PM-30 CNC Parts Help

Thread: PM-30 CNC Parts Help

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PM-30 CNC Parts Help

First I would like to say hello and thanks to all of you who have put in the time to post so really good information on here...us new guys appreciate it!

Now to my situation. I ordered a PM-30mv and plan to CNC once we both get the house (its on a slow boat from China and I'm deployed for a few more weeks), but need a hand on a few things...ball screws/nuts.

As of now I have the machine and the electronics on the way, and I plan to make the mounts but still need the screws. I plan to belt drive at least two of the axis (z & y) to save room so the screws may need to have a method for attaching the pulleys (I don't know how they "normally" come. Also, obviously I cant measure anything yet, but would like to get ahead of it and make a plan.

So all that being said... does anyone have the specs of the screws/nuts I will need and were to get them? I've read the other posts on other folks projects but it wasn't clear, unless I completely missed it.

Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PM-30 CNC Parts Help

Maybe you could look up arizonavideo99. He has done CnC kits for a lot of these units and may have one figured out for that mill already.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have and haven't heard anything back yet. I see others here who have done it and read a several threads on other similar mills as well but no specific info on the 30.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have and haven't heard anything back yet. I see others here who have done it and read a several threads on other similar mills as well but no specific info on the 30.

Downloads
    Uploads

I will be doing a 30 kit but it looks like they have changed a lot of parts from the PM-30 a few years ago. This will make it a pain to test fit everything.

This is the old kit.

PM-30 Weiss 30 BF-30 by arizonavideo | Photobucket

Sorry if I missed your email I do try to answer all of them.

Thanks
    Dave

youtube videos of the G0704 under the name arizonavideo99

Downloads
    Uploads

Table size PM30 is 840 mm X 210 mm ?

Downloads
    Uploads

ASURATMAN; Yes, 8.25 x 33 inches (209.55 x 838.2 mm)...so 840x210 'ish

Arizona; thanks for the reply. No worries on not responding earlier, I don't think I will want a full kit but I could use help getting the measurements right so I can order some screws/nuts. What is your opinion on using prefab'd bearing housings vs making your own?

Hopefully I will have the machine soon so if you are interested in any dimensions for the "new" 30 send me a message and I'll send them your way.

Downloads
    Uploads

I might pick up a 30 again when Matt gets them back in. Its a nice size.

I make the bearing mounts because it takes up less space. It depends on the tools you have. I cut the bearing race on the Z top plate on the lathe but its a nice size 2000 pound 6" chuck lathe. My way is slower. Again it depends on your tools.

20mm screws all the way around. 640 oz Nema 34 X and Y and 900 oz for the Z.

Downloads
    Uploads

Wileel,
    Which China make you got your milling machine from ?

Downloads
    Uploads

arizonavideo;
    I only have a very small hobby lathe and this mill once it arrives, so maybe it would be best for me to just buy bearing mounts and incorporate them into my design. I plan to mount my motors parallel to the screws instead of hanging off the ends like you typically see to get the entire package condensed into a smaller footprint.

29mm screws was on my list so glad to hear that they will fit...I didn't know if I may need something larger for the z side. I ordered 540/960 motors biased of others builds so seems like that should be sufficient.

Is there any trick to measuring the length I will need or just take the stock length and add a bit for the motor end to accommodate bearing block and sickout for the motor attachment?

asuratman;
    I'm not sure exactly what you are asking but I ordered a PM-30MV from Precision Mathews and its an import machine from Taiwan

Downloads
    Uploads

I thought you buy it from China, because I want to compare and plan to buy it also from china.

Downloads
    Uploads

For me it was not worth finding a supplier and dealing with the added cost of shipping buying direct. Precision Mathews already has all of this handled and I have heard nothing but good things about the company so I am more than willing to give my money to a good company. If you are in the market I highly recommend them based on my experience thus far

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wileel View Post
    I only have a very small hobby lathe and this mill once it arrives, so maybe it would be best for me to just buy bearing mounts and incorporate them into my design. I plan to mount my motors parallel to the screws instead of hanging off the ends like you typically see to get the entire package condensed into a smaller footprint.
    I'm in a similar boat. I sold all my big machines years ago when I closed my fab shop, so I only have a PM25MV. While it can be used to make some of the parts to turn itself into a CnC, it would be better to buy the parts I need so all the fiddly stuff is already done. I have made machine motor mounts that don't match the kit's recipe, but months of slow ineffective communications with a kit designer and I'm no closer to having the parts I need. If only kits were available to be purchased as components.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can sell you all the mechanical parts for $320 or a turnkey system for $820. You don't have to modify the mill. It is intended for the stock lead screw but works with ball screws too. See it at paulcnc.com

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

arizonavideo

I will be receiving a PM-30MV this July. I would like to buy any parts you might be making for this mill. I will try to contact you through other means. Please also let me know your recommendations for which and where to buy parts you do not make to CNC the PM-30MV

Downloads
    Uploads

I have made the PM-30 kit in the past and the new PM-30 has a different tabel so I need to make changes. I did order a 30 but its on the second boat so will be 4 or 5 weeks.

I do have a really good drawing for the table so I can order a few more sets of screws for the 30.

The kit will be 20mm C7 screws double nuts all the way around.

Nema 34 mounts all the way around. 640 oz for the X and Y and 900 oz for the Z is fine.

They will be going out this summer.

Feel free to email me
    Davedaxx1@yahooo.com

Thanks
    Dave Clements