Manual vs Powered pendant control of Mill

Thread: Manual vs Powered pendant control of Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Manual vs Powered pendant control of Mill

Can any-one with a CNC converted mill comment how using a pendant/hand held type control compares to winding handles manually?

My guess it should be better - faster and easier to move the machine but how does it work in practice?

Also any info on controller types for this would be welcome

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Manual vs Powered pendant control of Mill

I'm a big fan of my pendant. I have the el-cheapo wireless XHC pendant. It's pretty easy to use. You can select the speed that you jog at, and it has an MPG and incremental mode, so you can jog in specified distances. Nice for doing accurate hand work. The only real downside to a pendant (with an MPG) for actual machining is you can only move 1 axis at a time.

Downloads
    Uploads

For some work I like to hand crank my machine, for other work I use the keyboard jog function (no pendant) mostly for quick facing, and of course use CNC for most work.

It just depends on how you want to run your machine. I do have a pendant on my lathe and the other mill and I'm not that comfortable trying to machine something using them. Normally just used for setting tools and stuff like that.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA

The XHC is good as are the VistaCNC units.

I have things that I like and love about both. Ulimately the Vista CNC unit is a much better unit, but it was also vastly more expensive.

With full coolant it's not much fun turning handles. So with a pendant I can close the enclosure and do some work. It's also nice to be able to work the machine remotely, i.e. stand 15 feet away and work on a project while have an e-stop with me.

Is it faster? Yes and no. You can sure set the feed way up and move it like you would if you had power feeds. Or you can move it really slow and in really precise increments.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by men8ifr View Post
    Can any-one with a CNC converted mill comment how using a pendant/hand held type control compares to winding handles manually?

My guess it should be better - faster and easier to move the machine but how does it work in practice?

Also any info on controller types for this would be welcome
    I haven't got pendant yet. I use wireless keyboard jog function.
    I'm thinking of hooking up the xbox controller.

It's so much quicker and easier.
    Good point: You can't feel what you're doing.
    Bad point: You can't feel what you're doing.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have a VistaCNC P4-S and I love it. Originally I missed being able to feel what I was cutting but I've gotten over that. I do most operations CNC but I use the pendant for touching off the tool to the work, squaring material, or really simple cuts. The one thing that I don't like about this pendant is that is seems to be sensitive to static electricity and/or EMF. I had some of those cheap interlocking foam mats on the floor and had to remove them. As soon as I would step on the mat the pendant would loose connectivity with the PC. In the dead of winter when the air is real dry it was more of a problem. Also, since I switched my spindle motor to a servo motor it acts up once in a while. I am slowly making changes to hopefully eliminate the issue.

Downloads
    Uploads

I too have a VistaCNC, a P2S and it's fantastic. I use it with all my machines (CNC mill, CNC router and CNC plasma cutter). It's most used with the mill by far. I selected this model because I can use it with Mach 3 or UCCNC. With a good pendant you can "manually" machine using the pendant. It's very precise and the ability to set the exact cut speed and/or move to an exact location/distance is invaluable for simple cuts or surfacing when you don't have the need to run code. I wasn't sure I'd really use one, but now that I have, I'd never be without one. I highly recommend the VistaCNC pendants. Their support and service is top notch.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I haven't got pendant yet. I use wireless keyboard jog function.
    I'm thinking of hooking up the xbox controller.
    I have been using a Tormach in another shop and and the pendent jog shuttle is great.
    https://www.tormach.com/store/index....show&ref=30616

i has two concentric dials, one for stepping and one for free jogging that is speed sensitive. the tactile response is what makes this incredibly useful. 3 buttons for selecting each axis and a fourth button to change step increments.

and YES, it is the SAME as a Contour ShuttleXpress which is discontinued and available on ebay. and plugin available for mach 3.

and for my DIY minimill at home, i have used a playstation controller, it is not nearly the same or as effective as the shuttlexpress. its really not much better than using the keyboard. i dont recommend it.

also, i think putting manual hand wheels on the back end of a dual ended motor is a good thing, for when the system is powered down, you still have a way to move the axis easily, like bringing the Z up, especially after an E-stop.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you put hand wheels on the back of the motors make sure they're somewhat balanced. Normal manual mill handwheels with cranks will make the whole mill shudder at the speeds that steppers run.