g0704 spindle upgrade

Thread: g0704 spindle upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default g0704 spindle upgrade

hello,

spindle motor died on my g0704 last night, and i was wondering what is the best thing to replace it with. im open to anything, its currently converted to belt drive, and machining new brackets/pulleys is no problem. i mostly cut soft metals, with the occasional mild steel.

most of the info ive found is outdated, and i would like to get some member feedback

3 phase, brushless dc, servo whats out there?

thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: g0704 spindle upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by blackie9900 View Post
    hello,

spindle motor died on my g0704 last night, and i was wondering what is the best thing to replace it with. im open to anything, its currently converted to belt drive, and machining new brackets/pulleys is no problem. i mostly cut soft metals, with the occasional mild steel.

most of the info ive found is outdated, and i would like to get some member feedback

3 phase, brushless dc, servo whats out there?

thanks

I was looking at one of these not long ago (for a smaller machine)
    https://www.fasttobuy.com/18kw-220v-...er_p35894.html
    Thinking 2kw now though and branded.

Was thinking 1:1.33 pulley ratio giving 4000rpm at the spindle (I hear it's the max for the bearings).
    https://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belt.aspx

I'm getting a new machine instead now to replace it which is 1.1kw & 3k spindle rpm. If the spindle ever fails on this machine I will get the one I linked for it myself. Majority of these systems look identical.

Downloads
    Uploads

I just converted my Sieg X3 spindle which is of a similar size to a DMM DYN4 1.8kw servo. It works great and I can now do rigid tapping. It is a lot quieter than the old gears were. I have it geared 1:1.8 with give me 5400 RPM on the spindle.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/x3-sx...-software.html

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rcheli View Post
    I just converted my Sieg X3 spindle which is of a similar size to a DMM DYN4 1.8kw servo. It works great and I can now do rigid tapping. It is a lot quieter than the old gears were. I have it geared 1:1.8 with give me 5400 RPM on the spindle.
    https://www.cnczone.com/forums/x3-sx...-software.html
    This set?
    https://cnc4pc.com/dmm-dyn4-servo-kit-1800w.html
    Has a lower rpm than the one I looked at so you'd need a 1:2 ratio to max the spindle to 6krpm.
    However the torque rating on it looks pretty big to overcome that.
    Looks good.

Have you integrated it into Linux for spindle control?
    For future reference could I be cheeky & ask
    1: Do you have it set for speed or torque mode?
    2: Which JP4 connector pins did you use for (on/off, fwd/rev, 0-10v +/-)
    I think that's all I'd need to know unless there's anything else useful you suggest.

I use Mach3 but it's more or less the same outputs to run it.

Thanks.
    Daz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    This set?
    https://cnc4pc.com/dmm-dyn4-servo-kit-1800w.html
    Has a lower rpm than the one I looked at so you'd need a 1:2 ratio to max the spindle to 6krpm.
    However the torque rating on it looks pretty big to overcome that.
    Looks good.

Have you integrated it into Linux for spindle control?
    For future reference could I be cheeky & ask
    1: Do you have it set for speed or torque mode?
    2: Which JP4 connector pins did you use for (on/off, fwd/rev, 0-10v +/-)
    I think that's all I'd need to know unless there's anything else useful you suggest.

I use Mach3 but it's more or less the same outputs to run it.

Thanks.
    Daz.
    Yes. I chose 1:1.8 for 5400 but another member on this board (Lt. Dan) used 1:2 for 6000 on his. I'm running in speed mode. I'm using a Mesa 5i25+7i76+7i83 combo. I could have used a relay an skipped using the 7i83 but I thought this was cleaner and easier. I may want to add a second high speed spindle to do circuit board cutting in the future and the 7I83 will make that a lot easier. The 7i76 has a 0 to 10 volt interface and the 7i83 has six -10 to +10 volt outputs. I use a relay that applies the enable/disable signal to pin 15 ENA.

Yes I have integrated it in to the LinuxCNC speed control. The screen buttons work and M3 runs forward and M4 runs reverse and M5 stop. I fed the encoder output A and B channels back to LinuxCNC along with an index signal from a slotted optical sensor that I mounted the spindle . All of that allows rigid taping.

0 volts = off
    Positive voltage is ON forward
    Negative is ON reverse

I used these pins

1 - COM
    13 - AIN+
    15 - ENA
    16 - +24VIN
    25 - AIN-

You should also buy the programming cable that will allow you to set the drive parameters from a PC and test the drive/motor combo before you install it. I went whole hog and bought the regenerative braking resistor on the advice of DMM tech support. If you decide to go this route I can give you the parameters that I am using. Just a note even though it says the max speed is 3000 that is if you are running on 240 volts which is the max. My measured line voltage in 236 volt. I'm getting 5325 at the spindle. I know when I was running just the motor with the test/tuning software the motor would get real close to 3000 and if I commanded more than 3000 the motor speed dropped off.

John

Downloads
    Uploads

One other thing. Even though you see +/- 10 volt every where when I went through the setup in LinuxCNC it asked me what the speed at 5 volts was and per the DMM documentation that would be 5 volts. 10 volts is for 6000 rpm which this drive/motor is not capable of. Some of the smaller servos are capable of 6000 rpm. So at full speed my 7i83 is putting out 5 volts to the drive.