G0704 Motor Upgrade For 110v

Thread: G0704 Motor Upgrade For 110v

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 Motor Upgrade For 110v

I have a Weiss VM25L (essentially same as G0704) CNC conversion that supposedly has an 1100w/1.5HP motor. I currently use Hoss' belt drive for ~5k rpm with a 1.2:1 timing ratio. Even with the stock belt drive that did 2250 rpm, I could hear the motor doing some heavy work to keep up. I just doubt it has much for torque at the top end, but that's kind of ridiculous considering it's supposed to be a 1.5HP motor. With the pulleys it's even worse, understandably, and I believe it's causing chatter during cuts. Was doing tests yesterday with an indexable 1 flute 1/2 endmill and even in relatively light cuts in aluminum it has terrible surface finish and the rpms bog down. I see some older posts about new motor upgrades where people are taking pretty hefty cuts even with something like a 3/8 endmill. I doubt it's a rigidity issue since some people are taking such heavy cuts with great surface finishes.

So I'm looking at different motors but the main problem is most seem to be 220v 3ph motors. I only have access to 110v single phase in my garage with my mill so I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I use a Masso control board and it would be nice if I could use a 1:1 pulley ratio with that to automate the spindle but that's not necessarily critical. I'd like at least 5000rpm and at least 1HP as long as the torque is well off enough at the high end of the band that I can take some beefier cuts with decent finishes. If possible I'd also like to avoid a VFD/Chinese router spindle. Dealt with these in the past on my router and it was just no fun.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Motor Upgrade For 110v

Surface finish and power aren't usually too related. Have you tried using a solid carbide 3/8" end mill? Single insert end mills are usually roughers. Single flute/insert with no helix is about the worst you can do for surface finish.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah I've mostly used solid carbide. It's obviously much different, but they still load down the spindle (mainly 3/8, not so much 1/4) to a degree and I believe I get some more chatter in general than I used to before converting to the 5k rpm belt drive. I wish I would have tried to cut steel with the stock setup for a comparison but I know now that it cuts pretty poorly. Like I said in the original post, I think it just doesn't have much torque anymore since it's got the larger pulley on the motor now when it was the opposite before.

Downloads
    Uploads

Just wanted to make sure you were aware that a new motor may not improve your surface finish.
    Unfortunately I don't have much to add about motor options. If you're trying to go on the cheap, treadmill motors and their controllers are that. But not sure if you'll see any performance increase, 120v treadmill motors are typically rated around 1.5HP or less continuous.
    There are a few VFD's that run off 120V and output 240V, but I haven't read many good things about them.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah most of my research has only shown that if you want something good, that will last, it's a 3ph 220v motor and VFD. I think I may just end up doing that (and swallowing the hefty price tag on top) and wire up a 220v outlet to my garage. Supposedly it's pretty easy and it would let me get a decent welder too which I've been wanting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Check your local codes, may need to hire a licensed electrician. Some places it's just running the Romex and wiring into the panel and plug though.

I ran the 220V to my garage myself. I can say that it was done illegally. That said, it's not a complicated process. Would I want to wire my entire home, where my family lives? No.

The garage is simple though. Cost me like $300 all said an done. I installed a proper circuit panel, light switches, ran wiring inside the walls and replaced the knob and tube wiring, installed wall outlets, etc.. It might not be to code, as I'm not a trained electrician, but it sure as hell beats the pants off the old system.

Downloads
    Uploads

There are 110V input VFDs.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Check your local codes, may need to hire a licensed electrician. Some places it's just running the Romex and wiring into the panel and plug though.
    Ah yes, forgot about that actually. Guess I'll have it done just to be on the safe side. This motor upgrade project is gonna be a dent lol.