Build Thread My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion

I have not made any progress on the actual build yet, I did make a majority of the plans for it already in solidworks.. I will start a build thread shortly and post up the designs, you are welcome to copy, just be warned I haven't yet started ordering parts, and I am considering going to linear rails due to the finicky dovetails and adjusters... But I will likely do the conversion to cnc first and see how it does before making the switch.

Chris

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by lcvette View Post
    I have not made any progress on the actual build yet, I did make a majority of the plans for it already in solidworks.. I will start a build thread shortly and post up the designs, you are welcome to copy, just be warned I haven't yet started ordering parts, and I am considering going to linear rails due to the finicky dovetails and adjusters... But I will likely do the conversion to cnc first and see how it does before making the switch.

Chris

Cool, that would be awesome as Im a SW user as well. I understand the thought about going with Linear rails and Ive wondered about the same. With that said, the guys that have gone before us seem to get great results from what the machine came with. Will you post progress in this thread? Its really becoming a great repository for converting this combo machine.

Downloads
    Uploads

O will link to it but figure I'll start my own build thread so it doesn't get lost in all the pages in here..lol

Downloads
    Uploads

Chris

Chris,

Have you made any progress on your build yet? Id love to see how you plan on mounting things up. I plan to CNC the lathe to start as I have a Tormach for milling. You mentioned earlier you would be willing to share your design. If you are still willing, I would love to check out your SW files.

David

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you ever figure out the mill spindle vibration? I have the same vibration and I'm thinking it's unbalanced pulleys maybe.. I'm used to the spindle on my g0704 making a racket from the quill splines, but this vibration is more consistent with something being out of whack somewhere.

Chris

Never did, I bought a new pulley, wasn't it, machined the old pulley on the lathe, trying to make it perfectly round, not it. I think its just the tolerance of the bearings and trying to whack everything in place when I put the new bearings in. Should have just left it alone.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Chris,

Have you made any progress on your build yet? Id love to see how you plan on mounting things up. I plan to CNC the lathe to start as I have a Tormach for milling. You mentioned earlier you would be willing to share your design. If you are still willing, I would love to check out your SW files.

David
    I need to post them soon I suppose I've just been slammed the last couple weeks with my website and product launch.. Still haven't ordered parts yet either. This k to be safe I would like to go through the designs again before I release then to the world.. Don't want anyone mistaking then for proven designs.

Downloads
    Uploads

I need to post them soon I suppose I've just been slammed the last couple weeks with my website and product launch.. Still haven't ordered parts yet either. This k to be safe I would like to go through the designs again before I release then to the world.. Don't want anyone mistaking then for proven designs.

Ok great news, thanks for the update!

David

Downloads
    Uploads

...Nevermind, answered my own questions.....

Last edited by ratfink; 05-15-2016 at 12:35 PM. Reason: researched

Quote Originally Posted by zer0fighter View Post
    @KevMoto, hope the move goes swiftly and smoothly and you can start playing around with the machine again.

I finally bought a proper endmill, a Moritool roughing EM for aluminum specifically. It's this one: ......
    450mm/min full width cut 0.5mm I think. I am sure I could push it harder, I need it in a bigger vice first, and run the spindle faster too. Anyways, great tool. I will probably get some more of their products, worth the money IMO.
    Well, we ended up moving twice! First into a friends rental until we could find the right property and then into the "right" property. Only the right property didn't have a garage or shop. So it took some saving up, but I am now building a garage/shop/guest house! They are almost done with the framing (would have been done if not for all the rain)... so by this summer, I should be able to be in my new (BIGGER) shop...1200 sq. ft. of shop below (last shop was only 400 sq. ft.) and 500 sq. ft of living space upstairs!

First item on the build list is to get right back at my G9729 conversion! So I am NOT gone...just pre-occupied... will keep you posted.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought one of these G9729 machines recently and want to turn it into CNC. Sounds like I'm in for a fun project.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by abomb View Post
    I bought one of these G9729 machines recently and want to turn it into CNC. Sounds like I'm in for a fun project.
    Awesome. I can share any drawings w you if you need a starting point.

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by abomb View Post
    Probably the smallest machine in your shop..Lol. I'm finishing mine up and will post some pictures in the near future of the assembly. Should be a fun little machine!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That would be amazing zer0fighter! I'd really appreciate that! I really need to get this thing going and making some awesome stuff!
    Got a good deal on a bunch of extra tools and accessories with it for basically the price of the machine new and delivered! Need to also make some sort of rigid table for it. I kind of want to enclose it too. Sorry I get too excited lol.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Grizzly G9729 3 in 1 CNC Conversion-img_5418-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi,
    Any chance that anyone has put together a parts list? I don't mean to be a killjoy, but forum sites and how they format pages aren't very useful in keeping anything in kind of order.
    If possible I could use some help with:

• Fannblades post shows no pics. So its hard to tell what is what and where things go when referring to them in the posts.
    • I have been through Fannblades Post and this post and I am unable to find a COMPLETE list of parts between the two.
    • Ballscrews, as far as I can read one is a 3/4" and another is 1/2"? I assume the 3/4" is for the X Axis and the 1/2" is for the Y?
    • What is the part number, length or specs of these ball-screws? I assume I can get them from Automation Technologies?
    • I am thinking of converting to linear slides after grinding the ways, as I will also be moving the milling head to a different position along with it having X,Y, and Z axis separately.

Thanks
    R

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I'm interested in doing a similar conversion for my HF 3 in 1.

Is there any way to see FlanBlade's images? I know someone mentioned copying a link, but failed to say just how he did that.

Could we get the admin to fix the links?

Failing that, is there an offsite link I can go to, to follow his build?

Thanks,

SpaceX

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello,

I'm interested in doing a similar conversion for my HF 3 in 1.

Is there any way to see FlanBlade's images? I know someone mentioned copying a link, but failed to say just how he did that.

Could we get the admin to fix the links?

Failing that, is there an offsite link I can go to, to follow his build?

Thanks,

SpaceX

Sponge Bob Square Pants...... 8 yrs later (French accent)...

Went to buy some metal to do my backsplash because the piece I bought 8 years ago got rusted over 3 house moves and all sorts of adventures... Was going to cost $1500 for the piece... so I broke out the angle grinder and sanding discs... Came up with a new look (industrical chic).. ha hahah it's the un-wadded paper effect... Seriously, I just wanted to get on with it. I have my new garage built and I'm just tired of waiting to work on it. So here are some pics of my Grizzly 9729 with table and new backsplash... coated in some floor epoxy I had left over, painted the table with some red that was touch up paint from the 2 post lift I just installed.

Now I have a question... Since I'm new to milling/lathing, I'm a little confused about what collet(s) I should buy for the 9729... says it has a MT3 taper for the mill, MT3 for the tail stock, MT4 (?) for the lathe?? I read somewhere that a collet is a more secure hold even for lathe...so I'm looking at lathe collet(s) as well.

ANY helpful tip you have is much appreciated. I"m looking to get a good starter set... so I can surface pieces of metal (all different kinds), end mill, ...etc... all of it. so I can get used to it before I start the CNC conversion...

Downloads
    Uploads

I beat myself up too. Bottom line: you did a great job!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456