Grizzly g619 thoughts?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly g619 thoughts?

Downloads
    Uploads

Default Grizzly g619 thoughts?

So dad, a retired machinist/tech/engineer is looking for a hobby mill. Benchtop is what he wants, simply for space. Mostly model airplane stuff and tinkering. Anyone have the g619? Anything else in that sub 2k category he should be looking at? Mind you, he will never cnc the thing. Since benchtop manual stuff is not my expertise, hoping someone can share thought and opinions.

Thanks.

Similar Threads:

I do not have one, but the G0704 sure seems like a lot of bang for your buck. Bigger work envelope and comes with a stand for less money.

Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Downloads
    Uploads

I saw that one as well, but it weighs so much less. He is worried about rigidity especially in the column. However if I get users saying it cuts fine he is certainly not against it. Personally I think it would do what he wants it for, but he is an old, and I mean old Bridgeport guy.

So keep an eye out on CL and machinery auctions and get him an old BP or clone.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    So keep an eye out on CL and machinery auctions and get him an old BP or clone.
    Already discussed that with him. Space is a problem, at least till he sells his thunderbird. also doesn't want to deal with 3 phase or having to run another 220 line.

Downloads
    Uploads

Yes, I just purchased one (G0619 - SX3) from Grizzly. Its nice to have them about 4 hours away to go visit and see what your actually buying first. For me, I have them ship ship instead of picking up, saves a few $$.

I just got done dis-assembling the whole mill using CR's instructions. Took me about a day and seems well made, serviceable and nice and heavy too. This is my third Grizzly purchase and so far the quality/price have been excellent.

In the process of cleaning the red goop and then going to CNC it before making any chips so the functioning ?'s I leave to others. I would recommend it...

Matt

Space is a big deal. A VFD is an option though for 3 phase. Lots of people run rotary phase converters, but I'm struggling to see the downside to running a VFD instead.

Get the small mill. I had a '69 T-bird coupe with a 429, and I miss that car often. If his T-bird isn't one of the stretched out ugly ones from the 70s he should keep it and pass it down. Not get rid of it.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Oh, no, it's a fully frame off restored powder blue and ivory 57 that he did through the 80's and early 90's. He only drove it once since the restoration, been sitting so long since, he had put a new gas tank and radiator in it. I think he is re-restoring it now to try and sell it. He hated driving it. He's more of a sports car guy than a cruizer guy. Ill bet once he sells it he buys a AC cobra replica.

And thanks for the input of the G0619, do you have the link for the disassemble?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    I saw that one as well, but it weighs so much less. He is worried about rigidity especially in the column. However if I get users saying it cuts fine he is certainly not against it. Personally I think it would do what he wants it for, but he is an old, and I mean old Bridgeport guy.
    The extra weight of the g0619 does nothing to help it's rigidity, it has an open column.
    It's been shown the the g0704 can cut better, has more travels, is much cheaper, has better tapered gibs and comes with a stand.
    Do some more research before you buy something you may regret.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    The extra weight of the g0619 does nothing to help it's rigidity, it has an open column.
    It's been shown the the g0704 can cut better, has more travels, is much cheaper, has better tapered gibs and comes with a stand.
    Hoss
    Saw a few of your youtube videos, very nice. So in your opinion, this G0704 would be a decent manual mill? I see yours are converted, he will never do that. He has a Servo ultra precision bench mill he doesn't like, he wants to be able to use a 1/2 EM in aluminum and mild steel, and be able to drill holes, probably nothing bigger than 1/2".

1 HP is more than plenty to drill 1/2" holes. Both of my drill presses and my mill drill have 1/2 or 3/4 motors and they are just fine for it when set at the right speed. If I hadn't gotten a smoking deal on an old RF30 and a 8.5 x 18 lathe with a bunch of tooling the G0704 would be on my short list for a manual mill. The 0704 is definitely superior in many ways to the RF30.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

Well as a drilling machine, the 0619 would be more appealing since the handle for the crank
    for the Z axis is on the base vs the column of the 0704 and I believe it has 3/4 inch more quill travel.
    I just couldn't see spending that much for one when that could just about buy an rf45.
    Hoss

Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- [URL]http://www.g0704.com[/URL]

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by hoss2006 View Post
    Hoss

I agree 100% to this statement from Hoss. If you want something bigger than the G704 go with a Rf-45 type machine ( that would be a GO720R or GO722 I believe in a Grizz). Very nice and capable machines if this much machine is needed. Ofcourse you can find other RF-45 type mills around cheaper with just as much rigidity and travel but less bells and wistles. The IH clone being the mac daddy of the bunch I guess, or the IH itself ( higher price but maybe cheaper than the griz). Where talking 650 to 1100lb machines.

Even though the 704 is lighter the column design and mounting has done a lot for it.

I will also have to say a used BP is not as hard to have, and is by all means way above & beyound any of the benchtop mills, that I would think long and hard before not buying one.

One thing I have seen is on the room comment. By the time you put one of these benchtops mills on a bench it really comes very close to taking the room of a BP mill ( more so with the RF-45 types, the 704 is smaller). True foot print the BP may even be smaller in some cases, but room for the big table to move, and the height have to be considered. But a BP does fit real nice in a corner also. The three phase or 220 thing is no big deal, but yea not as easy as just using 110v household circuits. VFD with a three phase motor is the way to go for best performance anyway (on any mill with A/C current). But the small benchtops with DC motors work good, but many have changed for bigger DC motors and controllers becuaase of power and reliabillty problems. you should read HOss's GO704 build threads.

Ofcourse you only need a machine to handle what your tying to do. If the Go704 fits that then it is a very affordable & usefull machine. But mind you, a old BP guys is going to be very dissapointed with it unless he looks at it like its a tool, and only needs to do the job. If he starts compairing he want like it.

Then there is the fact that everyoen that gets into this hobby always wants to grow, go bigger, have more. One thing they start learnign what they can really do and realize they could do more if they had more/bigger. Maybe not the case here with his age and expeirance, IDK, your call.

If he really want to only do the hobby air planes and such small jobs the GO704 is going to be hard to beat, if not imposible. They do seem to be coming up with new designs quite often here lately though, but for the GO704's target customer and price range your not going to do any better.

Jess

GOD Bless, and prayers for all.

Downloads
    Uploads

If it is time to pitch your favorite benchtop mill you should also look at the Weiss 30LV - PM-30.

It is a 500 pound machine so is not too light. It is stiffer than a RF-31, has a higher spindle speed that a RF-45 and is bigger and had a larger motor over the G0704.

Big travels too.

The best hobby mill on the market in the states IMHO. The main problem is at the $1600 price level many people just go with the the RF-45 mills which is fine but they are not as ready to go out of the box as the 30 is.

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm trying to push him towards a Bridgeport. I found one with an old step pulley head for 800 bucks for him. I even have a guy that will rebuild the head if it needs it for parts only. I have machine jacks and hillman rollers to move it in the garage, and have an in with a local rigger. Even found a free vfd if he wants to go that way.

50-2250rpm VS 50-2250 RPM

???

It is bigger, but:

Table travel (longitudinal): 18-7/8"
    Table travel (cross): 6-7/8"

VS

Cross Travel 8-3/4”
    Longitudinal Travel 16-3/4”

Heavier it wins hands down:

Approximate shipping weight: 290 lbs.

VS

Net Weight (Not Including Base) 484 LBS
    Net Weight (With Base) 575 LBS

And it does have a bigger motor:

Motor: 1 HP, 110V, 3.2A, single-phase
    VS
    Motor 1.5 HP

Yeah the Paul Mathews PM-30V is a nice looking machine, but the differences are not staggering, and its 1795. Free freight though... Now the LV version might be interesting if that bigger table also has a longer X travel.

Bob La Londe

Downloads
    Uploads

The listing is old he is only stocking the longer table.

I have had 4 different benchtop mill in the resent past.

Currently I have a IH mill a Weiss 30 ,G0704 and a LM-25. The G704 is new and for sale on the CNCZone.

I sold the RF-31 last year.

Everything has things working for and against them.

The Rf-31 is really a great drill press and top speed is way better than the RF-45 gear head but changing belts gets old fast the the round column flex is a pain.

The IH came with flaws that are mostly solved now but I have been working on it for over a year. The belt drive really fixed things up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dmfP5i2syQ&list=UUOtPHVL6Qi-LuJp17ASrBww&index=3&feature=plcp]Single speed internal belt driive RF-45 LM-45 .MP4 - YouTube

The G0704 is the best value by far. you just cant get anything that works as well without spending a lot more. No real flaws except a bit under powered. It is small too.

But what do you do if you want to spend more and not mess with making a belt drive to get a spindle speed that good for smaller cutters in aluminum or up grade the motor so you do a little hoggin?

Get the Weiss 30.

I have not had a SX3 so I cant say directly how they compare but the new motor looks to be a nice improvement.
    Get he

Downloads
    Uploads

From all the advise on here, he is ordering the 704 today. Biggest reason was the Gib set up on the 704 was much nicer than the 619. He is still a little concerned about head noise, but i think he will get over it.

Thank you all. Machine due mid April.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Machine due mid April.
    Yeah, that's the biggest thing I have against a LOT of different machines. You scrimp and save and put aside money for your new machine fund, and then when you pay for it you still have to wait a couple months.

It is what it is I guess.

Bob La Londe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast