Build Thread Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill

Ok now onto installing the X-axis and making it perpendicular to the Y-axis. I used mt 6"x10" granite square to make sure that I got both axis running perpendicular to each other. I first put the dial indicator on the granite square and and moved the x-axis back and forth till I got the sqaure and the bed parallel with each other and then tightened the strap clamp down to hold it together. I was able to get the two bed and the square parallel within 0002" ,which should be more then good enough for what I am doing.

At this point I move the indicator over to the short end of the square and moved the y-axis back and for till the indicator showed as little as movement on the dial as possible. I am using a .0005 Mitutoyo test indicator for this process and I wasn't able to get it perfect but I did get it to able .0004" over 6". I was pretty happy with that given that I would be surprised if the X2 saddle was the accurate to begin with.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-27-13-36-09-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-27-12-30-24-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-27-14-49-45-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now moving onto the Z-axis and getting the rails parallel with other and then mounting the column to the base and getting it all square. I have machine in a reference edge on the column so all I need to do was tighten that one rail down to the reference edge and then dial in the other rail til it was parallel. Then I installed the column and check squareness against my granite square and shimmed the column as need. The column ended up needing to be shimmed .002, so that it would run square with the bed.

ON a side note can anyone tell me why some picture are upload in the wrong orientation?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-28-21-57-18-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-28-21-57-03-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-29-14-05-20-jpg   Rebuilding of my X2 Mini Mill-2017-11-29-14-04-23-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Danny,

A very interesting thread. I like the work you're doing, love your stand and really like seeing you dial things in so precisely. Keep up the great work.

Stuart

"THE GRIZZ" photo album - https://goo.gl/photos/yLLp61jooprtYzFK7
    Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT2lq9obzEnlEu-M56ZzT_A

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Stuart! I've really enjoy what you have done with your grizzly. Its a pretty impressive machine you are making. Just wrapping up mine and hoping to start throwing some chips and comparing it to the old mill.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well I've been able to get a bunch of work done the mill done since I've last posted and pretty much have everything up and running. I still need to get the flood coolant system and mist coolant up and running but I do have them working on the software side. I just need to spend the time and get the pump mounted and drain installed. Here is a couple more pictures of what I've been up to. Let me know if there is something that you would like to see more of and I would be more then happy to post it.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Any further updates on your progress on this project. Additionally, can you provide some accuracy and precision numbers for the final project. Are you satisfied with the precision.

PS I see a lot of CNC conversions in the local CL ads where the maker gives up because the converted mill's precision is unsatisfactory.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12