MasterCAM Machine & Control definitions for X2 CNC conversion

Thread: MasterCAM Machine & Control definitions for X2 CNC conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default MasterCAM Machine & Control definitions for X2 CNC conversion

Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone out there is using MasterCAM and Mach3 with their X2 CNC conversion. I just finished converting my machine awhile back and I am now in the process of learning how to program it, which has turned out to be more difficult for me than actually building it. I have access to MasterCAM X4 on a friends computer but of course it doesnt have the machine or control definition files for my specific machine and controller. I found the Mach3 post processor for MasterCAM, but only bits and pieces of information on how to create custom definition files. Would anyone out there be kind enough to share their definition files with me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: MasterCAM Machine & Control definitions for X2 CNC conversion

Quote Originally Posted by jleworthy View Post
    Hey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone out there is using MasterCAM and Mach3 with their X2 CNC conversion. I just finished converting my machine awhile back and I am now in the process of learning how to program it, which has turned out to be more difficult for me than actually building it. I have access to MasterCAM X4 on a friends computer but of course it doesnt have the machine or control definition files for my specific machine and controller. I found the Mach3 post processor for MasterCAM, but only bits and pieces of information on how to create custom definition files. Would anyone out there be kind enough to share their definition files with me? I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you
    Hi Im in the same boat, did you ever get your hand on the files? Any chance you can help me out? Thanks in advance.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by albert_chuy View Post
    Hi Im in the same boat, did you ever get your hand on the files? Any chance you can help me out? Thanks in advance.
    Looking around it seems a fair few hobbyists have moved over to Fusion360. Might be worth having a play with that.
    As far as I'm aware you can get it free for hobbyists (don't quote me on that as Autodesk do not specifically say it).
    It apparently comes up in the license options at a later date.

Downloads
    Uploads

You would have to build your own definition files and post processor. Mastercam does not create machine definintions and post processors for free, they sell them for thousands.

Fusion 360 is free, but unless you are using a CNC conversion kit that included a control and steppers, you still will probably have to create your own post processor for a hobby cnc conversion mill.

Downloads
    Uploads

Fusion360 does have a post for Mach 3 Mill. I don't know how well it works; because I don't use Mach 3 anymore (I'm working on a grbl-based system)... but they do have one.

IIRC, the post-processors are written in Javascript; and are not that hard to modify if you have any programming ability whatsoever.

As of right now; Fusion360 is free for startups, very small businesses, and 'enthusiasts'... which is the license I have for it.

Hope that helps!

Downloads
    Uploads

Since the original post is almost three years old I suppose we can assume jleworthy has found a solution,he certainly doesn't post very much.I recall reading a few weeks ago that Fusion was modifying the free access to the software.I don't have any concerns about this since I chose to go with Freecad and LinuxCNC which keep growing in capability and are both free.Mastercam is a wonderfully capable program but hugely expensive for a hobbyist and Mach 3 is getting a bit ancient but still seems to pop up with basic Chinese machines.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by __Britt View Post
    Fusion360 does have a post for Mach 3 Mill.

As of right now; Fusion360 is free for startups, very small businesses, and 'enthusiasts'... which is the license I have for it.

Hope that helps!
    That was my understanding from various reading around. I would have assumed that Mastercam would plugin to Fusion would it not?