Build Thread A Beginners PM-25MV Build

Thread: A Beginners PM-25MV Build

Downloads
    Uploads

Default A Beginners PM-25MV Build

Well let's dive right in shall we . My name is Daniel and I am a complete beginner not only to milling machines but to cnc mills as well. I do have some hands on experience with 3d printers and cnc routers both from a design / build and use perspective. I am hoping that experience can be put to good use on the pm25 build. It is my goal with this build thread that not only can I share my journey building my first cnc mill but also learn and absorb from those who have come before me. ( I should have started this thread awhile back, it would have saved me some spending/purchase mistakes I am sure. ).

The major details for my build are as follows.

-Mechanical-
    PM-25MV Milling Machine
    PM Stand with aftermarket leveling feet ( I am hoping to have time to build a steel frame/bench this summer )
    David's CNC Ball Screw Conversion Kit ( ArizonaVideo99 )

-Motion-
    Nema 34 906oz KL34H295-43-8A (Z-axis)
    Nema 23 570oz KL23H2100-50-4B (X,Y-axis)

-Electrical-
    UC300ETH ( I have not decided on Mach3 or uccnc yet, I would need a newer pc for uccnc due to the opengl requirements.)
    UB1 Breakout Board
    Gecko G203V Drivers ( Z,X,Y )
    Antek 800W 48V Toroidal Power Supply ( Stepper Drivers )
    Mean Well EDR-120-24 Power Supply ( To power UB1 Board )
    120V Fans x2 ( Intake and Exhaust )
    Misc. Contacts / relays and buttons for the cabinet safety circuit e-stop ect.

I am sure I am glossing over a few things, If you would like extra details on anything just ask!
    Not sure how many images we can post to a single post, but this first batch will be "catch up" I mostly post progress on Instagram ( under the same username ) so let's back track a little bit.

When the mill first arrived. Unboxing went well. I will skip the process of getting it up the stairs into my micro makers space and on the stand the "safety" guys would not approve hahaha.

Standing back getting my first good look at what I got my self into

To mount the leveling feet, I bolted them directly to the PM stand. They seem to be holding up well. However I would like to weld up a dedicated bench ( a project for down the road )

The cnc kit arrived quickly and has been sitting around patiently waiting for me to put them to work.

I started out by maping the stock spindle control board ( Potted, Yuk ~ ! ) and we also have a early image back when I still had the Mesa 7I76E available ( has since been taken by another project )

The next step I was able to tackle has to be the most nerve twisting of them yet ! Why electrical enclosures cost so much who knows, needless to say, I was happy to have all the drilling and cutting over with. All in all not to bad for a step drill and a 4.5in grinder if I do say so myself.

POST CONTINUED BELOW ( Forum software says to long / to many images for single post. Sorry ! )

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: A Beginners PM-25MV Build

CONTINUED FROM ABOVE..

Here I am starting to really finalize my cabinet layout. I grabbed the Mesa 7I76E again to help with spacing; being the larger of the two breakout boards. I wanted to leave room for either the Mesa or the UB1.

Next up I started to consider the top I/O panel, Most of the Connectors have come in and I knew what I wanted to have on the machine. Keeping it realitivly basic for now I am going with x,y,z axis. Tormach touch probe. Homing switches. Coolant outlet (with dedicated on/off) and finally a ethernet jack to connect the PC.

In a effort to have everything ( well almost ) Din rail mounted I had to make some custom pcb/din adapter mounts for the UB1 breakout board. Using some 25mmx6.35mm bar stock I had on hand I cobbled this setup together.

And with the next image post that brings us up to date with where I currently am with the machine. I do not have as much free time in the winter to work on my projects as I would like but with Spring and Summer just around the corner I am looking forward to diving right in and getting this PM-25MV up and running.

Final electrical cabinet ready to wire and test. I don't see how to properly embed the video, So to see the first Mains / Contactor test check out the video link below.

https://scontent-sea1-1.cdninstagram...07423877_n.mp4

A big shout out to Kent, Sam and the two John's ( Kent VanderVelden , JohnGrimsmo, CNC4XR7 and John Saunders nyccnc on YT ) ! Watching their videos and PM cnc mill builds on youtube has really inspired me to get out in the shed and learn a new skill, And I am enjoying every min. of it !

Downloads
    Uploads

Having gone over all of my hand drawn schematics and confirming they are correct via testing. I have started to draw up the finial cabinet wiring diagram in cad. I start off by drawing new symbols for each component. Here we have the UB1 Breakout board, Gecko G203V drivers, Tormach Touch probe, Contactor, E-stop, indicator lamps, and nema 23 motors ( Just noticed; one of those should be a 34 lol ) . Some things such as limit switches I will use symbols built into my cad software, no need to re invent the wheel.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's a *very* nice controller box! Do you have a part number for those wiring harnesses? They look handy.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jo_ky View Post
    That's a *very* nice controller box! Do you have a part number for those wiring harnesses? They look handy.
    Thank you, it has been a slow but very fun process. Sure thing part number for the cable track is #EF1.5X2LG1M-C If I recall it was cheap ( less then 10$ a meter ) and included the covers. I just used this 3M Double Tape to secure it down to the back panel. I used a total of three sticks of cable track and two rolls of tape for this enclosure.

Last edited by 509Maker; 03-10-2018 at 11:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the complete wiring diagram for my pm-25mv milling machine using the UB1 breakout board. Please review and let me know if you spot any errors or problems. I also have a quick question. Reviewing the Tormach passive probe install pdf I do not see a voltage referenced. I was able to learn the probe acts as a NC type switch when not triggered and opens when triggered using pins 4/5 on the din connector. In the schematic I currently have it going to UB1 pin X104 a 24vdc npn input referencing 0v. Would this be correct? or should it be on one of the 5vdc npn inputs such as pin X210 ? The home switches I picked up are basic mechanical TZ-811 units and may or may not get wired in series to one input down the road to free up I/O but I have the extra available currently.

120V_PM25MV.PDF

Last edited by 509Maker; 03-13-2018 at 10:35 PM.

It looks great. I am currently rebuilding my controller enclosure and hardware arrangement. I also, coincidentally, just bought 6 feet (2m) of a very similar conduit. I received it about two weeks ago. Unlike you I was pretty unsure on how to use it. I'll be using your project as a model.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    It looks great. I am currently rebuilding my controller enclosure and hardware arrangement. I also, coincidentally, just bought 6 feet (2m) of a very similar conduit. I received it about two weeks ago. Unlike you I was pretty unsure on how to use it. I'll be using your project as a model.
    Thanks, they are very handy for cleaning up and organizing your wires. One of the things I picked up watching Sam's 727 conversion videos..

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 509Maker View Post
    Thank you, it has been a slow but very fun process. Sure thing part number for the cable track is #EF1.5X2LG1M-C If I recall it was cheap ( less then 10$ a meter ) and included the covers.
    Thanks!

Downloads
    Uploads

Have you noticed how fast the spindle stops if you shift the selector from forward to stopped versus if you hit the e-stop button?

I wonder if your emergency stop could incorporate a similar feature - like an NC relay that runs the spindle motor to a resistive braking circuit? I haven't quite worked out how I'll be doing it on mine yet, so I'm keeping an eye on what worked well and not for you.