Wabeco Mill

Thread: Wabeco Mill

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wabeco Mill

Can anyone comment on the Wabeco CNC mills that i found on mdaprecision.com I'd be looking to buy the F1210 High Speed Spindle version

I'm thinking of buying one, but i'd like to hear some testimonials first. Accuracy? Finish? Controller? Reliability?

Anything about it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Similar Threads:

Downloads
    Uploads

I've seen one running, cutting a model engine crank case. It was a really nice machine, and looked to be great quality, certainly on a totally different level than the Chinese imported machines. That is about the only info I can give, unfortunately.

Downloads
    Uploads

there really expensive

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi there,

I can't offer much more than LongRat, but I can reinforce what he said. I've seen them at shows and they are definitely a step up from the Chinese machines.

For some reason, they looked much bigger in real life than they did in the photos I had seen beforehand. I hadn't paid much attention to the specs though.

Regards
    Warren

Have a nice day...

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

There spec to dollar ratio seems rediculus. You can get a tiag for half that and a tomach for that. If this is your price range I'd spend it on the tormach. If your looking to do fine, small and precision work I'd get the Taig or one in that performance range.

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ya, but the pure numbers game seldom tells the true story. Compare the numbers for a Porche 911 and a Ford XXXX. Those that buy based on a simple spec sheet have not yet been on this earth long enough to comprehend the meaning of real disappointment.

Sorry if it seems like a smart arse answer but it really is true. So many people spend hours and hours pawing over specs sheets to find whose offering the largest x travel or the most horse power etc for the lowest price by $5.00. To get real vaue for money you need to look beyond this simplistic view of the consumer market place.

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by redrider9112002 View Post
    There spec to dollar ratio seems rediculus. You can get a tiag for half that and a tomach for that. If this is your price range I'd spend it on the tormach. If your looking to do fine, small and precision work I'd get the Taig or one in that performance range.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by redrider9112002 View Post
    I'd love the Tormach, unfortunately it won't fit through the door and down the stairs.

As for the Taig... is it for real that it weighs 85lbs??? I thought the wabeco was extremely light weight with 285lbs.

I'm assuming there is a BIG quality difference between the TAIG and the WABECO...

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by labuda View Post
    I'd love the Tormach, unfortunately it won't fit through the door and down the stairs.
    Are you sure? Tormach's documentation has some details on how it can be broken down. You should probably hire a rigger, but I bet it could be done.

-Jeff

Last edited by InspirationTool; 09-20-2006 at 10:53 PM. Reason: spelling

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by InspirationTool View Post
    Are you sure? Tormach's documentation has some details on how it can be broken down. You should probably hire a rigger, but I bet it could be done.

-Jeff
    They explain how to get it through a 32" door.

But to bring it down a 30" staircase, i would have to remove the whole table, ball bearings etc... voiding the warranty and potentially breaking stuff because the components are so heavy. Not a risk i'm willing to take. Also, i'm going to have to move the shop out of there in 3 or 5 years. so the problem is twofold. I'd rather spend a bit more money, get a wabeco, and not worry about disassembling + moving (which would cost over 1000$ in the end anyway).

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can get the Tormach through the door and down the stairs if you really, really want to. Talk to these guys.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tormach1100

Regards
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by labuda View Post

Downloads
    Uploads

Having seen Taig and Wabeco machines running under CNC, the Wabeco is nicer quality to my mind. But mainly, a hell of a lot beefier. I doubt the Wabeco would disappoint, it is always satisfying to own really nice quality equipment - machine tools or cars!* Whether it would be as capable as a Tormach, I don't know.
    *I know because I drive a Toyota pickup

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Unhappy

I purchased a Wabeco from Markus last year and I am glad I did. I am able to get 0.0002 accuracies routinely with careful tool management.

I looked for a long time and considered all of the lower cost options. After owning a string of Taiwanese and Chinese manual systems I opted for the F1210 HS. Most of my work involves mills smaller than 1/8 inch so the speed and accuracy is very important to me.

I have owned a Wabeco D6000E manual lathe for 10 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the price range. I had two other Chinese versions before that and haven't shed a tear in finding them new homes.

MDA adds a strong set of steppers in all of their equipment and now offers an upgrade to servo-style motors.

They are German-made and the Euro is making them more expensive. Can't do much about that.

TD

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Wabeco Mill

Quote Originally Posted by denningte View Post
    I purchased a Wabeco from Markus last year and I am glad I did. I am able to get 0.0002 accuracies routinely with careful tool management.

I looked for a long time and considered all of the lower cost options. After owning a string of Taiwanese and Chinese manual systems I opted for the F1210 HS. Most of my work involves mills smaller than 1/8 inch so the speed and accuracy is very important to me.

I have owned a Wabeco D6000E manual lathe for 10 years and I wouldn't trade it for anything else in the price range. I had two other Chinese versions before that and haven't shed a tear in finding them new homes.

MDA adds a strong set of steppers in all of their equipment and now offers an upgrade to servo-style motors.

They are German-made and the Euro is making them more expensive. Can't do much about that.

TD
    I'm going to buy a WABECO F1210HS, how rigid is the machine? I want it for small and medium production,

Most of my work involves mills smaller than 1/8 inch so the speed and accuracy is very important to me.
    plus I'm thinking of buying a precision lathe to make small things within 0.02mm (0.001") accuracy but I can't afford to buy a D6000, is a D4000 lathe good machine? I have seen many people complained about the quality of D4000.
    Thanks

Downloads
    Uploads

Its news to me that they are even available here in the states. I am presuming you are here in the US also? Their specs are impressive. They are certainly expensive, but probably merited, considering the outrageous cost of shipping right now, and the fact that they are special ordered one at a time from Germany. Honestly, it looks like a knockoff of one of the Chinese weiss or vario mills, but it is definitely not a Chinese clone. Lord, 9-10 grand, thats a ton of money, but who can say, I can't, I've never even seen one actually. Good luck, I hope your happy with it.

Halfnutz

Downloads
    Uploads

9K?.

Short Y.
    Belted steppers.
    MT2.

That's a definate no from me for all 3 reasons.

It's just like a modded one of these:
    https://www.warco.co.uk/milling-machines/303415-wm-14b-mill.html
    Or
    https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/A...E.html#SID=464
    That's makes £7.5k cost of their conversion! mental!!

You're prob better off with a small syil.
    Example:
    https://www.amadeal.co.uk/acatalog/S...74.html#SID=24

Downloads
    Uploads

I actually bought an F1410HS about 10 years ago. It was the CNC ready version, with linear rails and ball screws. I went with the SK30 spindle option because I didn't want MT2. This was at the time the biggest, highest specced machine they sold and I had every option apart from the garbage CNC control and software. The spindle set up is the worst part of the machine, because the bearings are not enlarged to accommodate the bigger options (MT3 and SK30) the taper is just located further below the head. I actually suspect the MT2, mounted as it is closer to the bearings, would be the most rigid option.
    I ran mine on very powerful servos and used the MDA trunnion to make the system 5 axis. There is no doubt this is a lovely machine, but it is not a cheap option and the spindle issue is not cool. Unless they have changed that now, very possible.
    I was using it for medical device prototyping and it got the job solidly done. I could hold ±15µm over a 100mm circular area in titanium. I actually checked the system using a Renishaw wireless ballbar and the biggest error was the XY squareness but I don't remember the numbers. I didn't feel like messing with the rails and didn't have the need to, but that should tell you something about the system in terms of its low backlash, and generally solid accuracy.
    Don't think it is related to the Chinese WM machines, I also own a Chinese WMD30LV and the quality is in a different league lower (reflected in the price of course). I actually think the Wabecos have been around somewhat longer, they aren't copies of anything to my knowledge.

Pros:
    Very nice quality parts, castings etc
    Excellent accuracy achievable

Cons:
    Price is high
    Spindle setup is unnecessarily compromised
    Full CNC system they (used to?) sell is terrible. The CNC-ready package is good though.

LongRat
    www.fulloption.co.uk