New Machine Build CNC bench mill design for feedback - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC bench mill design for feedback

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: CNC bench mill design for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    It is always good to see somebody take a different approach that on the surface looks to be acceptable. I see a lot of good in this design especially from the standpoint of a DIY trying to build a shop up.
    The transition from no machine tool to decent machine tool is often quite a step ... and you point this right as it is one of the aim of the project, if I can help some folks making that step it would be great.

We use a significant amount of plastics of various types at work [...] The various plastics certainly have their good points and bad points. I just have a hard time imagining them as structural components.
    Yep, that's exactly what I was saying : the culture is set in such a way that plastics should "stay" on the receiving end ..

I do wonder though if you have considered other commonly available plastic sheet goods such as lexan, PVC and so forth. Does Corian have a structural property that sets it apart from these materials that caught your eye?
    Corian is based on PMMA (acrylic, which is harder, stiffer and tougher than most common plastics) and rock powder (alumine tri-hidrate) for mass ..

CNC bench mill design for feedback-plasticproperties-jpg

As I see it, so is Corian to other plastics as cast iron is to other metals ...

I'm just really nervous about the Corian.
    This is sounding silly :°)
    In watchmaking a lot of machine tools for working hardened steel pivots are (were) made of brass ...

Sure it is engineering. Over on the router forums one guy is working on a carbon fiber gantry. I can understand from the engineering standpoint that it might be stiffer. Will it work well? Will the cost be manageable? Is the time to completion reasonable? I don't know the answers to those questions.
    The question of cost still has to be cleared and yes this is also engineering ..

Even the thought of plywood has flown through my mind.
    Haha! Literally anything but ... let me guess : plastics ?

Thanks again for your support and challenging questions.

[EDIT:If anyone knows how to get rid of this squashed formatting and how to prevent it in the first place, let me know]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNC bench mill design for feedback-plasticproperties-jpg  
    Last edited by oxomoxo; 05-23-2018 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Post is squashed :/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123