New Machine Build Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project

Thread: Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project

Hi all,

Recently, I have purchased a Precision Mathews milling machine with the intentions of converting it to CNC. I have machined all my parts on the very machine that I am converting. I will post pictures of the machine and machined parts. I must say I am quite impressed with the performance of the mill as a manual machine. The machine has plenty of power and can also do delicate machining. I was converting my Harbor Freight 9 x 20 lathe when I realized I needed this milling machine to make all my brackets, so I ended up with two project machine builds. LOL!!!! I have found great amounts of knowledge on you tube about CNC conversions on these machines. I have finished the lathe and am setting up the tool library in Mach3. Lots to learn!!!! LOL!!!!!

The first picture shows the milling machine as you can order it with a DRO and a power feed. I, as you can see in the second photo, did not get the DRO or the power feed. I also opted out of the cabinet, as I had a welding table that has a 5/8" plate top, that should be adequate to hold the machine and enclosure I plan to put the machine inside of. The third picture is of the beginnings of the Z axis conversion, the fourth picture is of the finished control box for the lathe. I used an old Dell computer cabinet, worked great. The last three pictures show the X axis conversion. I still have to make a cover for the belt drive for the X axis ball screw. Safety always in mind!!! The final picture is of the components for the milling machine. I created all the parts drawings in Fusion 360, so I can machine these after I get all converted. I have the other stepper motor and mounting bracket but it was hard to get it all in the photo. Just like the nearest bracket made of 4" x 4" tube but the stepper is a bit smaller. The nearest stepper is for the Z axis so it is about 400 oz/in larger that the X and Y axis steppers.

I hope that this is helpful to someone who just needed to see a picture or two of how someone else did something.

Thanks for looking,

Wyatt Hopkins

Similar Threads:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0568-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0574-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0551-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0557-jpg  

Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-image2-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-image3-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-image1-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-image1-jpg  

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project

do you have a list of the size of the ball screws , stepper motor size,drivers,etc what you have used to convert the pm- 727?

Downloads
    Uploads

Attachment 347538Attachment 347538
    Here is the mill with conversion attached. I will post a video of a program I ran with the mill.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0615-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0609-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0616-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0618-jpg  

Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0617-jpg   Precision Mathews PM-727 milling machine - CNC conversion project-img_0628-jpg  
    Last edited by Sixgun; 01-22-2017 at 09:20 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for sharing your build. I'm slowly doing a conversion on my PM727 as well. Did you make the spacer out of steel or aluminum?

Quote Originally Posted by Sixgun View Post
    Attachment 347538Attachment 347538
    Here is the mill with conversion attached. I will post a video of a program I ran with the mill.