Build Thread PM45 mill upgrades

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: PM45 mill upgrades

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PM45 mill upgrades

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my next round of upgrades for my PM45 mill. As she sits now:

First things first, lets get this baby in an enclosure. I'm pretty sick of cleaning up chips and not having a coolant system! I had a local shop plasma cut the tub and bend it up for me as well as shear the rest of the pieces. So lets get the tub tacked up and welded. It's got to be water proof.

After welding the tub, it's time to fit the back of the enclosure. Unfortunately I can't just weld everything together as this needs to fit thru a standard door frame.

And the first side

And the second:

And some reinforcement pieces:

I still need to seal up the corners and add some more reinforcements to the back wall. Stay tuned, more to come.

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PM45 mill upgrades

Very nice work.

Downloads
    Uploads

thanks. I'm hoping to get to work on it again tonight adding some reinforcements, and getting the windows and doors on order. Stay tuned, I have lots more upgrades that are happening while I tear the mill apart to get it in the enclosure.

Downloads
    Uploads

That looks really good, do you have a build thread for your first mods? I googled to no avail. I'm trying to find out now some good pulley diameters / ratios for my own belt drive mod, could you help out there? I am thinking of going for a 3000rpm 3 phase motor with a VFD (vector drive they tell me). In Aus we are 50Hz 240V mains and the motor is specced to 2800rpm. Thanks.

Downloads
    Uploads

It's right here, but it's fairly useless now that photo bucket and image shack have killed most of the pictures.

what RPMs do you want to run on your mill? That'll determine the pulley ratio. Mine are 2.75:1 and .4:1

On a side note, i did work on the enclosure more today. Got all the reinforcements welded in place and the windows and doors on order. I'll have pictures soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, how many poles are your motor?

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to build something similar. I have a Bridgeport V2XT (My baby!) and the plastic piece of crap that came with it just don't cut it. I'm getting tired of taking a coolant bath. You have given me a shot in the arm to get off my ass and get it done. Carry on boy, I'm enjoying this. Bob L

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MCPartsKid View Post
    I need to build something similar. I have a Bridgeport V2XT (My baby!) and the plastic piece of crap that came with it just don't cut it. I'm getting tired of taking a coolant bath. You have given me a shot in the arm to get off my ass and get it done. Carry on boy, I'm enjoying this. Bob L
    You know, I also feel a certain bond with my mill. I've put a lot of hours into it, and it's certainly more than a piece of cast iron to me at this point. but thanks, I'm glad I could inspire someone. If you haven't already go take a t the "the grizz" build thread. It gave me the same inspiration to get started on it.

I also picked up the windows and doors today. I also have it all torn apart in preparation for paint. Pictures to come soon!

Downloads
    Uploads

Ok...update...

Finally got the windows cut out of the sides. Used my plasma cutter and some wood guides to get the job done. Kind of a crappy picture but:

Also started painting everything. Man do these guy take up tons of room. Using rustoleum primer and a small roller.

Taking up the whole shop!

And here's a teaser of what's coming once the enclosure is done...

Downloads
    Uploads

OK! well now that Christmas is past and I'm done playing Santa with the mill it's time to get on with the upgrades! First step...disassembly. This was nearly a day long project itself.

And in case the previous pictures didn't give it away she's getting a full set of linear rails!
    So a little bit of clearance was needed on the saddle. I only took about a 1/16" off of one side to get it to fit. Sure is nice to have another mill to help along the way:

In an effort to keep everything mostly square right out of the gate i'm using the original dovetails to align the master rail. A combination of precision ground barstock and height gauges are used to ensure the master rail runs parallel to the dovetail.

After drilling and tapping the first hole manually I made this trick drill bushing to make sure all the other holes are concentric with the rail holes. Works like a charm, and I'm super happy I took the time to make it. The slave rail was then installed by using the new saddle plate and bearings to set the distance and parallelism.

Foreshadowing what's to come

but not yet...Major clearance issues with the table and the bearings! I tried to capture it the best I could but the table is hovering about a 1/8" away from the rail

clearance was needed! Also...the point of no return!! Also...thank goodness for power feeds!!!

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work! I am planning something similar, was wondering what rails you're using on x and y, are they 15s or 20s and what series? I have almost finished drawing mine up in fusion using THK SHS 15s but retaining the original cast saddle for block mounting, 15mm rails only just fit.
    Also, whats your plan for z as far as rails go? I can imagine milling off dovetails is a bit daunting haha.

Downloads
    Uploads

Excellent CS900! .. You have gotten my attention also ..

I'm in the process of tearing down right now to do an upgrade to my ZX45 ..
    Been wanting to go with linear rails on all axis also, but have been sort of 'riding the fence' on X & Y .. mainly because I've been able to maintain a reasonable amount of backlash on X & Y movements, and the amount of work needed to convert is significant.
    Z is another story for me, it has been like trying to nail jello to the wall. From what others have reported, the Z conversion alone makes the machine so much better & more accurate I've determined to at least go that route.
    I will be following your progress closely & would also appreciate info on which rails you're using. (Great idea on the drill bushing!)
    Please keep your thread updated with lots of pics & info!

Gary

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm still tossing up milling off the dovetails vs adding material like this guy -

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Nice work! I am planning something similar, was wondering what rails you're using on x and y, are they 15s or 20s and what series? I have almost finished drawing mine up in fusion using THK SHS 15s but retaining the original cast saddle for block mounting, 15mm rails only just fit.
    Also, whats your plan for z as far as rails go? I can imagine milling off dovetails is a bit daunting haha.
    Thanks guys. I'm using NSK LH20s for all 3 axis. AN series for Y and Z, and the EL for the X.

Z axis will be pretty much the same as the Y axis. I'm planning on making a new adapter plate. If i've done my homework right I shouldn't need to machine any of the dovetails The 20 rails are just about the right size. They are tall enough to clear the dovetails, but not so wide that you have to clearance too much of the dovetails. I only had to take about a 1/16" off the base to make it clear and had I not used the flange mount for the table, i don't think i would have had to cut the dovetails at all.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gd.marsh View Post
    Excellent CS900! .. You have gotten my attention also ..

I'm in the process of tearing down right now to do an upgrade to my ZX45 ..
    Been wanting to go with linear rails on all axis also, but have been sort of 'riding the fence' on X & Y .. mainly because I've been able to maintain a reasonable amount of backlash on X & Y movements, and the amount of work needed to convert is significant.
    Z is another story for me, it has been like trying to nail jello to the wall. From what others have reported, the Z conversion alone makes the machine so much better & more accurate I've determined to at least go that route.
    I will be following your progress closely & would also appreciate info on which rails you're using. (Great idea on the drill bushing!)
    Please keep your thread updated with lots of pics & info!

Gary
    Yeah, I had the same issue. X and Y i could hold +/-.001 all day long, and I've fought the Z axis for a while to hold .005-ish. I'll keep you guys updated for sure! And speaking of...progress for today.

Got the rails mounted to the table. I used the back of the table as my master reference. I frequently just use a square off the table to orient stock quickly, so it only made sense.

Once the master rail was done, I installed the saddle plate to the blocks to locate the slave rail

I also clearanced the saddle plate for the X axis ballscrew assembly.

like a glove!

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by j3dprints View Post
    I'm still tossing up milling off the dovetails vs adding material like this guy -
    That's an interesting approach. Had i not already bought everything I may reconsider my plan of attack.

Downloads
    Uploads

You're getting this done FAST! haha. Very interested to see how you tackle the z axis, keep us posted CS900.

Downloads
    Uploads

Also, if you don't have enough room to get the last bolt in your flanged blocks you may be able to use the next size down and tap from the other side, works for THK blocks anyway. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious haha.

- - - Updated - - -

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails PM45 mill upgrades-nn_shs-c-png  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by edmunns View Post
    Also, if you don't have enough room to get the last bolt in your flanged blocks you may be able to use the next size down and tap from the other side, works for THK blocks anyway. Apologies if I'm stating the obvious haha.

- - - Updated - - -
    Not at all. I'll have to double check, but I think the slopes sides of the flange would make it so the bolt head only makes point contact. I'd have to spot face the flange. I'll look and report back because only having 3 bolts has been eating at the back of my brain this whole time.

Downloads
    Uploads

Nice work . You are a little ahead of me on progress .I have not posted on my machine lately. But not far off. Your project is looking very good. Nicely thought out.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast