New Machine Build Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion - Page 5

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DonKes View Post
    The automotive parts places have a 24x36 drip pan that might work.

Don
    That's funny, I was at NAPA yesterday looking at those drip pans thinking the same thing. The price wasn't too bad either.

Downloads
    Uploads

The coolant setup arrived from Grizzly today. I swapped out the Chinese loc-line copy for USA loc-line. Just my personal preference and it happened to be laying around. The pump unit looks good. Saves a lot of hassle plus its pretty mobile if needed. I like the handles.

Today I got my tool post spacer mounted. I need to machine the T-nut next. I can flip the tool post spacer 180 deg if I need a little extra rigidity. I countersunk two hardened M8 cap screws in the spacer and threaded them into the original compound mounting holes. I also squared up the saw cut ends of the tool post spacer on the bridgeport.

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-03-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is today's enclosure update. Mostly detail stuff that I have been dragging my feet on.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

That really is a beautiful machine. The 5/8 rod out segment is a great idea I think you'll see others (and myself) use.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Topdecking View Post
    That really is a beautiful machine. The 5/8 rod out segment is a great idea I think you'll see others (and myself) use.
    The threaded rod is nice for this application because it allows me to tweak the adjustment of the lower rail in and out. I originally drilled and tapped 5/8 threads into the side of the lathe. Today I decided I wanted to weld the nuts to the back of the lower rail so the all thread was not protruding through the rail like the original design. This forced me to drill out the original holes I tapped into the lathe and use a nut on both sides to lock the all thread to the lathe. Now the rail looks cleaner and the door slides open further.

Downloads
    Uploads

And here is one cool feature I forgot to mention.

Downloads
    Uploads

Looking great, Matt!!!

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DLA_Dezign View Post
    Looking great, Matt!!!

Dave
    Thanks Dave! Got a few more details finished up yesterday.

This showed up today. It a lot bigger than I thought. Kinda cool...

Matt

Downloads
    Uploads

Uhhh. yaaauh, that is a LOT bigger than I thought. (why do I sound like a girl saying that? lol!)

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a quick video of the current progress as I get ready for paint. Made a little tool tray for the top of the lathe.

Downloads
    Uploads

Got some paint put on last night. What a PITA. Dark grey and light grey.

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-10-2013 at 06:59 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Absolutely perfect if you ask me!

Not that I'm anybody, but in all seriousness, nice color combo as it looks professional as hell.

Dave

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by DLA_Dezign View Post
    Absolutely perfect if you ask me!

Not that I'm anybody, but in all seriousness, nice color combo as it looks professional as hell.

Dave
    Thanks Dave, I just looked at what some other mfg's were doing for colors and copied them. (Haas). I wanted the inside to be lighter so it didn't turn into a dark hole if I mount a full enclosure. I may mount a light, doesn't seem to need it yet. I will see after I get the polycarbonate installed. I sprayed Rustoleum thinned with acetone. Seems to hold up very well, I use it on my shop benches and tables. You can get it in different colors by the gallon at HomeDepot for $25.

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-12-2013 at 12:43 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is today's progress. Woke up early around 4:45 AM and started fooling around in the shop. Found myself machining the tool post t-nut in a bath robe. Now there are a bunch of steel chips stuck to the robe. I left it out in the shop, If my wife saw it she would be pissed. At least I wasn't in my bare feet, I had some crocs on. I always try to have foot cover on when working with steel. I machined the tool post T-nut on the Jet bridge port clone using some of those cheap HF cutters. You know the set, don't try and act cool! I think I used the 4 flute 3/4" end mill. Cut whatever that steel was like butter. I was taking 1/10" DOC at 100%. After about 5 minutes I started enjoying the feel of the hot chips on my face. Kind of like being attacked by a swarm of bees's. After a bit of trial and error I got the nut fitting well in the slot. The paint is looking good and is starting to harden up nicely. I turned the heat up in the shop to 85 deg F last night. Got all of the gibs oiled up and adjusted nicely. I guess its time to start on the electronics cabinet! FUN FUN.....NOT! Where the heck is my window molding trim?

Downloads
    Uploads

Window molding finally showed up today.

Here are the daily photos.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Matt's Grizzly G0602 CNC Conversion-dos-equis-guy-jpg

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

First it was a gun and now a grenade. Any intruders are in for a BIG surprise.

Downloads
    Uploads

OK, yesterday evening I visited a friends machine shop. Its kind of interesting, they only machine plastic. Its about a 10,000 sqft shop so its fairly large. Check out some of their scrap bins...

and I really didn't take a photo of the big piles of scrap...

They are busy as all heck by the way.

Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a piece of black UHMW I grabbed to make a coolant/chip pan. Its 48"x24"x1" thick. I am going to leave two pedestals in the center for the lathe to sit on. I am going to machine a half inch slope that runs from the front to the back that will direct coolant to the drain. Will have a 1/2" thick lip 1" high around the outside. Gonna start machining it shortly.

I will also be able to mill a grove in the outside lip of the coolant/chip pan to sit a fixed enclosure into. The sliding door will scoot just under the fixed enclosure. I will make a hinged door on the end of the enclosure. I will be able to lift the fixed enclosure off the chip pan for cleaning, maintenance.

Last edited by Turbo442; 04-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.

Downloads
    Uploads

I have been searching and scratching around for various inserts that will offer a better finish that what I currently can get. I was discussing the topic of surface finish with my mentor the other night. I asked if it was true that HHS properly ground will offer a better finish then carbide inserts. He said that the typical import inserts that I have been using are generally used with steel and that to get a super nice finish with aluminum I will need a sharper edge on my cutters like properly ground high speed steel can give. That being said he showed me that I do indeed posses some inserts that are designed specifically for turning aluminum and other non ferrous metals. These type of inserts have a sharp edge and are generally polished to reduce the chip from sticking. The non-ferrous inserts also have larger chip clearance.

Top row are the original inserts, mounted inserts are designed for non-ferrous metals.

Same again, Top row are the original inserts, mounted inserts are designed for non-ferrous metals.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast