my 1handed o704 build - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: my 1handed o704 build

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: my 1handed o704 build

am i correct in assuming that once i have my tool offsets all in the table and the tool lengths match whats in my cam settings.....that all i have to do is activate the tool offset on/off button in the tooloffsets screen and poplulate the tool change location dros in the settings page .... or should i use the safez setup in the config tab

Downloads
    Uploads

I think generally you either want your CAM or your controller to handle offsets, not both. If your controller (Mach3 / Linuxcnc) knows the tool length offset, your CAM program does not need to know.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the info.... i got it working... i changed to tool 1 and enabled tooloffsets...then switched back to tool zero.. then loaded the code and once it started and it seletced tool 1 , i checked to see if offsets were on and they were... then ran the code and switched to tool 2 it was correct, i dont have safe or tool change position activated but i automatically goes to z0 ,

i dont like it going all the way to the z limit switch...so im thinking i need to activate safez in machine coordinates and put in like a -.5 so it stops .5inch before z0

... this is so cool, im guessing that putting the dimensions into the code is just for simulation and such in the cam, but im also guessing that the diameter in the cam settings has an effect on stepover in the machining process as well... im not sure, i just know it works...

now i just need to figure out why im getting a y softlimit warning when i first hit run, if i choose ignore warning the first run....then reset it doesnt give the warning on subsequent runs...weird.... but whatever...i checked the distance and theres more than enough travel to avoid even getting into the soft limit 1 nch slow zone..im sure its just me doing something wrong...

im looking forward to adding the z camera for positioning and touch probe for edge and center finding...

i cant wait to get the big motor mounted and get some real rpm and power..

im also getting a glitch where mach3 wont even open...no matter how many times i try to open, even if i try run as administrator it wont open... i have to restart the computer ... not sure what thats all about...

Downloads
    Uploads

Diameter of the cutting bit is very important in CAM to determine cutting parameters.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so i stumbled through my first part....its barely usable .. i set the origin in the wrong place when i flipped the part so the pocets dont line up with the drilled holes... LMAO..
    whattaa mess but i learned a ton in short span...
    i learned the gibs were too lose..chatter and vibration..
    planning origin points better
    splitting up set ups where hold or design part location are critical
    i llearned i dont like 2 flute endmills
    to watch where i climb mill ...holy smokes..
    finally REALLy figured out offsets and how important regen tool path is...im now able to change tools with confidence that the next tool isnt going to slam into the work piece..cant wait to get a prob and tool setter..
    and cut the stock as close as possible to finished size...save money and machining time..gonna find a good 14inch bandsaw
    willl try again with the left standoff..
    if you guys would like a good laff let me know ill put the video up
    i am worried about the motor plate because i dont think im going to have enough travel to cut around it...

Downloads
    Uploads

Would love the see the vid 1 hander and welcome to the cnc club. Don't worry about minor mistakes! Wait until you have a major screw up that turns a fine project in to a "pile of shame" candidate. Ask me how I know!
    Just remember, small steps! Thanks for posting and thanks for serving!
    Bill

billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

its loud and im cussing

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so i started cutting the second motor stand....everything was going great...but my impatience bit me on the butt...i have neglected to make a cover to keep shavings off of the limit switches... and i saw a little piling up on the x limit switch...so i blew it away and the switch tripped from a shaving shorting across the contact s[pade and the bed.. i cleared it away and hit the reset button...then hit the start button again...and i immediately noticed the cut was a bit jheavier so i knew i lost steps...then it went to go in opposite direction and it sounded like the bed was stuck and the stepper was making that grinding lost step sound...at that point i called it quits again... i hit the estop button the control box to stop the x motor...switched the control box off and check the z axis manually with the hand wheel and it moved freely..so it wasnt stuck

then made the cover for the switches...
    is that motor going crazy a normal thing...ive never had it happen before from a limit switch being tripped...i also noticed that the pendant center encoder quit working..i hit reset and the outer wheel started working but as soon as i hit moved the innder jog inc step encoder the outer and the keyboard controls stopped working... a reset would get things working again but again as soon as it used the inner whee;l the controls would quit...it took a complete restart of mach3 to get it all working again...

not sure whats going on there... but the part is still good at least, just need to redo the post for the last operation and i hope i can at least get through that...and insight and opinions are welcome...
    thanks

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think i figured out what the stepper problem was, i restarted the part a second ago and it did the same thing..when it was done with a cutting pass...it zd up and then when it tried to x back to the start of the next cut it lost bunch of steps again so im going to lower the acceleration on the stepper, they were at 20 which i thought was fine...but apparently the rapids being used by the post are too fast, im not sure how to fix that..so i lowered the accel and see what happens

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it was the code/// i deltred that cut strategy and then just redid it the exact same way and it worked this time...im not sure why but there was a bug in it somehow... but i managed only to break a drill bit... i must have set the clearace hheight wrong...other than that it went ok...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok ..so i got the big motor on it...man talk about no room for mistakes..with the belt tight it looks like i have about 2mm of gap between the back of the motor and the colulmn..... but it looks like power will never be a problem... the hardest i will ever push it will probly be .080 stepover at 35ipm ... but it ate .160 stepover at 60ipm and the motor didnt even bat an eyelash at 1 to 2 ratio... no rpm drop at all.

but i found another ugly problem which im sure you guys are all aware of,,,the spindle ac bearings are doing there job no heat coming from that...but the bearings that are holding the sleeve (part of the quill i guess) get freakin hot ... it will run indef at 4800rpm, if i bump it to 7000rpm, in 1:30 ... the top of the mill head where those bearings are pressed in gets hot enough that 5 seconds on it is all my hand can take, im guessing thats too hot.....and it really feels like with the extra heat that the bearings are growing to the point that the spindle gets a bit harder to turn by hand,,

what bearings are you guys using or would recomend....itll go to 10k rpm no problem but im sure the bearings would seize..

Last edited by 1hander; 03-12-2016 at 09:45 PM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

it doesnt look like ill find bearings that can go to 10k... 8500 seems to be the max at 350 def F .. i dont plan on running higher than 7000...which im guessing is ok.... advise is welcomed and wanted...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

so ive been trying to figure out what the terrible vibration was at anything above 4k rpm...
    and im wondering if any of you guys have found this or if i just got lucky.... at the base of the spindle where it spins...on the outside diameter ..

i just happened to look at it while i was holding the quill barrel with the spindle in it...and as i gave the spindle a spin while looking at the nose of the spindle i noticed what looked like a wobble on the outside diameter of the spindle nose... i put the spindle in the lathe between centers.., and checked the runout at the outside diameter of the spindle nose and there has a whopping .034 lobe on it ... like a cam LOL ... i guess now i know where the majority of the vibration is coming from...but i dont have a live center large enough to support the spindle nose yet..

i also removed the geared part that drives the spindle and cut the gears off and just skimmed the center of the barrel till i got a clean cut across the surface.... and put new better i guess bearings in it... had .012 runout on the oustide... im sure that was adding to the vibration ...but not much cuz i could run it by itself all the way to 10k with almost no vibes...

Downloads
    Uploads

Put it he spindle in the mill. Put a lathe tool in the vise, and turn the OD of the spindle nose right on the mill

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a good idea...I think that would more accurate ...the only problem is I have to remove the lower collar cover thing and id be afraid of getting shavings into the ac bearing...I think I can remove the cover and seal the lower part with something..im not sure what just yet though ...

Thanks for the idea... I was planning on using the toolpost grinder.but your idea seems better ...

Downloads
    Uploads

@1hander
    What is the cost for making that CNC milling? I am wishing to have such type for metal plates. does it work with metal plates?

suresh

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 1hander View Post
    Thats a good idea...I think that would more accurate ...the only problem is I have to remove the lower collar cover thing and id be afraid of getting shavings into the ac bearing...I think I can remove the cover and seal the lower part with something..im not sure what just yet though ...

Thanks for the idea... I was planning on using the toolpost grinder.but your idea seems better ...
    Most likely the spindle is hardened, a lathe tool wont do what a grinder can. Grind til the sparks disappear. Much less deflection than a tools cut.

A lazy man does it twice.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by endlasuresh View Post
    @1hander
    What is the cost for making that CNC milling? I am wishing to have such type for metal plates. does it work with metal plates?
    hey ///

im sure others could answer better s this is my first build... but just to get the mill axis moving ..

mill
    cnc conversion kit
    control box
    P/C to run the control box
    if i remember correctly the above three things only will get you into the 3500.00 range ... that may be a bit low.. and does not include any software or tooling of any kind..
    with all the xtra junk ive been adding ... i really think im over the 5000.00 mark... im just going off the top of my head ... and ive been penny pinching everywhere i can...

pretty cheap when you consider the next thing up for me would be a tormach pcnc setup and that will get into the 15k range in a hearbeat... im happy with everything so far except the Y axis travel... its not enough for me...but im working on a plan for that... adding the 4th axis will be next though... i really need to learn and be able to make my own gears...

please dont forget..that even though the lower price makes it attractive.... it is tons and tons of research.....work...trial and error sometimes... more work and research...then more work... but the guys here have all the experience in the world... i really recommend looking a Hossmachine website... he is just plain and simple a mad scientist when it comes to this stuff ... he has dvds that outline everty single aspect of doing a g0704 conversion step by step...or in stages... with part numbers...drawings..dimensions... places to purchase... etc etc... it doesnt get much easier than that...

yes it can machine aluminum easily.... steel as well with the proper feeds and speeds....ive even seen the g0704 machining titanium with the stock DC motor.... you just have to stay within the rigidity limits of the machine.
    if your needing to machine alot of steel part.... i think the RF45 mill might be a better match for you..thats your call though..

hope that helps

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    Most likely the spindle is hardened, a lathe tool wont do what a grinder can. Grind til the sparks disappear. Much less deflection than a tools cut.
    i decided to remove the spindle for that reason... i was practicing with the grinder... on the quill drive, i used a 60grit...aluminum oxide.. 6k rpm ... 300rpm spindle and slowest feed rate... the finish was really good...

so went on to the outside of the quill barrel... same thing... with the 60grit and got a good finish...then i decided to go to the 120G aluminum oxide... and it was suddenly harder to get a good finish... i kept getting a weird looking ripple effect... so i reduced the doc to .00025 at 60 degrees on the compound... it got better...the finish was really cool...no heat build up... but no matter how small of a cut or spring passes made the ripples would not completely disappear...

i tried slower and faster feedrates... varying dept of cut...but you can just barely see the waves when you hold it to the light just right...
    it seems that grinding is another hobby to learn to do right,,,but the results are simply awesome...i love this thing..

on the left is a piece of 1144 stressproof, i love working with this stuff... it doesnt seem like the aluminum oxide 60grit likes to cut that material... the finish looks ok...but it doesnt feel really smooth... slower feed and rpm helped that finish...
    in the middle is the quill drive, i removed the gears and just wanted to play with it, not done finishing it yet... but the same wheel at the same feed and speeds gave a much smoother result in this material... im noto sure what it is...

these two are the base of the quill barrel i finished with the 120 grit.... you can just see the ripples i was talking about...

the ywo things i noticed are
    1. the motor seems to be jumping just a bit, i think its the belt doing it because the tension spring is weak... could be motor balance though... but its not that much at all...when i turn the carriage handwheel i can feel it though...i think its because the carriage has too much clearance in the front, i can lift the front of the carriage... i can just feel the up and down bump

2. i noticed the surface of the wheel has just a bit of shiny on it.. im not sure if its metal loading in it...

3. since the quill barrel is hollow, is there a chance maybe is ringing at a low frequency and thats whats causing the ripple... if i try a full .001 on the cross slide which is .002 total...then the ripples get really noticaeble and i can feel the high and lows in them

4. i did not try lowering the spindle rpm to 150... from 300

any advice is appreciated guys...

Last edited by 1hander; 04-15-2016 at 01:51 AM.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

i think i figured out the problems with the funny swirl...

1. the grinding wheel i was using was the warped and had a slight wobble side to side... i tried dressing it on both sides but i tossed it...
    i put on the second one i had and that one was pretty straight..very slight dressing on the sides and once the front was dressed the vibration went away

2. the compound slide is rocking lengthwise....even if i crank down the gib to the point that i cant even turn the handwheel it still rocks by .007 total... so i guess thats where all the chatter is coming from when i try to part anything even aluminum...

i think most get rid of the compound but im ready to convert it to cnc yet so ill take a swing at lapping it..to see if i can improve it a bit...
    i think the center will be here tommorow..

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast