New Machine Build Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion - Page 11

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

I did order one for the router along with the Pro software.
    I will start a thread to document the changes I make to the CRP plug and play system.
    Should be pretty straight forward. I did not notice any head scratching parts yet.

Lee

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Roadstercycle View Post
    I just bought 2 Acorns for my Lathe and mill with Pro. Goodby Mach3 Some of the guys have been having good luck with these encoders found on Ebay $25. OMRON Rotary Encoder E6B2-CWZ1X E6B2CWZ1X 2000P/R new in box free ship.
    I bought a couple to try myself. They are knock offs for sure. You have to run 1 to 1 with the spindle with Acorn. Mine should be here Wednesday fingers crossed. Can't wait to hook them up and take them for a test ride.
    Thanks, I ordered one of the encoders from EBay. Can’t beat $25 shipped!

Man this guy did an amazing job documenting his build. Here is his 1:1 encoder drive.

Logan CNC Lathe Conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that the other day, he did a really great job. The encoder mount is over the top, $500 mount for a $25 encoder. Actually he had an encoder in stock. It's a beautiful thing. I ordered my pulleys last night for the lathe. I already did the mill encoder mount on the spindle. Next is the lathe. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have them both up and running with Acorn.

Downloads
    Uploads

This is a pretty awesome home feature!!!

Should be able to power off for the night and re-start without need to touch off.

Downloads
    Uploads

I had two acorn boards show up in the last couple of days. Dragged the lathe out, dusted it off, cleaned it up and fired up Mach one last time. Everything checked out fine. Ran pretty quiet, now I am second guessing if I should build a second controller....Screw it I will just use this controller.
    Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-img_0374-jpg
    Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-img_0373-jpg
    Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-img_0379-jpg

Last edited by Turbo442; 01-12-2018 at 05:26 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Pulled the original CNC4PC boards from the controller. Left the power controls and 5056 stepper drivers. Moved the drivers over on the mounting plate to give a little more room for the Acorn board in the controller. Got the Acorn board mounted on standoffs. Mounted and wired the Centroid 24V PS. After about 4 hours of messing around I had Z and X axis moving around. I had to reverse the X motor direction. I did that by reversing both pairs of stepper motor wires at the driver. I am trying to keep the Centroid settings close to default if possible. Another couple of hours and I had Z and X calibrated under .001' and backlash set. I used .001" for both Z and X. Its amazingly close at the moment. Now on to the VFD wiring. Upgrading from an existing Mach setup is sooooooo much easier than doing this controller from scratch. Actually its pretty fun because it moves along so quickly. So much less troubleshooting. Also Centroid provides all kinds of schmatics to help with various configurations. Its helping me a lot to understand proper implementation of the various safety and interlock systems we often over look on home CNC builds. I built a dedicated WIN10 machine from a 5 year old game machine I had laying around. Plenty of performance. Did a fresh install of WIN10 and configured the OS per centroids recommendations. So far the solid seems much more polished than Mach although I am going to do my best to not talk negatively about Mach. I got us where we are today and made a huge impact on the CNC world. I really appreciate the clean and uncluttered look of the Centroid software interface so far. It really has a professional / commercial feel to it.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is the new layout with the Acorn Board. I will clean up the wiring after I get a few more things completed like the VFD and spindle encoder. I plan to add a proper ESTOP circuit per Centtoid specs, home flags, limit switches, a 4th wire for the 240V circuit. Flood coolant relay. Led enclosure lighting.

Downloads
    Uploads

Making some progress. The steppers and spindle are moving around. I finally got the Acorn Board controlling the TECO VFD FWD, STOP, REV AND SPEED.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking good.
    I have only been doing some preliminary prep research to get everything together for my Acorn on a CRP router. Things like wiring diagrams I will need. Post processor for Fusion 360 for the Centroid.
    Getting the computer setup, etc.
    Then I will be right behind you.

Lee

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Matt,

I have been following along with this build as I am getting ready to CNC a G0602 and a G0762. At first I thought I was going to use Mach, as that is what I currently use on my CNC router. After reading through this thread, I'm seriously considering the Acorn/Centroid setup.

I've been reading several threads and might have them confused, but did you add a braking resistor to the Teco?

Tron

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TronCarter View Post
    Hi Matt,

I have been following along with this build as I am getting ready to CNC a G0602 and a G0762. At first I thought I was going to use Mach, as that is what I currently use on my CNC router. After reading through this thread, I'm seriously considering the Acorn/Centroid setup.

I've been reading several threads and might have them confused, but did you add a braking resistor to the Teco?

Tron
    From what I remember, the TECO VFD will not connect to an external braking resistor directly. It needs an optional external braking module. That being said there is an internal resistor built into the TECO VFD you can use, it’s just pretty easy to overwhelm it at the higher RPM’s.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been making some progress on the Acorn encoder setup. I have attached some photos.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using only one drive gear, I couldn’t get the encoder close enough to the original spindle gear drive with out it hitting the spindle pulleys. So I added an idler gear to get additional clearance around the pulley. The red anodizing is just some scrap aluminum I had laying around. This may not be the final version of the encoder mount. I have a few changes I will probably make although this should work as is.

Downloads
    Uploads

The gears are machined out of white UHMW on the mill using a 3/8 EM 3 FL, 1/8 EM 2 FL and 1/16 EM 2 FL. I used coolant, they came out pretty clean and fit the original spindle gear perfectly.

Downloads
    Uploads

The new Centroid wireless remote jpg handle showed up today. I upgraded to the latest software/firmware per the YouTube video. The jog handle works great so far and the quality of it exceeded my expectations!!! It’s so much nicer than the Vista CNC unit I was using with Mach. Nice thick rubber molding on the outside. The jog wheel feels great. Two big thumbs up!!!

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo442 View Post
    From what I remember, the TECO VFD will not connect to an external braking resistor directly. It needs an optional external braking module. That being said there is an internal resistor built into the TECO VFD you can use, it’s just pretty easy to overwhelm it at the higher RPM’s.

Yes, I was talking about the external braking module. I was wondering if you purchased one and are using it.

That pendant is just a mid level XHC model. There are wired and wireless XHC units starting at like 40 bucks. I have one, as well as a XHC tool height setter, they are reasonable enough. How it compares to your VistaCNC model would almost certainly be based on what model you got from them. My PS4 blows my XHC unit away. The Vista hardware is nicer, the back lit display is a nice improvement, but the drivers are where the real magic is found. The Vista drivers are excellent whereas the XHC ones sucked. I'm sure Centroid spent a lot of time getting the XHC programmed correctly for their software and that I'm confident makes it a worthwhile purchase.

USB Wireless MPG-PHB04B Products ???????????

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Axis-XHC-...UAAOSwRDtZz1z6

Downloads
    Uploads

V2 of the encoder mount is done.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by TronCarter View Post
    Yes, I was talking about the external braking module. I was wondering if you purchased one and are using it.
    Yes I wired up the braking module and have been running it. It seems to work fine. I have been running it with an external resistor. It’s not mounted yet as you can see though.

Downloads
    Uploads

I wired up the encoder tonight and mounted it on the lathe. The encoder is working as advertised and the gears are holding up nicely. I ran the spindle up to 5000 rpm for a bit and everything did fine. Generally I don’t run this spindle over 3000 rpm, it’s just not safe if it bird nests at that RPM. I ran the the test pawn CAM from the Centroid encoder folder. You can hear the RPM vary some in the beginning but it maxes out pretty quickly because of the rpm limit set in the cam. I need to spend some more time dialing in my VFD. For some reason my 0-10 volt signal is running 3-12 volts. It’s not letting the VFD get down to its lower RPM. Might be a voltage issue or a VFD setting, I am going to need to figure that out next. It would be nice if Acorn supported modbus. Im not sure if it does at this point.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast