C41 Variable Speed Control???

Thread: C41 Variable Speed Control???

Downloads
    Uploads

Default C41 Variable Speed Control???

HI all, looking at putting one of these on a c4 hi torque lathe... Will this control my spindle on and off and speed it up and down? I am trying to achieve full cnc control from a simple cycle start button... so i need it to also do CSS in conjuction with a c3 index pulse card.

Just wondering if anyone has used them and if it will do what i want.

Cheers Ryan

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: C41 Variable Speed Control???

The C41 should work fine but doesn't the C4 have a BLDC spindle motor? If so I'm pretty sure you have to have something like this as well: CNC Spindle Control Upgrade Kit for SX3, SC4 4645 - LittleMachineShop.com The install guide is under "Chris's tips."

C3's are great. Unfortunately Mach3 won't do true CSS ie: G96 combined with G95. It does G96/G94 fine but G95 makes it go wonky.

Downloads
    Uploads

mmmm... its a shame because i would of been a nice feature from the get go. maybe the LMS kit is the one that i will need.

Cheers Ryan

Downloads
    Uploads

Although Mach won't do G96/G95, it does do G96/G94 great. I use it a lot & the spindle speed increases & decreases with workpiece diameter changes as you would expect with G96. The C41/C3/LMS spindle board combo will give you that capability plus threading if your spindle speed is stable enough under load at low rpms. I think yours should be OK.

My ORAC has a C11 BOB/ C3 index card controlling a 560 watt DC motor with a KB SCR speed control. Works well except for doing threading on larger diameter steel parts. The single pulse doesn't keep things synched up close enough when the going gets tough & the speed varies. I recently purchased an AMC analog servo drive for the spindle which should stabilize things along with the help of the tach generator on the motor.