Newbie spindle rpm readout on pc

Thread: spindle rpm readout on pc

Downloads
    Uploads

Default spindle rpm readout on pc

hello,

i am thinking a milling machine conversion to cnc.

i have some things to figure out yet and i would appreciate any help.

please forgive my silly questions but i am not having any experience with that kind of machinery.

the milling machine is a Optimum bf20L equivalent to Grizzly 604 or 704 i am not sure.. the machine has a dc motor installed with a potensiometer and a speed readout from a sensor on the spindle.

1)is there a way to connect the mach to that sensor so i will have an rpm indicator?how you guys do that?

2) is there a way to control the motor speed within the mach?

for the momment i would like to keep the stock motor and the two speed gearbox.the max speed in this momment is 1250rpm in speed1 and 2500rpm in speed2. i am not thinking to swap the motor yet and i will stay with the 2500rpms until i am up and running.

plan B is to change the motor and use a vfd. same problem here. Yes mach can control the vfd but still have somehow to connect the spindle sensor to the mach. how?

Do i realy need a speed indicator on mach? how you guys running your machines? set the speed at the mill control panel and simple start the gcode running?

thanks!