Need Help! Steps-per-minute settings problems / LMS Mini Mill / Mach3 / Fusion CNC / Probotix

Thread: Steps-per-minute settings problems / LMS Mini Mill / Mach3 / Fusion CNC / Probotix

Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy Steps-per-minute settings problems / LMS Mini Mill / Mach3 / Fusion CNC / Probotix

Hello All-

This is my first post and my first CNC machine (new to me but not new). Thank you in advance for your time and patience, as I don't know g-code or xml or CAM software, only Rhino CAD.

SETUP : Little Machine Shop Mini Mill, FusionCNC conversion kit, Mach3, Windows 7 machine, Probotix PBX-RF breakout board running Probostep drivers.

1) Got Mach3 up and running and the motors were responding fine to both Jog and Continuous mode from both keyboard and xbox controller.

2) Started to setup step-per-unit in millimeters and the X setup went smoothly but in the Y setup, 1unit (1mm) keeps moving the jog 23mm no matter what I try. Is there a way to reset the step per unit to default?

3) When I moved on to the Z setup, the Z worked fine but now, both Z & X will only go in continuous only slowly, speed inbetween Jog and Continuous.

So, I am looking for a solution to the slow speed in Continuous and Y setup problem: Attached are:
    • Screenshot of Program Run and Settings
    • XML file from Mach3 "LMS_CNC.xml"

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steps-per-minute settings problems / LMS Mini Mill / Mach3 / Fusion CNC / Proboti

Is your windows7 32 bit?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Steps-per-minute settings problems / LMS Mini Mill / Mach3 / Fusion CNC / Proboti

Quote Originally Posted by HANZC View Post
    Hello All-

This is my first post and my first CNC machine (new to me but not new). Thank you in advance for your time and patience, as I don't know g-code or xml or CAM software, only Rhino CAD.

SETUP : Little Machine Shop Mini Mill, FusionCNC conversion kit, Mach3, Windows 7 machine, Probotix PBX-RF breakout board running Probostep drivers.

1) Got Mach3 up and running and the motors were responding fine to both Jog and Continuous mode from both keyboard and xbox controller.

2) Started to setup step-per-unit in millimeters and the X setup went smoothly but in the Y setup, 1unit (1mm) keeps moving the jog 23mm no matter what I try. Is there a way to reset the step per unit to default?

3) When I moved on to the Z setup, the Z worked fine but now, both Z & X will only go in continuous only slowly, speed inbetween Jog and Continuous.

So, I am looking for a solution to the slow speed in Continuous and Y setup problem: Attached are:
    • Screenshot of Program Run and Settings
    • XML file from Mach3 "LMS_CNC.xml"
    As said. Windows7 32bit?
    Are your dip switches on the drivers set correctly?

Downloads
    Uploads

Assuming Units are set to mm - have you tuned the motors to the screws?
    Most steppers have 200 steps / rev so if you have a 16mm / 5mm pitch screw the steps per, tuning will be 200 x 5 = 1,000 steps per revolution
    then that is divided by the pitch to give steps per unit measurement ie. 1,000 / 5 = 200 steps per mm, If your controller outputs micro steps then
    each of those figures would be multiplied by the microstep number ie. 10 microsteps would make 10,000 and 2,000.

There is a routine within Mach3 to check this, see SETTINGS page, btm. left corner - 'Set steps per unit' Follow the instructions and use a dial gauge or similar to measure the movements on each axis. It is surprising the variances in 'actual' screw pitch you get - all mine worked out with odd numbers to 6 decimal places in a 5mm pitch screw. Hoss did a good Youtube video of this if you need assistance......