x2 spindle motor replacement options ? - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: x2 spindle motor replacement options ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you dumb that down a bit?

Downloads
    Uploads

I posted a reply and it disappeared, try again.
    If you look on the KB or Baldor site you will see a version in an enclosure with a reversing switch.
    This is a special switch as it has a mechanical momentary stop at centre so you cannot go from fwd to rev with one action, it also has a contact that shorts I1 I2 inhibiting and resetting the drive.
    You can switch the drive input power off every time, but then the drive has to go through the power up which can be no problem.
    Another way is turn off or reverse the A+ A-, but when doing this method you have to short out the I1 I2 to reset the drive so it goes through accel.
    Just dropping the pot to zero is not advised and not necessary, even if you are using unidirectional control, you could leave input power and armature connected and just inhibit the drive, the drive would then return to where the pot is set to instead of cranking it up and down once I1 & I2 are opened.
    Some just switch the armature back on and off, this is wrong per the KB manual.
    Hope this is clearer.
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I don't plan on using a reverse switch. I am just trying to figure this upgrade out.
    KBLC-19PM | eBay
    The top link is half the price of the others, I am curious if this is the one to buy, and why does it look completely different then the picture listed here:
    KBLC BOARD

Downloads
    Uploads

The KB shown I believe is an OEM special, it looks like it has a standard KBIC board with the modified (MOD) interface board, this is just a break out board for the stake-on terminals you would normally see, some of these boards have fusing or other mods on them special to the OEM, it appears to be a steal of a price?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nateman_doo View Post
    I don't plan on using a reverse switch. I am just trying to figure this upgrade out.
    You still have to decide on a power off method, input power or armature?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Also as I noted earlier, if reversing the armature leads after power has been applied, use the I1 & I2 terminals to allow the drive to go through the accel after reversing, otherwise it is full on.
    They should be shorted when drive is off, also if there is a centre off between fwd and rev, this will stop any creep that may occur from any small command by pot etc.
    You could also leave the pot at a certain run position and inhibit by the I1 I2 and when released will acell up to the pot position.
    Not to be used for tool changes etc however.
    Al.
    Thanks for the pointer and reminder , I'm not going to worry about reversing the spindle , I don't need it .
    I'll be killing the power with the input

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by nateman_doo View Post
    KBLC-19PM | eBay
    The top link is half the price of the others, I am curious if this is the one to buy, and why does it look completely different then the picture listed here:
    KBLC BOARD
    Like Al said , the ebay setups have a plug in terminal board on top , lots of those have the potentiometer built on which can be handy , or not , if not then you can pull the top board off with ease , and then you can connect your wires straight to the main board .
    If your mill is already running good then I don't know how much of a benefit changing boards will be for you , but then it made an incredible difference for my motor so it may improve things for you , if your in a similar boat as me then its cheap enough to be worth trying

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

i did some fiddling around to get the board set up so that everything is running smoothly , then I put the tach to it , it turns out that there was a huge increase in rpm , the belt drive from lil machine shop is claimed to increase the stock mill to 4500 rpm , I'm not sure what it was running at previously but I'll take it at that , but right now its reading at 7100 rpm , and on the low setting I'm getting 2700 rpm ,
    the motor , bearings and board aren't taking on heat after running for a while , the lower bearing is radiating a bit of warmth thru the casting but its minimal and the bearing itself feels fine to the touch
    I've got some molds to cut over the weekend so that will be the true and final test

Downloads
    Uploads

Is the KBLC-19 even made anymore? I looked at their website and did a search there and came up with nothing.

Also, I have a treadmill motor that I'm wanting to use. It's rated for 2.25 HP (not sure about continuous or not as it doesn't say on its label).

I do have the ICON HEALTH & FITNESS MC-60 from some other treadmill in as a replacement for the original that blew.

I'm a little confused about the KBLC-19M that's talked about here in the thread. From what I'm gathering it's a separate board that's used in addition to the main controller board. Is that a correct statement?

Downloads
    Uploads

I think you will find that the -19 is just a complete KBLC unit with what looks like a special 9884 terminal breakout board attached, probably an OEM supplied unit.
    Looks like the add-on may have been made by Peco Controls?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vogavt View Post
    Also, I have a treadmill motor that I'm wanting to use. It's rated for 2.25 HP (not sure about continuous or not as it doesn't say on its label).
    Not usually 2.5hp continuous for typical TM motors, what is the voltage?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

most likely there is only one style of the 19mod board but it looks like there are a lot of different styles of terminal boards that are added(judging by what i see on fleabay) , I picked the one that I've got because it had the most basic terminal board . The thing is that if you don't like the terminal board then it is easy to pull it off of the kb board and then you can connect the wires directly to the board

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    most likely there is only one style of the 19mod board but it looks like there are a lot of different styles of terminal boards that are added(judging by what i see on fleabay) ,
    Like I mentioned, I believe they are custom, I found a link in one place that mentions some were a special app, probably made for an end user that had particular requirement and just need a drop in application?
    Just an add-on to the standard board.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

if anyone is wanting to buy one of these boards then it needs to be reminded that the proper resistor is needed for the board , the resistor is based on the motor hp .
    there is a guy on ebay that sells them for a buck or two , mind you the ^#^# nailed me 13 bucks to ship the tiny little thing , not enough to break the bank but an ignorant cost none the less

Downloads
    Uploads

I would first try a local Baldor or KB motor/drive rep, I have one local to me which makes it handy!.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

I found a link in one place that mentions some were a special app,
    Al.
    finding any info or links on these boards is difficult , the 120-240 boards have much more info available and i would have went with those boards but i figured that with them only outputting 90v then the motor may be under powered .
    judging by the performance that I'm getting then the other boards would most likely be sufficient and still provide much better performance than the stock board

Downloads
    Uploads

Not usually 2.5hp continuous for typical TM motors, what is the voltage?
    Al.
    Sticker says:

PERMANENT MAGNET DC MOTOR 2.25 HP
    N1CPM-130T CW ROTATION

TREADMILL DUTTY: 2.25 130VDC
    18 AMPS FF1.0 AOM

CONTINUOUS DUTTY: 1.3 HP 95 VDC
    ENCL: OPEN EXTERNAL FAN

PART# G-176006

So I found the CD rating on the sticker where I'd missed it before. Wonder why it's spelled DUTTY instead of DUTY. (Weird).

My stock motor says 4/5HP, but I doubt that's continuous either.

However, it does say REVERSIBLE, whereas the TM says CW Rotation; so I suspect it's not going to work. I'm using the belt drive mod, so is there a simple fix for this?

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Vogavt View Post
    However, it does say REVERSIBLE, whereas the TM says CW Rotation; so I suspect it's not going to work. I'm using the belt drive mod, so is there a simple fix for this?
    The brushes are offset slightly to optimize efficiency in one direction, Although it may be possible to run in reverse, the efficiency is going to be lower in the direction.
    If the direction you need is CCW only, you could look at inverting the motor position if it's possible?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

If the direction you need is CCW only, you could look at inverting the motor position if it's possible?
    Al.
    Well the shaft at the CW end measures 17mm, while the end at the brushes (CCW end) measures 8mm. I'm not sure that it would be robust enough to handle what I need. The stock motor has a 9mm shaft and the pulley for the belt drive is already bored at the diameter. This also means I'd have to re-turn another pulley if I went with TM one.

Hmmm.. decisions, decisions...

Downloads
    Uploads

I just ordered that board. I will do the upgrade step by step here with pictures once it arrives.

I think I should change & upgrade the bearings when this arrives. They have had some wear & tear on them. Anyone know any good guides to the bearing replacement on the X2?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast