Problem Sieg X2 conversion about dead?

Thread: Sieg X2 conversion about dead?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Sieg X2 conversion about dead?

Well. A while ago the motor typically tripped and stopped on the X2 after I forgot to lift Z in the G:code before rapid to the next cutting area.
    Mach3 kept the table running and there was enough force to snap the end mill in half. Was running a 8mm 4 flute at 600mm/min with rapid of 1000mm/min at the time. I didn't catch it at the time as I'd gone in the house briefly.

Since then the finishing cuts have marked quite badly. Came out really smooth before.
    I've replaced the spindle (changed to R8), bearings, front of the head (spindle holding part). Taken it completely apart, cleaned and rebuilt it, new bearings all round and new X,Y ballscrews. Tightened all the gibs and it's still pretty bad if anything it's now getting worse.
    Has the solid column, belt drive upgrades, angular bearings, counterweight pulley system, flood cooling etc.

The vibrations I'm getting from it have got quite bad and it screams when doing finishing cuts which it never used to do and the programs I use I've used since day 1 unchanged. Finishing cuts are coming out pretty rough.

It all feels nice and solid when you try to rock everything about head table etc, so I'm out of ideas.
    Could the motor cause these kinds of issues? could it have been that all along?

Any thoughts from you guys or is it dead?

Thanks.
    Daz.

Just thought to mention. Using my direct R8 collets my runout in the spindle is as little as 0.004mm according to the dial indicator so it isn't that.

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by dazp1976; 08-23-2018 at 12:39 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sieg X2 conversion about dead?

Not familiar with the machine, but maybe your tram has been trashed? would lead to scalloping on face cuts (inc. re-cut) and very thin surface re-cut on edges, maybe leading to the screeching.

Don't imagine the motor would be dead. What's it like with the spindle up to full speed without any load?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by i_am_fubar View Post
    Not familiar with the machine, but maybe your tram has been trashed? would lead to scalloping on face cuts (inc. re-cut) and very thin surface re-cut on edges, maybe leading to the screeching.

Don't imagine the motor would be dead. What's it like with the spindle up to full speed without any load?
    I'll look at the tram today but the parts are coming out straight/level along the edges so it might turn out to be o.k.
    There is vibration when spinning idle. A dial gauge fitted at the spindle barely moves at low rpm but then you can see it go a bit mad and hear rattling from it as you go up.
    The column feels solid, spindle feels solid, but when I was feeling around it yesterday while cutting, in terms of vibration:
    The column felt good the table felt ok the spindle felt ok.

The rear section of the head however felt iffy, my fluid nozzles are attached to there and you could see the fluid being vibrated about half the time missing the cutter altogether.
    I'm thinking the forces from the sideways crash may have damaged the dovetails on the head itself sort of like ) kind of shape. The Gib is tight on it, I looked at it yesterday. Might replace the back part of the head if the tram turns out ok.
    I have 2 machines and the manually used one isn't as critical for perfection.
    It's about the only part I aven't swapped over yet.

Daz.

Downloads
    Uploads

Could be the motor shaft has bent then? (I assume this is the X2 with the belt drive between motor and spindle). Try taking that out and measuring runout of the pulley. Or, remove belt and try running just the motor. if your not cutting, the vibration must be coming from motor or transmission.

Downloads
    Uploads

The culprit is likely to be the dovetail box at the back of the head.
    Had to tighten the Gib a bit the other day and the vibrations/marking were made worse.
    I'm thinking there must be damage to the Gib dimples/screws from the crash causing some kind of wobble.
    It's the only part I haven't replaced yet.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is the dovetail box, then I would say put linear rails on the Z-Axis. If the manual mill is big enough, you should be able to take the column off, secure it to the big manual mill and mill the dovetails straight off of the column (as well as the head). From there, pull the head off to get the the back plate and then stick the back plate on the mill. Mill the dovetails off the back plate as well.

Now here's where it gets a little tricky. You will have to find a way to mill precise locations for the bearing blocks on the head plate. From there, drill the holes for the bearings then get them installed and then parallel the rails and your good to go.

Honestly, if this was my mill and I crashed it, I would do exactly that. Turn the machine into another project that can be made into a really nice, sturdy and precise mill for the shop.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would start checking for cracks in the casting. I’ve seen it before. You can get hairline cracks that are really hard to notice.

http://www.heavymetalcnc.com

Downloads
    Uploads

Multiple good suggestions imho.

If parts cut turn out to size, as you said, then the linears are unlikely to be related to the problem.

Since the rpm speed is the trackers, something related to that must be the problem.
    Check motor shaft tir, try to bend/push it.
    Then pulley, couplers, spindle.

One of those in the motion-control or m-c train is likely off.
    You might be able to disconnect the spindle and see if the error at top in coolant still exists.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'll look into all suggestions.
    I did buy a 2nd machine the same not long ago purely for manual drilling.
    So I'm going to strip both down and swap nearly all of the newer ones parts onto the modified rigid base of the cnc'd one.
    All the old parts from the original cnc'd one will go onto the tilting base from the newer one.
    Any kind of vibration/slight damage is not as critical for manual drilling.
    Hopefully swapping all the parts will make a difference.