Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?

Thread: Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?

I'm planning on getting a Precision Matthews PM30-MV mill.

I'd like to fairly quickly convert it to CNC.

My question is, is there any value to ordering it with the OEM DRO?

I expect I will still perform "manual work" after the CNC conversion. However:

1. I've read that some CNC software can be used as a "poor man's DRO" for manual operations but I've not been able to find much detail on the limitations of such a setup vs a dedicated DRO.

2. I know that some users - for one off work (where a DRO would be useful) - write G-code and perform the task via CNC.

Right now my smaller mill is 100% manual, no DRO, no CNC ... so the above is all hypothetical to me.

Thanks!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?

A DRO would give you a way to confirm that a commanded move went to the coordinates that were specified.

Default Re: Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?

For point 1, forget about it, your point 2 covers it. You won't perform any manual work. I converted my G0704 with this in mind, used dual shaft steppers, figured for sure I'd go manual occasionally. I never have, not even a single time. I can model and program a part then machine it in the same time it takes to manually do it to tolerance. I had DRO on my mill beforehand.

My DRO is in a box on my shelf. I really need to sell it.

Downloads
    Uploads

If you're going to use steppers that can't be disengaged from the screws, you'll never use it manually. If I had a machine with a quill that could disengage the stepper, it might be useful to use as a drill press.. To me the only point to using the mill manually would be the 'feel' of the machine, and steppers mask that because of the high detent torque.
    All milling CNC driving software I've seen (like Mach, LinuxCNC, etc.) have DRO's on screen. When you want to do quick straight cuts you can just use the jog commands or MDI to act like a power feed (with the added benefit of coordinated angle moves with MDI.)

Downloads
    Uploads

Just get an MPG wheel and use that for "manual" milling

Purchasing mill. Any advantage to a DRO if you're planning on CNC conversion?-cnc-pulse-generator-4-axis-mpg-pendant

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by crazybrit View Post
    I'm planning on getting a Precision Matthews PM30-MV mill.

I expect I will still perform "manual work" after the CNC conversion. However:

1. I've read that some CNC software can be used as a "poor man's DRO" for manual operations but I've not been able to find much detail on the limitations of such a setup vs a dedicated DRO.
    Having the CNC DRO available for manual work is really nice. There are no limitations related to using it, works just like any stand alone DRO. But.... Having said that, your CNC software has to support the DRO function when operating manually. It depends on how you're set up and what software/hardware combination you are using.

2. I know that some users - for one off work (where a DRO would be useful) - write G-code and perform the task via CNC.
    Many times I will generate the G Code for a complex one-off part, but for simple jobs many times manual is faster. For instance, today I made a through-coolant drill bit holder for my lathe. Just a cylinder that I turned on the lathe, then over to the mill to add a couple of set screws and the coolant passages, would have taken longer to generate the G code than do the job. The CNC DRO was a big help doing the hole layout, and the coolant passages would have been almost impossible to do using the machine in CNC mode. The coolant passages are 0.093 dia, by 1 inch deep, half round, plunge cut with an end mill. This requires manual ''feel'' to not snap the end mill under those conditions.

Bottom line: No you don't need to order the machine with a DRO if you are going to install a CNC conversion that supports the DRO function when running manually, else, yes, I would buy the DRO with the machine.

Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA