Short Cables on Flashcut Servo Motors

Thread: Short Cables on Flashcut Servo Motors

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Short Cables on Flashcut Servo Motors

I just received a servo retrofit kit from Flashcut for my Sherline mill. I was very surprised to find that the leads from the motors are only about 6 inches long. Flashcut supplied extension cables to connect the motors to their servo box. It seems to me that these connectors are located in exactly the wrong place where they are likely to be damaged by cutting debris and fluids.

When I called Flashcut, I was told that these are cheap Chinese motors (I paid $250 for each one so they didn't seem cheap to me). I was told that they have customers who want cables of different lengths so they have decided to supply very short cables to the motors and then deal with customer requests for different cable lengths by selling longer or shorter extension cables. I was told that it is very difficult to splice in an extension to their cables and they strongly advised me not to attempt that. I was told that I could purchase sealed motors with appropriate cables for $895 per motor.

I admit that I am a newbie but this doesn't seem right to me. I paid a lot of money to get what I thought was a top notch servo system and I'm very surprised to be dealing with what appears to me to be a kludgy cable solution!

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions.