Need Help! THE GREAT DEBATE!!!

Thread: THE GREAT DEBATE!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default THE GREAT DEBATE!!!

In my mind anyway.....

I am trying to decide if I should start with a mill or a lathe. I have experience from work with both (CNC and manual). I am looking to get my first machine at home though. I am pretty much set on going with Precision Matthews, but I don't know if I should go with the lathe or mill first.

I am going benchtop. I don't need anything big for the hobby stuff I do, so I am pretty well set on the PM-25MV mill. Thought the PM-727M is appealing due to it actually being in stock at PM, I think I want to stay with the belt drive and flexibility of parts everywhere for the 25. As far as a lathe goes, I am debating between the PM-1022 and PM-1030. I do plan to CNC both of these machines down the road. I know they compliment one-another as far as being able to build for each other, but I would like to buy a conversion kit instead of machining all of the parts myself...... At least on the first machine I do.

My question for y'all is....... Which one do I spring for first? And, does anyone know anywhere that has a PM-25MV in stock, or ideally, where I can find a used one? I don't mind doing some minor repairs (motor work, reassembling something someone has taken apart and doesn't want to put back together, etc.)? I would also be open to buying someone's used and or CNC converted mill or lathe of similar size if the price is right.

Thank in advance for the replies guys and gals!

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: THE GREAT DEBATE!!!

It really depends on which projects you want to tackle first. If it's the CNC conversion, then go with the mill - you'll need it to make mounting plates for the motors, which the lathe won't help much with.

[FONT=Verdana]Andrew Werby[/FONT]
    [URL="http://www.computersculpture.com/"]Website[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Andrew, Excellent point. Being that I plan on buying a CNC conversion "kit" (at least for the first one), the mill does make the most sense. Then if I decided I wanted to with the lathe, I could fabricate my own brackets, mounts, etc. with the mill. Not so much an option with a lathe, unless there is someone out there who is INSANELY creative and innovative.

Thank you very much for your input. This is definitely something I probably would have overlooked.

Downloads
    Uploads

I got the PM25MV. I'm quite happy with it. I feel it's a really big step up from the grizzly units I've seen and used. I have found that the limited Z axis can sometimes be limiting while using a boring head or other long tool or tall setup, but that's the nature of the beast. I do wish I had waited for the PM30MV and purchased it instead.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've got the pm1030 and love it. Been using it for a year or two. About to convert it to CNC as well.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hackish View Post
    I got the PM25MV. I'm quite happy with it. I feel it's a really big step up from the grizzly units I've seen and used. I have found that the limited Z axis can sometimes be limiting while using a boring head or other long tool or tall setup, but that's the nature of the beast. I do wish I had waited for the PM30MV and purchased it instead.
    I'm getting the equivalent in the u.k. soon of the PM25 (AMAT25LV). I do want the 30LV but the 25 goes to 3000rpm and the 30 only 2250rpm.
    The higher one will suit better atm until I get into different things and hopefully end up with both before the next 12 months is up

Downloads
    Uploads

I have the PM-25MV that I converted to CNC and I love it. I bought a 3 inch body diameter Criterion boring head that I used on it before converting it to CNC. I never had any issue with Z travel. Now that it is CNC I don't use the boring head anymore. It's sad to have such a great American made tool just sitting in my tool draw.

Here's a link to the conversion kit I used.

PM-25MV CNC Conversion Kit