 speed ratio since the motor has plenty of pour. I have even tapped 22 mm holes with the new setup using the 1:1 speed ration.
    2. The VFD controlled spindle speed and direction is extremely easy to control via Centroid Acorn / pendant.
    3. Tapping is really easy since I can reduce the spindle speed to 120 RPM.
    4. I have more HP than I know what to do with.
    5. I have more than doubled my spindle speed.
    6. I can now machine parts ~20% faster.

What I don't love about this upgrade:
    1. I had to upgrade the spindle bearings to AC bearings. The runout is three times worse with the new bearings. I even tried replacing the bearings thinking I got a bad set. Same issue, and these are the same bearings everyone uses to upgrade their spindle bearings. Replacing these bearings is a pain.
    2. I'm having issues with large diameter (1/2"+) end cutters pulling out. I currently use Tormach's TTS. Iv'e tried thoroughly cleaning the inside of my spindle, R8 collet, tool holders, etc. Still have issues, even when manually clamping down the drawbar with wrenches.
    3. Chips are being ejected out the top of my enclosure even though my enclosure has 5 ft high walls. I need to make a roof for my enclosure.
    4. To fully realize the ability of my upgraded drive system, I should probably upgrade to flood coolant.
    5. This project gets very expensive very fast. By the time you factor in line filters, proper VFD motor cable, upgrading your shop with a 220V outlet, upgrading your control box with new circuit breakers, adding a contactor connected to E-stop to remove power to your VFD (highly recommended), etc. You're easily talking at least $1500.

As far as productivity, I can now run the same parts 20% faster than I did before the upgrade. Roughing is where you'll see the biggest improvement in speed. However, for the best finishing cuts, I still find myself running at lower feeds and speeds similar to what I used before the upgrade.

Would I recommend you do this upgrade to your machine? If you are contemplating this upgrade as a hobbyist, it is definitely a fun and challenging project, however, I think there are some other projects I would cross off my list first. Definitely don't consider this project unless you already have a full enclosure (not just sides but roof as well) and possible flood coolant as well. You'll love how easy it is to control the VFD using your CNC control board. If you're contemplating this upgrade to improve productivity to manufacture and sell parts on the side, you're probably looking at a 20% increase in production capability. I would definitely first have an enclosure. You might want to invest in a power drawbar first. That's where you'll probably see the biggest improvement in productivity, particularly on complex parts where you have to do many tool changes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just throwing out an option here. (Not that I'm in a position to try this myself).

Similar to the DMM servos that rcheli mentioned, earlier in this thread, might I suggest as an alternate servo for consideration. TEKNIC.

For example, check out the CPM-MCVC-N0563P-RLN. A 230 volt, 3-phase servo, rated at 1.8 Kw, putting out a flat torque of 1,147 oz-in across it's entire speed range, all the way up to nearly 2700 rpm.
    As a motor, it has plenty of reserve 'oomf', with peak torque being 4x higher 4,650 oz-in. And it weighs only 25 lb. That's very lightweight.

Not enough power? the same motor, is offered with a cooling fan and shroud. The CMP-MCVC-N0563A-RLN gets rated at nearly 3Kw (4 hp) continuous, with a respectable increase in it's continuous torque. Weight increases to 27 lb.

One of the main advantages of TEKNIC motors in general are how easy they are to interface with. For example, they have built in controllers (fully opto-isolated) which can take a PWM signal for speed control.

Of course, all of this costs. But you can figure in some money saved by not needing a VFD or complicated interface electronics to your controller. Plus, it's nice not having to deal with mounting a bulky servo-controller box near by.

Unresolved issues: I don't know if this motor, which uses 3-phase, would be happy with a static converter. It might require a rotary converter.

I have no association with TEKNIC. This is just me, dreaming a big 'what if'. So, that's all I have to offer.

Downloads
    Uploads

My Setup on my G0704 is a Allen Bradley MPL-A330P-SJ22AA motor on an Ultra 3000 servo drive. 5000rpm at the servo, 1:1 belt drive to the spindle through GT3 curvilinear timing pulleys and a nylon fabric faced belt. I get constant torque up to 2800 rpm and full HP up to 5000 rpm (the torque drop off is minimal, maybe 20%?). Noise level is low, even at 5000 rpm (73 dBA) and the 1:1 gearing should make rigid tapping easy. 1.8kW (2.3HP)

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! I read the all thread and since there are several options I would like to ask whether there is a more straight forward modification to speed up the spindle. Like a gear change to 1:1 (my motor is rated for 5600rpm) or a new motor with more power and rpm, that is compatible and I only have to replace the current one. Thanks for the help! Ah I have a optimum BF20L, basically the same of a G0704 except that I have MT2 spindle and not Mt3 unfortunately ( no TTS tool for MT2 so far :-( )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123