Newbie compact 5 cnc - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: compact 5 cnc

Default Re: compact 5 cnc

Hey Mike, Did you ever get it up and running? I'm looking for a project like yours and want to pick your brain about what you did and what you might wish you'd have done differently...

Kevin

Downloads
    Uploads

I missed this post. I guess I did provide some info on what I did, but its out of date now. Let me compile an update on where I'm at currently.

Long story short - I gave up on the Beaglebone SBC as I blew it up accidentally (shorted something to it while playing around).
    I choose instead to go the route of using a MESA card and virtually any PC so I could stay in the mainstream of the Linuxcnc world and not have to worry about sw updates.
    I also gave up on the original spindle control board / power supply (probably what fried the Beaglebone). A cheap AC to DC motor controller was instead wired in and used and seems to be working OK.
    I seem to be short of pictures of the current setup so I'll take a few and post them later (be warned the back is a rats next - again - probably the leading cause of the Beaglebones death)

A few details:

• MESA 7i76e Ethernet interface card (I was happy with this on my mill so I figured I should standardize).
    • LinuxCNC as the control interface software (now at ver 2.8.1 - the latest download works quite well for simple installations)
    • still using the cheap TB6600 stepper drivers (more than capable for this little machine)
    • as previously indicated the steppers can easily be swapped with modern NEMA23 steppers for a performance increase (also assumes better stepper drivers).
    • Repurposed Google-mini server as PC (loud fan!)
    • using the 100 slot optical disk with new optical switches and custom made mounting block.
    • 220VAC input variable DC output motor drive (slightly modified) - I recall having to do something to the control input - as it was configured to vary speed from 0-%100 based on a 220VAC input. With 110VAC it was only outputting half the expected voltage at the 10VDC input. I should lookup what I did and document for myself...
    • Stepper driven tool changer (this is the hardest part for me) - still not correct but working on it. I had it working, then updated the PC and didn't properly back up the configurations

Thanks for the update... I'm just getting more and more "on the fence" about buying one and upgrading it. It seems like tons of people are doing conversions but that there aren't many 100 percent completions. I like the aspect of the challenge in doing a conversion but it just seems to be a habit hole with no bottom.

That said, I look forward to seeing your pics and maybe a video of it running?

Thanks!
    Kevin

Downloads
    Uploads

compact 5 cnc-img_3116-jpgcompact 5 cnc-img_3117-jpgcompact 5 cnc-img_3123-jpgcompact 5 cnc-img_3121-jpgcompact 5 cnc-img_3119-jpg

36 VDC power supply for the steppers, not in frame is a laptop style power supply providing the ~20 VDC for other functions (MESA card, limit switches, optical sensors,)
    hidden at the bottom is the AC to DC motor drive (to the left of the 36VDC power supply).

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails compact 5 cnc-img_3116-jpg   compact 5 cnc-img_3117-jpg   compact 5 cnc-img_3123-jpg   compact 5 cnc-img_3121-jpg  

compact 5 cnc-img_3119-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12