Cost to machine dovetails off of G0704 Z Axis

Thread: Cost to machine dovetails off of G0704 Z Axis

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cost to machine dovetails off of G0704 Z Axis

I was wondering if anyone could give me an estimate on how much it would cost to machine the dovetails off of the Z axis column on a G0704. This isn't an RFQ so I didn't post it there, but if this is the wrong section please let me know.

The column is 28" long roughly with about 24" of dovetail, the dovetails are around 0.6" high and 0.4" wide. I want them machined off so I can put linear rails on the surface.

I'm really just looking for an estimate, within $50 or so of the expected cost to get this done. I have no idea how much to expect to pay for something like this.

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cost to machine dovetails off of G0704 Z Axis

Where are you located?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Iowa, United States. I would imagine I would have to try to do it locally since shipping on this thing would be pretty expensive, but I might be wrong.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, I was going to say if you are close enough to me, bring it over and you can use my mill or I would do it for you for an end mill or something, but you are way to far.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ah bummer, I was quoted like $500 from a local place - for that price I could almost afford a plane ticket haha. I don't suppose you know what a fair price would be from a machine shop? I'm thinking an end mill might be a tad on the cheap side, unless I can find someone local that is that generous.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have no idea what a fair price would be since I don't do this professionally, and my end mill remark was just kind of to say I will do it for free and you can buy me an end mill instead of a 6 pack of beer.

To me, $500 sounds like they don't want the job, or they just don't take any jobs less than $500, but I am not in that business so its hard for me to say.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

What part of Iowa? You don't need to be specific, but maybe a little more specific North, South, East, West? Near Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Davenport, Sioux City? Or near a corn field, a bean field, or near some cattle or hogs?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Corn Field, bean field, near cattle and hogs is pretty much all of Iowa . But I'm just south of Ames.

Downloads
    Uploads

I would check with your local colleges/trade schools. Good chance you could get it done cheaper than a machine shop there.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Having done this to my machine, and knowing how much time is involved in getting everything setup properly and machined accurately. I would say $500 would be a fair price for machining the column AND machining the pockets on the vertical slide to accept the bearing blocks. For just the column alone, I'd say in the $300 range would be acceptable. It really depends on the shop though. Bigger shops with more overhead will carry a higher shop rate rather a smaller shop with little overhead.

Shop around to different shops. If you get REALLY high prices, that is a polite way of them saying "We really don't want to do this." I see it all the time in this industry.

www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for reminding to contact my old shop instructor! I completely forgot about that. Hopefully that'll work out well, thanks!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

BTP,

Your thread is actually what made me want to do the linear rail conversion. It seems you are pretty spot on with your price estimates, most of the quotes I've gotten are within that range. Hopefully I can get my machine to work as smooth as your Z axis!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like I stated in my thread it's all about the right setup. You could always send it to me 😊

www.benchtopprecision.com
    | BF20/G0704 Belt Drive Kits | X2 Mini-Mill Belt Drive Kits |

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Really? Where are you located, and how much would it cost?

As a side note, I'm planning on going with Misumi for my linear rails (also for my AC bearings and mounts and... well everything besides my servos actually). Not sure if you've ever checked them out, but they have some great products for a decent price. At the very least it is fun to window shop their website.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by BTP View Post
    Like I stated in my thread it's all about the right setup. You could always send it to me ????
    Are you still doing these conversions. I can send mine out tomorrow.