Collet won't open :( - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Collet won't open :(

Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry I was thinking of a spindle with an internal ER taper. It did seem too obvious if you already had the collet in your hand that you wouldnt have figured out how to tap it out. Sorry.

Downloads
    Uploads

How did you put the collet in the ER nut? You don't just thread the nut over the collet, there is an eccentric in the nut that you need to snap the collet into. If you didn't and you torqued things down, who knows what might have happened. See the diagrams here: Accessories ER Collet

bob

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    How did you put the collet in the ER nut? You don't just thread the nut over the collet, there is an eccentric in the nut that you need to snap the collet into. If you didn't and you torqued things down, who knows what might have happened.
    Been there, did that, first time I used an ER. Swore I was never going to tell anyone, but what the heck

What happens is the collet splits in to 2 pieces. The broken section will go down in to the eccentric cut out and could stop the nut turning.

If that's the fault you should be able to tap the broken section back out of the way with a punch once the tool is out.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Collet won't open :(

iam haveing a lot of trouble finding a er20 spindle i have the one in the pic any advice

SALE 500W CNC Air Cooling Spindle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12