Newbie How to protect stepper motors from flood coolant? g0704 conversion

Thread: How to protect stepper motors from flood coolant? g0704 conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to protect stepper motors from flood coolant? g0704 conversion

Hello. Im in the process of building a g0704 cnc conversion. I plan to cut aluminum mostly with this. I would like to use a good amount of flood coolant so the parts can be ve very well finished. Im wondering how others have managed to seal off the steppers from coolant splash. My initial idea is to have a coolant pan below the table, so that the table is always draining. Then use simple vertical walls to shield the steppers. However, I think its possible for coolant to still leak past the bearings and couplers. Is this a real issue, or am I over thinking it?

Also, can anybody show pictures of their coolant pans and overall setups?

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to protect stepper motors from flood coolant? g0704 conversion

Having a pan and pump that recirculates the coolant is a good idea, but it won't protect the motors. If you're concerned about that, you need to either shield them from it (not sure how your vertical walls would work) or seal off the motors somehow. I've used plastic bags and tape for that. Steppers aren't as liable to have problems with coolant splash as servos, though - if the liquid gets into the encoders, it can cause them to fail, but usually steppers don't have any.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    Having a pan and pump that recirculates the coolant is a good idea, but it won't protect the motors. If you're concerned about that, you need to either shield them from it (not sure how your vertical walls would work) or seal off the motors somehow. I've used plastic bags and tape for that. Steppers aren't as liable to have problems with coolant splash as servos, though - if the liquid gets into the encoders, it can cause them to fail, but usually steppers don't have any.

Im a bit concerned about bagging up the steppers. On my router, the motors get pretty warm, mildly hot when being used. I am also considering using the hybrid closed loop steppers with encoders as the programms are potentially long. So missed steps will add up in a bad way. Perhaps a wrap around shield, open at the end? I just discovered mist coolant so i might go there instead.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to protect stepper motors from flood coolant? g0704 conversion

Just put a roof like shield over the stepper. Steppers themselves are usually well sealed.

Run your wires in flexible tube. Make sure the tubes hang down at some point before rising higher to leave the enclosure. This means any coolant will drip off at the low point, not run downhill to the motor, or follow the wire out of the enclosure.