New Machine Build DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone... - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...

It pretty much looks like the one I build at the moment:

DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-333-jpg

DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-222-jpg

DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-111-jpg

Guess we both were inspired by this build:

How does your machine handle aluminium?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-bildschirmfoto-vomm-2018-11-09-20-13-a   DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-333-jpg   DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-222-jpg   DIY Gantry-CNC heavily influenced by CNCzone...-111-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your design looks great! And familiar Have you built it yet???

That's definitely the build that inspired me most. About a year of researching other builds too - while waiting for decent linear rail prices in the correct sizes to pop up on eBay. But clearly my primary inspiration was his design.

Mine handles aluminum very well. That's basically all I cut with it - since the motorcycle parts I make are all aluminum.

The only issue I have not solved on my build is the bed. But I have been procrastinating a rebuild for a while now - because I have been successfully making parts. I've tried 2 different types of extruded aluminum for the bed and I have never been happy with it. The extruded aluminum seems to have resonant frequencies that I have wrestled with (coupled with the fact that rest of the build is not particularly heavy) - and have never found a way around that. No matter how I've secured it to the steel base, it has always seemed less than ideal.

I have been looking at old cast iron "surface plates" (or a variation usually listed as fixture tables) that typically come as a table. Occasionally they can be found as just the plate itself. They are pricey - but at this point, would be worth the rigidity and alleviating the hassles I've experienced with the extruded aluminum. I just need to source one locally (or close) that is the appropriate size, and then commit to the time to rework the machine to incorporate it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

If I had access to a larger cnc I would build a minimal steel base/bed. Something simple like this one:

Maybe in the future.

The Z and Y Axis with the slides are done. All that's missing is the X axis.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That actually looks great - similar to what I have in mind. Won't be using a large CNC to do it though - just elbow grease and a healthy dose of frustration

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by motopreserve View Post

I have been looking at old cast iron "surface plates" (or a variation usually listed as fixture tables) that typically come as a table. Occasionally they can be found as just the plate itself. They are pricey - but at this point, would be worth the rigidity and alleviating the hassles I've experienced with the extruded aluminum. I just need to source one locally (or close) that is the appropriate size, and then commit to the time to rework the machine to incorporate it.
    I've found a few cast iron surface plates on Craigslist for well under $1/lb. Typically far from lab grade, but especially if you've got a way to surface them (even if ridiculously slowly with a 1/4" bit,) they're still flat and pretty stout. I picked up an 18x24" recently for $60 or $70.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Awesome machine. Very inspirational.

Where do you guys buy your heavy aluminum plate and then where do you have it cut/machined/drilled and how much does it cost on average, say, for a gantry side?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by aolshove View Post
    Awesome machine. Very inspirational.

Where do you guys buy your heavy aluminum plate and then where do you have it cut/machined/drilled and how much does it cost on average, say, for a gantry side?
    I got most of my aluminum plate from an ebay seller called USA Metals Online. Nice guy in New Hampshire who sells off the drops from larger jobs. I just gave him a list of what I was looking for and then waited until he had the pieces to make up the order. I machined much of it myself, and then had some of the really large pieces cut by water jet. That was pricey - even though I was getting a "deal" from my neighbor.

Prices would likely be different now than when I bought it. You'd have to shop around to see what tooling plates are currently going for.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by skrubol View Post
    I've found a few cast iron surface plates on Craigslist for well under $1/lb. Typically far from lab grade, but especially if you've got a way to surface them (even if ridiculously slowly with a 1/4" bit,) they're still flat and pretty stout. I picked up an 18x24" recently for $60 or $70.
    Unfortunately I have not been finding anything close to those prices. I'll keep looking though - eventually it will happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12