Understanding Mill Specs

Thread: Understanding Mill Specs

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Understanding Mill Specs

The specifications on the Grizzly G0704 list the table size and travel as this:

Table travel (longitudinal): 18-7/8"
    Table travel (cross): 6-7/8"
    Table size: 7-1/16" x 26-5/8"

I am trying to calculate the maximum x/y dimensions that it can mill. Would I be correct is assuming that this is calculated by adding the dimension + max travel (i.e. 7-1/16 + 6-7/8 cross)?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Understanding Mill Specs

So what it's saying is you have 6 7/8" is usable travel in X and 18 7/8" in Y. In truth, it's probable 6.5" x 18.5" in travel with whatever you have on Z. The tabel size listed is just that, the actual size of the table, which you will never get the full use because of the dovetail ways on the machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by j_omega View Post
    The specifications on the Grizzly G0704 list the table size and travel as this:

Table travel (longitudinal): 18-7/8"
    Table travel (cross): 6-7/8"
    Table size: 7-1/16" x 26-5/8"

I am trying to calculate the maximum x/y dimensions that it can mill. Would I be correct is assuming that this is calculated by adding the dimension + max travel (i.e. 7-1/16 + 6-7/8 cross)?
    Table travel size will be your max milling area. Actual table size means nothing it's all about travel.
    Then you also have to factor in the size of cutter you use and deduct that from travel.
    eg.
    Y axis travel 6-7/8 (175mm)
    If you're going to use a 0.315" (8mm) cutter then:
    Deduct cutter size=
    Max milling area on the Y is 6-9/16 approx (167mm)

It's handy if you have access to another mill even if it's just a mini one because generally you can clean up the base slot and gain another 1/2" (10-15mm) cross Y travel on some of these machines.

Long travel X will be the same again: 18-7/8, deduct your cutter size, that gives you your maximum travel.

I've only had a X2 mini mill so far, I'm getting an equivalent to the G0704 delivered in the next week or so.
    I need something bigger as the X2 was short on the X travel when using a face mill.
    I bought the solid base upgrade for it early on and used the mill as it was to clean up the slot before fitting. Took the Y travel from 130mm up to 162mm in the end with no loss of rigidity

X2 will now be used to make the parts to convert the new one to cnc and to clean up the base slot on it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! This was very helpful.