Sources for cheap threadmill bits? - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sources for cheap threadmill bits?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is what i did
    I used a grade 5 bolt (1 dollar)
    Machined teeth onto it then heat treated it

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sources for cheap threadmill bits?-20180522_180537-0-jpg   Sources for cheap threadmill bits?-20180522_180537-jpg  

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Sources for cheap threadmill bits?

Start with outer threading. Use an old drill bit any size will do. Take a grinder or a dremel and cutoff disk. Flat the tip of the bit. Then grind the tip in 60°, tilt the tip a bit to get clearence. For the 60° make a holder, for the tilt make two holders (about 6°). stack the 3 together. You have to tilt from front to back for the nose clearance, You have to tilt from left to right/right to left for the left/right side.
    For inner threading, the nose clearance should be larger. I do 16°.
    Threading is not rocket science. Grinding tool bits is easy especially if you only have to grind flats.
    For inner threading,

Below a small threading tool based on a 4.1 mm HSS rod, tip heated red, bend 90°, quenched in water, grinded using a dremel and holder made in MDF. Can do threads 7 mm and higher
    Sources for cheap threadmill bits?-s7300415-jpg

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sources for cheap threadmill bits?-s7300415-jpg  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12