Wood Control cabinet

Thread: Wood Control cabinet

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wood Control cabinet

Hello,

I am in the process of converting the G0704 to cnc and I'm thinking about making the control cabinet out of plywood. My primary hobby is woodworking so I have the materials and tools to make the cabinet.

The one concern I have is grounding. Do I need a ground for the DC in the cabinet or can I just rely on the ground provided by the parallel port.

If not, can I run a ground from the control cabinet (plan is to install a terminal strip in the cabinet) to the computer case?

Thank You

Bill

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wood Control cabinet

You will get ZERO heat expulsion through the wood. So put lots of fan blowing into the cabinet and out through the leaks. You need to filter the inlet to the fans.

Don

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I would think you'd want to connect all the grounds together in the cabinet rather than all of them flowing to the PC. I'd run from the PS in the cabinet to a ground terminal and all electronic grounds would tie to that terminal as well as the PC. Spindle drive you may want to handle separately. The KBIC controls I think can fry stuff unless they are isolated.

The heat issue is not that different. Wood is better insulator but your stuff is not going to do well in a closed-up metal cabinet with no cooling either.

CNC: Making incorrect parts and breaking stuff, faster and with greater precision.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thank"s to you both for your reply!

I plan on installing at least one fan in the cabinet with vents in the the bottom and top with screens.
    The cabinet will hold the PC,monitor,keyboard and the electronics all separated by dividers. Hopefully one fan will do,if not I'll add another.

Photomankc, I just happened to purchase the KBIC-125 motor controller because I bought the 1100w motor that Hoss suggested as an upgrade. So how exactly do you isolate the KBIC from the rest of the electronics? According to the manual, the board requires that it be supplied with 110 volts AC. Should it have it's own circuit with an isolated ground?

I also have the PMDX-125 BOB with PMDX-107 Speed control, the 125 also requires it's own 110v AC supply. I think I read in the manual that you should not combine the pcgnd with the power supply ground (I'll go back and check the manual).

So if that's the case, shouldn't the line voltage ground be separate from the ground for the Dc or do they all share the same ground?

Thanks
    Bill