G0704 with DMM AC Servos

Thread: G0704 with DMM AC Servos

Downloads
    Uploads

Default G0704 with DMM AC Servos

I am getting a multi axis kit from DMM. I've had great customer service from them. For the X,Y, and Z I am running a .4kW AC servos with DYN2 servo drives, and I'm replacing the spindle motor with a .75kW AC servo with DYN4 AC servo drive and have upgraded spindle bearings. I'll be running a ESS with everything as well. I was told that their new system has been completely revised and redeveloped and that I could run the all 3 axis direct drive. The ball screws are 5mm pitch. Does anyone have a similar system or recommendation as to if I should do a belt reduction for the X,Y, and Z? Perhaps give it a little more torque and resolution?

Similar Threads:

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: G0704 with DMM AC Servos

Quote Originally Posted by usmarine21m View Post
    I am getting a multi axis kit from DMM. I've had great customer service from them. For the X,Y, and Z I am running a .4kW AC servos with DYN2 servo drives, and I'm replacing the spindle motor with a .75kW AC servo with DYN4 AC servo drive and have upgraded spindle bearings. I'll be running a ESS with everything as well. I was told that their new system has been completely revised and redeveloped and that I could run the all 3 axis direct drive. The ball screws are 5mm pitch. Does anyone have a similar system or recommendation as to if I should do a belt reduction for the X,Y, and Z? Perhaps give it a little more torque and resolution?
    I would think you are going to need a reduction drive. I am using TECO 0.750kw servos in a direct drive setup on a slightly larger machine on the X and Y with 5mm pitch ball screws. They are just right, any less inertia in the motors and I would need a reduction drive. I am using a 1kw TECO for my Z axis but that is with no counter balance.

I know a G0704 is not a very big machine but I would be inclined to use a larger motor for driving the spindle. 0.75kw is only 1 HP which is not very much.

-Dan

Downloads
    Uploads

usmarine21m

They could be used direct drive on the X & Y, but would be better with 2:1 ratio, your Z axes if you don't have a Gas assist shock to balance the weight, then you would need the 750w motor, with 2:1 on the Z axes with a Gas assist, you could use the 400w motor, at 2:1 it will still give you close to 300 IPM, which is more than enough for that machine, you want to use a 72 volt power supply for the new Dyna 2 drives

You may want to look at what your needs are for your spindle motor, 1-1/2 Hp is really a minimum for milling, can be done with smaller motors, with light cutting

Mactec54

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    usmarine21m

They could be used direct drive on the X & Y, but would be better with 2:1 ratio, your Z axes if you don't have a Gas assist shock to balance the weight, then you would need the 750w motor, with 2:1 on the Z axes with a Gas assist, you could use the 400w motor, at 2:1 it will still give you close to 300 IPM, which is more than enough for that machine, you want to use a 72 volt power supply for the new Dyna 2 drives

You may want to look at what your needs are for your spindle motor, 1-1/2 Hp is really a minimum for milling, can be done with smaller motors, with light cutting
    Hmm.. I wonder if I should use the 750w motor for the Z and save the extra 400w motor for another axis.. I found this today HMS G0704 / WMD20 1KW BLDC Motor + Belt Drive. Any thoughts on this for a spindle motor? Does this look like it has a good amount of HP for the mill? I mostly work with aluminum and sometimes use HSM tool paths. What is the best option as far as a spindle motor is concerned? I like the fact that a brushless motor is quiet. I'm not so much electronically inclined so something that has everything I need (motor/driver) like the one in the link I posted would be nice. Any suggestions?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by usmarine21m View Post
    Hmm.. I wonder if I should use the 750w motor for the Z and save the extra 400w motor for another axis.. I found this today HMS G0704 / WMD20 1KW BLDC Motor + Belt Drive. Any thoughts on this for a spindle motor? Does this look like it has a good amount of HP for the mill? I mostly work with aluminum and sometimes use HSM tool paths. What is the best option as far as a spindle motor is concerned? I like the fact that a brushless motor is quiet. I'm not so much electronically inclined so something that has everything I need (motor/driver) like the one in the link I posted would be nice. Any suggestions?
    I think it is a little concerning that the base rating is only 370 watts. You would be wattage ahead to use the 750 watt motor.

Downloads
    Uploads

I ended up ordering a 1.7kW motor for the spindle..I'm going use the .75 kW for the Z and the .4kW for the X and Y. Now its time to use my x2 to make the parts for the G0704...