Build Thread PM45 mill upgrades - Page 9

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread: PM45 mill upgrades

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: PM45 mill upgrades

yeah, I've run niagra roughers before with very good results. I have a a brand new "TAS" rougher from lakeshore carbide that I'm pretty excited to try out as well, but I need to get at (very minimum) a mister set up to help clear chips away.

You may try scribing the fold lines on the nylon with the backside of a razor. should help keep things neat.

and thanks for the compliments guys. I'll have more pictures and some action videos pretty soon.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by CS900 View Post
    I roughed it out with a .5" 4 flute corncob rougher and ended up dialing back the settings until I got around a MRR of 1.9in^3. I realize it's a small machine, but the table and column are pretty solid. It seems like all the vibration was happening at the headstock. Probably running a smaller tool faster would yield better results as well.
    Any reason for using a 4-flute? Usually roughing Al with more than 3 flutes is asking for trouble. Might be able to get better results with an Aluminum specific rougher. I've heard good things about Lakeshorecarbide's Aluminum Shredder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    Any reason for using a 4-flute? Usually roughing Al with more than 3 flutes is asking for trouble. Might be able to get better results with an Aluminum specific rougher. I've heard good things about Lakeshorecarbide's Aluminum Shredder.
    No good reason..it's what I had in my tool holder already and was giddy to make some chips, haha.

Yeah, I'll try and get a video of the TAS rougher in action!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use a four flute HSS .5" rougher pretty often. 93 IPM with pretty good depth of cut at 6k. It shreds. I have flood coolant and it is necessary. I usually do all my horizontal op's after I roughed with that same end mill. It saves me a tool change.

Downloads
    Uploads

what mill do you have? I'd be interested to know what your depth and width of cut is.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

G0704.

I'd have to look up the DOC, off hand I'm thinking it's around .25". I'm working with about 1hp, so it's nothing crazy, but my mill is working pretty hard at that point anyways.

Downloads
    Uploads

Getting things dialed in a bit more...at the cost of my TAS rougher

Best i could do before it broke (my fault the tool started to pull out of the TTS) .7 DOC x .08 WOC @ 5000RPM and 75 IPM (4.2 MRR). It's looking my spindle motor is going to be the weak spot going forward.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhzqAOqFZpg

Also got the coolant container installed and air lines run. I'm almost ready for some projects!

Next up is linear rails for the lathe!

Downloads
    Uploads

So I did a thing today...Finally got my power draw bar installed and working!

I had to machine a new draw bar, which is ok the original one was VERY loose in the spindle bore which audibly threw thing off ballance when at higher RPM. The new one just barely fits, and in fact i had a surprise step down in diameter on the inside of the spindle bore which i had to account for.

Installed and ready for testing:

It's alive!!
    https://www.facebook.com/26967417639...858642621/?t=0

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any updates? How are your gas springs holding up?

Downloads
    Uploads

she's working good so far although i have yet to do any heavy cuts with it yet.

struts are fine I've had them on the mill for a few years now.

Downloads
    Uploads

Default PM45 mill upgrades

Can someone help with the 220vac hook up in the power box? I bought a pm-45m at an auction but the main feed was disconnected and I cannot find a manual. Thanks in afvance

Downloads
    Uploads

contact Precision Mathiews. Their customer support is top notch and I'm sure they can get you up and running.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789