New Machine Build Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion - Page 12

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Hi.

Your encoder mount looks quite nice. Are you willing to share the, preferably, Fusion360 file for it? Currently I'm planning to make my own encoder based on Russtuff' diy encoder, but I expect 1000cps works better than 60cps... :-)

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Stigoe View Post
    Hi.

Your encoder mount looks quite nice. Are you willing to share the, preferably, Fusion360 file for it? Currently I'm planning to make my own encoder based on Russtuff' diy encoder, but I expect 1000cps works better than 60cps... :-)
    Here are the Fusion files. If you make the parts, post some photos in this thread so we can see them. Can you share a link to the Russtuff' diy encoder?

https://a360.co/2kZTMRP
    The password is:
    G0602

This encoder assembly is working fine. I didn't make an assembly, you should be able to figure it out from the photos. The hard part of this project was determining the gear pitch. Its metric. The one in the model is exact to the gear on the spindle.
    I played around some making a few gears. They are machined from UHMW. Your going to need a 1/16" EM with a .375 LOC, or you could go thinner and make a .250" thick gear. I have some one flute and 2 flute PN's from them. The one flutes are pretty sick. I would do multiple depths. Probably .05" DOC each pass with the 1/16" EM. The .250" gears may actually run quieter. The more accurately you machine and assembly everything, the quieter it will run.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-1-16-0625...-/152546831228

This encoder setup is working well, it just makes a bit more noise than I care for. Its not terrible but I don't like it to be honest. I am considering possibly a belt drive encoder.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Matt.

Thank you, but it looks like it was just the top plate you shared, not the base plate or gears.

Russ' DIY encoder can be found on Grabcad: DIY Encoder, but this is just A and index, while I was planning to redo it to have both A, B and Index and to fit my WM290 (PM1127). His videos from converting his G0602 can be found on Youtube

I was looking into creating a belt-driven encoder, but I couldn't find a good spot to mount it and I don't know if there are any belts with a good fit to the gear on the spindle shaft.

Br,
    Stig

Last edited by Stigoe; 06-10-2018 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Wrong bracket used in a link...

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Matt.

Thank you, but it looks like it was just the top plate you shared, not the base plate or gears.

Russ' DIY encoder can be found on Grabcad: DIY Encoder, but this is just A and index, while I was planning to redo it to have both A, B and Index and to fit my WM290 (PM1127). His videos from converting his G0602 can be found on Youtube

I was looking into creating a belt-driven encoder, but I couldn't find a good spot to mount it and I don't know if there are any belts with a good fit to the gear on the spindle shaft.

Br,
    Stig
    I will look into the file share in an hour or two and fix it. For the encoder belt design I was thinking of replacing the spindle gear with a pulley of about the same thickness. The gears are holding up nicely so far and seem to work fine, they are just a tad noisy for my taste. With this CNC conversion almost all of the mechanical gears and parts are removed. The lathe becomes much quieter and is much more enjoyable to run smooth and quiet. Aside from that, the OEM spindle bearing are terribly loud and need to be changed. It’s crazy how much the original G0602 bearings growl even at lower rpm. A lot of people don’t realize how bad they really are until listening to a set that have been replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Downloads
    Uploads

I picked up this 5C chuck with a back plate threaded for a G0602 off EBay for $180 shipped. I think it was from CDCO.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/New-List-Sale...-/272966351763

From the ad:

Comes With a Semi-finished Adapter (1-3/4 x 8 Threaded Hole) exactly as our picture show . The mounting holes already drilled and tapped. Customer just need to finish machining the locating registration boss a little to mount the chuck and adapter together for them self on their own lathe to assure the best accuracy.

We will see how true I can get it to run. I have seen a few of these that were complete garbage.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-img_1253-jpg   Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-img_1252-jpg  
    Last edited by Turbo442; 06-10-2018 at 12:09 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Hi, Matt.

Br,
    Stig
    Is this Fusion file link any better?

https://a360.co/2xZrTCu

Password: G0602

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! That worked a lot better... :-)

I don't think I have any UHMW, but I have several pieces of HDPE so I'll see how that will work. Otherwise I just have to see if I can source some UHMW or other suitable material.

Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't forgotten to show pictures of my installation, but it has just taken quite some time before I got to make this... :-)

Since I don't have a G0602, but a Weiss WM290 (PM1127VF-LB / HBM290V-F), I can't use the encoder mount verbatim, mostly because the distance between the head casting and the gear on the spindle is bigger than on the G0602. So I had to turn around the gears and make the encoder base thicker. I also didn't want to use a screw as an axle for the intermediate gear, so I turned down a part of an M10 all-screw to act as an axle.

I didn't have a 1/16" long reach end mill and I couldn't get hold of any with a reasonable shipping costs, so instead I created points 0.75mm from the bottom of the teeth and drilled 1.5mm holes to get all the way into the teeth and used a 2mm end mill to get the rest. Had to clean up a bit of fuzz, but that can also be because I used HDPE instead of UHMW.

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-encoder-parts-1-jpg

Since I didn't have any anodized aluminium and I couldn't be any worse, I powdercoated the parts instead... :-)

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-encoder-parts-2-jpg

I used a 6mm end mill to just plunge mill the holes in the gears, so it was a slight slip fit / press fit on the encoder axle. To prevent the gear from slipping on the axle, I drilled and tapped a hole for a set screw.

After that it was just to assemble all the parts and install the whole assembly on the lathe.

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-encoder-assembled-jpg
    Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-encoder-mounted-jpg

Now I just have to finish the remaining parts and configure PathPilot properly.

Downloads
    Uploads

Uh oh, look what just showed up!

Downloads
    Uploads

X axis rails I had laying around.

Downloads
    Uploads