60" x 40" new build - Page 4

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 60" x 40" new build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 60" x 40" new build

I got it all working, well i have one driver that wont fire but the rest is working. Whew.

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a chunk of wire insulation that slipped under my gantry and was stalling the motor tripping the red light on the driver. Pretty happy with the x and y axis speeds. Thanks for your help Ger.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

If anyone has a clue on how i should connect my spindle/vfd to the ESS so i can control the spindle from mach3?

I know i want to use FOR & DCM and V1 & ACM , but not clear where to connect on the ESS? I have a few bobs, but not sure if i even need one.

Downloads
    Uploads

Your CNC looks very good. I am planning to build my first CNC router following a similar design.
    Is there a particular reason to use an aluminum plate for the gantry ? I can ask a friend to cut a thick steel plate for the gantry with an industrial CNC Plasma cutter. Is there any advantage to use steel? Is it going to be too heavy for this application ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by bikesherpa View Post
    Your CNC looks very good. I am planning to build my first CNC router following a similar design.
    Is there a particular reason to use an aluminum plate for the gantry ? I can ask a friend to cut a thick steel plate for the gantry with an industrial CNC Plasma cutter. Is there any advantage to use steel? Is it going to be too heavy for this application ?
    Thank you. I just completed my first dry run,

Its been 5 years since ive done that. .

I used aluminum because we have alot of scrap laying around and it was all free. I dont know enough about this stuff to answer your weight question like others can. but some guys do use granite blocks so id guess weight is not too much of an issue? Thanks.!

Downloads
    Uploads

First cut
    https://www.*****ute.com/video/BFgSTNbZXKD7/
    https://kek.gg/u/6y5t

Its "bit chute" not "***** ute" lol

Last edited by Jdubya; 03-03-2019 at 02:30 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still trying to understand exactly how to get mach3 to control my huanyang 400hz vfd. Not a big deal, but its a challenge now.. Im looking at trying this C41 board.

https://cnc4pc.com/c41s-pwm-variable...rol-board.html

None of my bobs have any relays and i think my ess c25 board needs a relay. Not sure yet. .

Im in over my head with the electronics part, but thats never stopped me before. Ill keep reading. I have not let the smoke out yet.

Last edited by Jdubya; 03-06-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Shields up!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60" x 40" new build-20190306_150618-jpg   60" x 40" new build-20190306_150637-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Testing endmills.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60" x 40" new build-20190307_221509-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Finally figured out how to set up my machine home, g54 position and got all the soft limits set and working great.

I had some issues with a large cut growing in size by the end of the cut like i was gaining a half inch or so. Seemed like it might be related to the multicore prossesor and switching the device to standard pc was supposed to be the fix but i lost all the drivers and spent a week trying to get the xp network to load again but xp.. argg... .

Finally set up a windows 7 laptop and rebuilt the mach 3 setting there. Still testing but so far so good.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jdubya View Post
    Finally figured out how to set up my machine home, g54 position and got all the soft limits set and working great.

I had some issues with a large cut growing in size by the end of the cut like i was gaining a half inch or so. Seemed like it might be related to the multicore prossesor and switching the device to standard pc was supposed to be the fix but i lost all the drivers and spent a week trying to get the xp network to load again but xp.. argg... .

Finally set up a windows 7 laptop and rebuilt the mach 3 setting there. Still testing but so far so good.
    Still having some issue with my soft limits. If I go to the min 0 far left and then travel to the max limit and then back to zero, the x axis keeps getting closer to my gantry. I will play with motor tuning.

Downloads
    Uploads

Still having some issue with my soft limits. If I go to the min 0 far left and then travel to the max limit and then back to zero, the x axis keeps getting closer to my gantry. I will play with motor tuning.
    So as i hit the max limit on the right, the motor ramps down and stops, but the numbers in x axis keep moving the last .100 or so. This is where it grows. . Hmmm

Downloads
    Uploads

I am definatly losing steps in the + direction on the x axis. I swapped out the driver and its still doing it.

If i hit the x+ really lightly, the machine coordinates move but the motor wont. X- key seems to work fine.

Downloads
    Uploads

I figured it out. I bought an ebay pendant to try. Thats when i noticed the problem. Even though i turned off that driver pluggin and unplugged the unit, the driver reloads. Once deleted, it works fine again. .

Can anyone recommend a good pendant?

Edit: actually scratch that. If I y+ then z+, i then miss steps on x+. But if I y-, then z+, my x works fine. What the heck...

Last edited by Jdubya; 03-19-2019 at 08:11 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

finally fixed my machine. I took off the add on terminal board off my ESS board and wired a 26 pin plug from port 1 of my ESS directly to my drivers. Pendant works as it should, soft limits and homing all work again, no more losing steps. No more crashing... . Yay!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Machine is still working perfectly. I took apart an old dayton 2 axis vise and used the top part as a low profile vise.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60" x 40" new build-20190421_162001-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Howdy all!

Its been a while since ive posted. I have been focusing on learning fusion360 the last few months. Im getting to where i can draw what i need to keep moving forward.

I decided to try and push my machine on some steel since it does ok with aluminum.

I am not a machinist so I am still learning what works and what doesn't the hard way.

A quick test vid of a 1/4" endmill making .200" depth passes. I tried .400" full depth cut but it was too much chatter for my little spindle/machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

Childhood dreams coming true.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60" x 40" new build-20191006_174650-jpg   60" x 40" new build-20191006_174644-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Ive decided to fill the void/hollow area in my gantry with epoxy granite. Then i will fill my Ibeam base voids.

That might dampen some of my harmonics.

Since none of it will be visible, should i just use sand since i dont care about the finish or looks? I am after rigidity.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast