Default Re: New to me EMCO compact 5 pc gonna need some help

Also where in the world are you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks very much for the replies.The Yahoo Emco CNC group seems to be spinning down.

I didn't do anything to the switch. I'm in Overland Park, KS (KC area). Bought the re-wired lathe from a used machine seller in Florida that had traded for it. The owner from whom my seller acquired the lathe had retrofitted it to control with Mach 3, which I know nothing about.

I'm not sure what "jumped" means, but I'd guess that what was done. Each of the three pairs of wires that connect to the key switch were/are simply twisted together. There is no switch (ahead of the spindle motor switch); plug the machine in, and it powers on.

My assumption was that the re-wiring was related to retrofitting for control by Mach 3, but now I wonder whether it might instead have been another way to put a Band-Aid on the contactor. I'll probably find out when I reconnect the switch. If it doesn't power on, then I'll have two nearly unused, very late version EC5 PC with apparently the same problem, although I suspect there are many different potential underlying causes for contactor failure. A question is what are the most likely causes for minty, late models.

Downloads
    Uploads

First letting everyone know where you are will allow anyone in your area to help. I have gone to a persons house to help for free, just for the fun of it. Now I know where I can use a cnc router and laser;-)

Regarding the jumpering of switches etc. Whether it be Mach, Linux or some proprietary SW, the mechanicals are handled very similar. Most likely the wires twisted together are an attempt at fooling the computer. It might be interesting to see what error each pair throws?

You dont need to know anything about Mach unless you are starting with a machine with no control software or are converting one.

This forum is probably the most active of all I have seen. You might check the EMCO section here too.

A lazy man does it twice.

Hi, I know this is an old thread but how did you make out with your Emco? I'm looking to start a project like yours for fun and I see where there are a ton of folks working on these little guys but they never seem to finish the project for some reason.

Downloads
    Uploads

I converted an Emco Compact 5 CNC. I ditched the original steppers and electronics and swapped in cheap stepper drives and new stepper motors along with a MESA 7i76e interface card and Linuxcnc. I don't recall if I ever posted that conversion on here but I don't think so.Let me know if you'd like some details - it probably belongs in the mini lathe sub forum if I do write it up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12