X2 mini mill CNC conversion

Thread: X2 mini mill CNC conversion

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default X2 mini mill CNC conversion

I have a Harbor Freight mini mill that has been performing well after some tuning. I was thinking of setting it up for CNC capability. My first thought was CNC Fusion CNC Fusion, but they don't appear to be making kits at this time. I understand one of the owners may be having some health problems. In my investigation of other options, I came across a set of ballscrews/motor mounts from a guy in Turkey. Sells on eBay and direct, and it appears to be pretty well designed. Better than the CNC Fusion kit, by appearances.

Has anyone had any experience or seen these products?
    Conversion kits for the home machines

They also make a belt drive upgrade kit that looks pretty cool.

-- John

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: X2 mini mill CNC conversion

meikj,

I know this is an old post but here is my experience for anyone wondering about these kits.

I just recently received one of the conversion kits for my Harbor freight X2 mini mill from mbbilici.com. The kit is well thought out and superbly constructed. I had to do some grinding on the Y-saddle's underside (rough casting) to get the ballnut to clear but as I understand it this is a common issue with pretty much any kit. The z-axis IMHO is a much better design than CNC fusions as it is a more direct pull. I tried ordering a CNCfusion kit about a year ago and it was the worst online ordering experience ever, no communication and I eventually had to do a paypal chargeback. I'm glad because it seems that Murat's kit is miles ahead in fit and function. I opted for the $40 expedited shipping and had it in hand withing a weeks time. All parts were carefully packaged and zip-tied to a piece of plywood. All of the fasteners were either rubber banded, taped in place or bagged and attached to the relative position. He makes these to order and is really good about answering any questions you may have about the kits. I pre-ordered from the site directly, specified my stepper shaft size and was billed via Payoneer, paid with credit card. All in all a smooth transaction, I'm super happy with my purchase.

Hope this helps with anyone else considering these kits.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the update, that's great to hear! The kit looks like it is very well designed. I haven't made any progress yet on any CNC conversion, maybe this will get me kick started!

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi! Sorry to reply on an old post!

I also bought this kit, but have not yet fully installed it.
    Tiros76, what are your thoughts about it in use? How much backlash do you have? Was it easy to adjust?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by tiros76 View Post
    meikj,

I know this is an old post but here is my experience for anyone wondering about these kits.

I just recently received one of the conversion kits for my Harbor freight X2 mini mill from mbbilici.com. The kit is well thought out and superbly constructed. I had to do some grinding on the Y-saddle's underside (rough casting) to get the ballnut to clear but as I understand it this is a common issue with pretty much any kit. The z-axis IMHO is a much better design than CNC fusions as it is a more direct pull. I tried ordering a CNCfusion kit about a year ago and it was the worst online ordering experience ever, no communication and I eventually had to do a paypal chargeback. I'm glad because it seems that Murat's kit is miles ahead in fit and function. I opted for the $40 expedited shipping and had it in hand withing a weeks time. All parts were carefully packaged and zip-tied to a piece of plywood. All of the fasteners were either rubber banded, taped in place or bagged and attached to the relative position. He makes these to order and is really good about answering any questions you may have about the kits. I pre-ordered from the site directly, specified my stepper shaft size and was billed via Payoneer, paid with credit card. All in all a smooth transaction, I'm super happy with my purchase.

Hope this helps with anyone else considering these kits.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

mini mill nightmares hehe. i hope the bilici cures some of these, still have to find a great source for the linear glass scales. yes folks i was spoiled i ran robots and a dpm5 trak mill. retired now its a hobby. but i still love it. and i wanna know and pick your brains on the cnc setup for the mini mills, still lost, closed circuit? or just a simple nema 23 bipolar high torque? have no idea how to wire, i understand the computer hookup, and limit switches. on a open. but not sure what the limits are (electrically)and best setup for drives and what i have will take. any suggestions? i feel like i am building a frankenstein.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i preordered one of his kits. hows the actual fit? and any probs with the z binding? heard there were a ton of complaints about fusion on this.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jess1234 View Post
    i preordered one of his kits. hows the actual fit? and any probs with the z binding? heard there were a ton of complaints about fusion on this.
    Mine is supposed to be shipping later this week, so i can reply here how it goes.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by jess1234 View Post
    Its not necessarily the Fusion kit that's the problem - its the X2 mills themselves. Chinese sourcing and quality controls are not at the same level as in the West so machined surfaces and drilled / tapped holes may vary in position but are fine for their original application..............bolt some aftermarket parts on that are built for one machine and they may require 'finessing' to work smoothly ie. my original fitting worked great, after a year I adjusted some bits and it started to bind - just have to be patient and adjust here and there!

Downloads
    Uploads

It's been a few months. Any updates? I'm about to pull the trigger on a kit for the X2D with the solid column and large bed.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by J1nglz View Post
    It's been a few months. Any updates? I'm about to pull the trigger on a kit for the X2D with the solid column and large bed.
    I wouldn't pay the price for a kit for the X2 tbf. Imo the spindle head just isn't strong enough. Mine isn't happy now after a year of abuse.
    Make your own parts for the x,y table manually using 1204 screws from china & thrust bearings.
    Then when the table is running make the parts for the Z
    Do a bit of cutting out work on the base, I got 150mm y travel from mine & could've gone more.

I'd save up and get a G0704 , AMAT25LV , PM25V or equivalent and build on that platform.

Downloads
    Uploads

Trying to gather some info on the mbbilici.com kit. this seems like the best engineered kit there is.
    I am leery of ordering it though. have people that have ordered it had a good experience with shipping. Is it a reputable company?

I am new to machining I have tried to contact fignoggle for plans but have not heard back...
    I like the idea of the small footprint. CNC Fusion is gone. I don't really want to re engineer my own kit. however I am not afraid to try somebody's pre-made plans.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by timcki View Post
    Trying to gather some info on the mbbilici.com kit. this seems like the best engineered kit there is.
    I am leery of ordering it though. have people that have ordered it had a good experience with shipping. Is it a reputable company?

I've bought a few of his belt drive kits and never had any problems . he ships quick .
    the cnc fusion kit is still being made under a new name and owner

Last edited by metalmayhem; 04-18-2019 at 02:17 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by metalmayhem View Post
    I've bought a few of his belt drive kits and never had any problems . he ships quick .
    the cnc fusion kit is still being made under a new name and owner
    do you know the new name and or owner?

you can PM me if you dont want to post a website here.

Downloads
    Uploads

Downloads
    Uploads

I recently bought a mblici belt drive kit for my X1. No problems with shipping, and he promptly answered a bunch of questions I had beforehand.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dazp1976 View Post
    I wouldn't pay the price for a kit for the X2 tbf. Imo the spindle head just isn't strong enough. Mine isn't happy now after a year of abuse.
    Make your own parts for the x,y table manually using 1204 screws from china & thrust bearings.
    Then when the table is running make the parts for the Z
    Do a bit of cutting out work on the base, I got 150mm y travel from mine & could've gone more.

I'd save up and get a G0704 , AMAT25LV , PM25V or equivalent and build on that platform.
    What did you do to gain the Y axis travel?