The Enclosure

Thread: The Enclosure

Downloads
    Uploads

Default The Enclosure

In dire need of an enclosure for many reasons. The latest reason was the move to flood cooling, Next on the list was the added benefit of keeping swarf under control. Third was to make my shop a little quieter. And last was the added benefit of keeping something between the machine and me so that if something goes for a flyer (again) It will be somewhat contained.

So I decided to go with wood due to cost and ease of build. The inside is HPDE (puckboard for all you fellow Canadians). Sound proofing insulation in the walls. 1/8" MDF white one side for the exterior "skin". I plastic welded the bottom "tub". The side walls are removable with the removal of half a dozen screws. Side window is 1/4" Lexan.

Also of note is that I have a waterproof Florescent light and a large 6" axial fan on the ceiling.

With the exception of the light and Fan -that I had on hand- the total build cost is $250. Will expect another $50 for the doors, hardware etc.

To Do List:
    -Need to make the doors and I am thinking of a by fold design.
    -Cover the plugs in the back wall and the opening I left for all the cables, hoses and such.
    -Install the drain(s) and plumb them into the flood coolant sump (it will be that 5gal pail in the last photo but under the mill of course)

The Enclosure-wp_20130331_007-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130331_008-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130402_009-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130403_005-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130407_003-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130407_004-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130410_001-1-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130410_002-1-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130410_003-1-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130410_005-1-jpg

Similar Threads:
    Last edited by zerodegreec; 04-10-2013 at 06:31 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Surely you're not actually going to leave that 120V electrical outlet INSIDE the enclosure??? That is a MASSIVE safety hazard.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

The better question is are you using Noah sized flooding? or just that single squirter on the left of the machine? If Noah flooding yes outlet could be a problem but with just a single squirter like ya got, I see no issues, maybe get ya one of those outside outlet covers with the lil flip covers.

Downloads
    Uploads

The plugs will not be left as is. The cover will be a waterproof box, plus a removable cover for the cables as well as the plugs. I am quite a ways away from turning on the flood coolant.

The loc-line is just air at the moment, but I will be going with 2 flood coolant loc-line hoses once its ready to go.

Downloads
    Uploads

Almost done. Got the doors on and need to finish up the "track" for the doors. A little more lipstick and makeup for the exterior thinking of a nice coat of primer after a good sanding.
    Drain to be finished yet, but I have all the parts and it will be ready for the flood.... Just don't have any yet. I added the new photos to the Original post.

The electrical is now covered and waterproof, cool little exterior box as well as a cat flap over the wiring hole I left. EDPM rubber seals that up quite nicely for what I will be doing.

I have ordered some coolant but its not in yet, the local supply houses for any other brand wants me to buy 5gal minimum. Have a friend that works as a CNC babysitter and says he will get me some. Anxious I tell ya!

Downloads
    Uploads

Drains are plumbed and tested, All good. Bought some coolant from a local Machine shop. The guys were nice enough to sell me a 4L jug for $20. Other than a couple bolt holes in the drip tray (and under the mill) that I missed, no leaks. Had some good splashing going on when facing a chunk of scrap with a 3/4 EM. Chip loads are great now. Need to trust the GWizard calcs and let it off the leash tomorrow. Hoping to see some 1000mm/min action finally!
    The Enclosure-wp_20130412_005-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130412_006-jpgThe Enclosure-wp_20130412_007-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looks great man, thanks for sharing!

Downloads
    Uploads

i'm ready to see some video of some coolant spraying!

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely. Very cool.

Lee