G0704 Spindle Upgrade

Thread: G0704 Spindle Upgrade

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 Spindle Upgrade

Hey guys i am new to the forum. I am building a cnc g0704. It will have the bearing upgrade, belt conversion, and power drawbar. I am wondering if the motor posted below would be a good choice with 36-60 pulleys so it will have a top spindle speed of 5k rpm. I am wanting a servo motor so I can do power tapping. Any experience you guys may have with servo motors for the spindle would be greatly appreciated.

https://www.fasttobuy.com/18kw-220v-high-speed-servo-motor-3000rpm-nema-42-6nm-ac-servo-motor-drive-kits-for-cnc-router_p35894.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw2pXXBRD5ARIsAIYoE beMigPoLGrPJSSKKijvYnqqllikFJ5bbGgVokO7YtlldQmdFrv ZynQaAqYMEALw_wcB

Similar Threads:

Default Re: G0704 Spindle Upgrade

That doesn't look like a terrible package. You are going to hurt your torque pretty badly with that overdrive and that will certainly change your feeds and speeds.

Personally I'd go with a BLDC and driver that's capable fo 6k from the factory. 2.2kw is a good range, just make sure it works on 220v, lots of them are 320v especially from Asian vendors.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up going a different route and bought a kollmorgen akm42 servo motor. It has about 2hp, 6k rpm, and roughly twice the torque of the other motor. I got a great deal on ebay for a brand new one.

Cool! What kind of hardware and software you using to control it?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Kollmorgen driver of some sort off of ebay to a normal breakout borad. Using mach3 or 4. havent decided on which one yet. x,y,z axis' will be run with clearpath servo motors.

Downloads
    Uploads

I know this is a old thread but did you ever get the servo installed and were you getting 6000rpm? Also can I get the driver model number?