Problem array of posts: does this tool exist?


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 16

Thread: array of posts: does this tool exist?

  1. #1
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Question array of posts: does this tool exist?

    I would like to create an array of 6 mm dia round posts, 6 mm tall, on a 1 x 1" square array, Aluminum 6061 or better yet, 7075. The diameter of posts needs to be to within 0.001" tolerance, as they would slide-fit onto a reciprocal array of 6 mm holes. Is there a specialty endmill with blades facing inwards, to create the posts in one cut, and 'fill in' the unmilled surfce with a regular mill? Googling did not produce a result. Or is CNC the only method to achieve this?

    Similar Threads:


  2. #2
    Registered
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Upd: Sherline mill, can get to a Bridgeport.Upd2: Rotary table and regular mill?



  3. #3
    Registered Kev Brook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Hi I don’t know of any tool that would do that, I may be wrong, but not to 0.001”

    Read my blog for help and advice for beginners on CNC routers
    http://the-cnc.blogspot.co.uk/p/home.html?m=1


  4. #4
    Gold Member Jim Dawson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2353
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    There is no tool that I know of that would do what you want.

    I think I would drill/ream holes and press in pins unless there is some reason this can't be done. Do the top & bottom pieces together that way the holes would be aligned with no error. Trying to align the pins with the holes would be very difficult without a CNC machine, not impossible, but difficult.

    Jim Dawson
    Sandy, Oregon, USA


  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8070
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by runcyclexcski View Post
    I would like to create an array of 6 mm dia round posts, 6 mm tall, on a 1 x 1" square array, Aluminum 6061 or better yet, 7075. The diameter of posts needs to be to within 0.001" tolerance, as they would slide-fit onto a reciprocal array of 6 mm holes. Is there a specialty endmill with blades facing inwards, to create the posts in one cut, and 'fill in' the unmilled surfce with a regular mill? Googling did not produce a result. Or is CNC the only method to achieve this?
    That would be easy to CNC mill with a regular end mill, something like this with bigger pins and less of them

    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails array of posts: does this tool exist?-pin-wheel-30-4-png  
    Mactec54


  6. #6
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1664
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Mill between the posts, and then use a boring head to make the posts round. I have used a boring head with a standard brazed carbide boring bar to do single outside diameters. Don't know why it wouldn't work for multiple. Just need a tool that will fit between the other posts. When using a standard carbide boring bar to do an OD, you run the spindle backward.



  7. #7
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    229
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    109jb is spot on. Rough out with an end mill, finish with the boring bar.



  8. #8
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8070
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    109jb is spot on. Rough out with an end mill, finish with the boring bar.
    Why would you bother with a boring head, the average cnc mill can hold .0005,or better so just milling with an endmill would be more than enough, he asked for a tolerance of .001 which is easy to achieve, the photo I posted, the pins where only
    .080" x .500" long, and they milled to better than .001 tolerance

    Mactec54


  9. #9
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1664
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Why would you bother with a boring head, the average cnc mill can hold .0005,or better so just milling with an endmill would be more than enough, he asked for a tolerance of .001 which is easy to achieve, the photo I posted, the pins where only
    .080" x .500" long, and they milled to better than .001 tolerance
    Because the OP asked for a manual method to do it.



  10. #10
    Registered
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    229
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    Why would you bother with a boring head, the average cnc mill can hold .0005,or better so just milling with an endmill would be more than enough, he asked for a tolerance of .001 which is easy to achieve, the photo I posted, the pins where only
    .080" x .500" long, and they milled to better than .001 tolerance
    What kind of average bench top mill do you have? Asking for a friend.



  11. #11
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8070
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by 109jb View Post
    Because the OP asked for a manual method to do it.
    He did not mention manual mill, asked about using a CNC mill, still easy also to do on a manual mill

    Mactec54


  12. #12
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    8070
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0

    Default Re: array of posts: does this tool exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by CL_MotoTech View Post
    What kind of average bench top mill do you have? Asking for a friend.
    What's a bench top mill got to do with it, you would have a hard time putting any of my machines on a bench

    Mactec54


Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About CNCzone.com

    We are the largest and most active discussion forum for manufacturing industry. The site is 100% free to join and use, so join today!

Follow us on


Our Brands

array of posts: does this tool exist?

array of posts: does this tool exist?