Possible lathe project

Thread: Possible lathe project

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Possible lathe project

Multiple questions here. Tried searching, but convert box ways linear guides doesn't pull up much helpful
    Background:
    Project idea is to buy an old, but relatively small (12x36 or so) lathe, do a full CNC conversion, including a conversion to using linear guides on the Z axis since the box ways are likely to be in poor condition. That last part is what brings me to the forums to post and not just lurk every now and then!

More background: I'm limiting the size of the lathe because I could strip it down and put it on a haas vf-2 for machining. I don't want to lose much space between the spindle and the ways, so I was thinking I'd mill channels into the original ways to drop them down at least a little bit.

So, questions. First, is this even sane? Would milling channels weaken the existing box ways too much and cause excessive flex? Is there a minimum thickness of iron I should leave? The linear guides themselves should help strengthen it somewhat being hard/rigid themselves and bolted in at regular smallish intervals, but I worry that the lathe was designed with a minimum amount of material for the desired rigidity....though maybe they just threw a bunch of metal at it and hoped

Second: Assuming the channel idea isn't stupid, is there any special finishing needed on these channels? (Please don't say grinding) I have full time access to the milling machine, so its not like a ludicrously slow finishing pass is a problem. Beyond that, should I be doing anything else?

Third: Any additional pitfalls/information I'd likely need?

Fourth: Any better ways of doing this? I'm open to suggestions.

My other idea is to get a large iron plate (or maybe mild steel) bolt the headstock to this, mill channels in this, and you can probably figure out the rest But if I were to do that, maybe it would be better to start from scratch?