G0704 Head Spacer Modification - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: G0704 Head Spacer Modification

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 Head Spacer Modification

Hello All,

I also received my spacer kit from Mike. He did a fantastic job the spacers look stunning. I am jus waiting on my new longer ball screw to arrive.I will post some more pictures when I get it assembled.
    G0704 Head Spacer Modification-20170110_193232-jpg
    G0704 Head Spacer Modification-20170110_193247-jpg

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by albessat View Post
    Hello CNCzone,
    Today I just receive my G0704 Y Axis extension blocks from Mike and man they look beautiful. I can't wait to install them on my machine. he also including the print for the hole pattern needed to be drilled and tapped and the screws to mount the extension to the back of the head stock.
    I wasn't aware that drilling and tapping was needed. I thought they just bolted in but I really don't know. Can someone clarify this for me? What is involved in putting these in? I am thinking of adding these to a G0759 to regain the Y axis travel lost to the DRO (and gain a little more to boot). Anyone know if DRO scale length is the limiting factor? (I don't have the G0759 yet)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Jim27 View Post
    I wasn't aware that drilling and tapping was needed. I thought they just bolted in but I really don't know. Can someone clarify this for me? What is involved in putting these in? I am thinking of adding these to a G0759 to regain the Y axis travel lost to the DRO (and gain a little more to boot). Anyone know if DRO scale length is the limiting factor? (I don't have the G0759 yet)
    Jim - I have designed the head spacer to bolt to the back of the spindle head with (6) M6 fasteners. There is an optional M10 tapped hole on the opposite side which aids in drawing the top of the head tighter to the z-axis saddle. The column spacer has provisions for (2) M6 fasteners to help with alignment during assembly as well. These can omitted if you don't want to use them.

I would recommend 3.5/3.0 spacers if you have or are getting a G0759. PM me for details.

Regards,

Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I ordered the extensions from Mike WOW beautiful work hopefully one day I can produce a finish like that kind of hate installing them to pretty lol I wouldn't hesitate calling him great guy Thanks Mike

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by kenny8282 View Post
    Hello All,

I also received my spacer kit from Mike. He did a fantastic job the spacers look stunning. I am jus waiting on my new longer ball screw to arrive.I will post some more pictures when I get it assembled.
    G0704 Head Spacer Modification-20170110_193232-jpg
    G0704 Head Spacer Modification-20170110_193247-jpg
    I was finally able to mount up my kit from Mike. I'm impressed with the increased travel. I was able to easily get 9 inches in the Y axis even with the front hand still mounted. I expect another inch if I decide to fully remove it. Here are a few pictures with the spacers mounted. Ignore the limit switches they are "temporary" I have been telling myself they are temporary for almost a year...haha

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails G0704 Head Spacer Modification-tmp_24192-20170603_225309106367999-jpg   G0704 Head Spacer Modification-tmp_24192-20170603_225318497002681-jpg   G0704 Head Spacer Modification-tmp_24192-20170603_2253022018926266-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSherman View Post
    I thought I'd share my version of the G0704 head spacer modification. I use this spacer in conjunction with the spacer block that gets bolted to the base to column joint.

I decided to go with a 7-piece fabrication instead of hogging out an expensive block of aluminum. The finished spacer only weighs 3.2lbs, spaces the head 2.50" further out and looks pretty cool too! It permanently bolts to the spindle head with (6) M6 SHCS. It still retains the 4-bolt fastening scheme around the head pivot. I support the 3-bolt main t-bolts via spacers between the flat plates so there isn't any deflection as the bolt are drawn tight. The center bolt isn't supported so I use it simply add tension while tramming and to keep the head from coming off.

I removed the set screw on the side which originally kept the head form physically coming off the base plate - I felt it wasn't necessary. I added a 3/8 slot at 12 o'clock for a bolt to aid in pulling the head tight against the base plate. The slot still offers +/- head rotation of 12deg. Any more than that simply remove the bolt.

Here are some pics:

CAD:
    Attachment 312856
    Attachment 312858

Finished Assy:
    Attachment 312860
    Attachment 312862

Installed:
    Attachment 312864
    Attachment 312866

If anyone is interested in having one (for a fee), just PM me.

Thanks!

Mike
    Hey mike love your work I’m really interested in a head spacer and a Column spacer The form won’t let me pm you so figured I’d just reply thanks Travis

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123