x2 spindle motor replacement options ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: x2 spindle motor replacement options ?

Downloads
    Uploads

Many use the KB or Baldor equivalent SCR drives, but take the 2.5HP with a pinch of salt,
    If you compare the size with an industrial 2.5hp brushed, they are usually much larger,
    also it takes a well designed (expensive) DC brushed motor that will run at 6000rpm?
    Al.

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

i sort of figured that might be the case , heres one off the top of the ebay page , there are loads that are similar TREADMILL PERMANENT MAGNET MOTOR 130V DC 2.5HP 18 amps | eBay

A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

One like this looks decent construction 360388512832.
    If you are lucky, a Leeson or a Baldor T.M. motor sometimes come up.
    Or look for an older Gettys or Fanuc DC servo motor, they also have tachs for using the feedback option.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    i sort of figured that might be the case , heres one off the top of the ebay page [/url]
    Forgot to mention, that one and many such cheaper ones designed specifically for T.M. operation are designed uni-directional.
    It is marked CW rotation.
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Al , good point and I'll definitely keep that in mind ,
    that particular motor was just the first one on the top of the listings just to use as an example .
    I'll see what the new board does , and if its an improvement like the other guys claim then I'll run with it , Then it can buy me some time to find something better

Last edited by dertsap; 01-01-2012 at 03:19 PM.
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Downloads
    Uploads

Man ! What an abortion ! LOL !
    the control board on the mill looks nothing like anything that I can find on the net .
    I've adjusted the pots back and forth on the board until i could hear that sweet spot where it sounds absolutely clean . it now runs much better and smoother at high and low rpm , it still needs a warm up in low gear before i cross it into high but its cool outside so the spindle bearings are going to be a bit stiff . it beyond me if the warm up is necessary on anyone elses machine but considering the tar they use for bearing grease then I'd assume it's typical

Downloads
    Uploads

I'm assuming you are still using the factory original motor and drive? or are you using the KB drive?
    Al.

Albert E.

Downloads
    Uploads

oh ya !
    yep still the factory , I'll probably get the other stuff within the next couple of weeks , I've got the board coming from one place the hp resistor from another and a potentiometer from yet another .
    at least as it stands I feel like i can trust it enough that i can play a little more rough

Downloads
    Uploads

looks as though that has done the trick for now , I'm not going animal on the cuts but I can push it pretty well with a small 1/4" end mill , I could hear the tool working hard and the tool is being pushed well beyond its normal capabilities , which surprised me (not bad for a cheap tool ) , but the spindle wasn't bogging .
    I still managed to stall the spindle and popped a fuse before breaking the tool so its still weak in my opinion . I think I've figured out the machine's limits .
    With lighter cuts and my typical style of machining then i can cut out a part quickly and accurately ,
    I've looked over a crap load of videos on line and in comparison to what I'm doing then I can machine out a part at a much quicker rate as it is , but then most of the machining processes in the videos weren't what I call optimal . there were a few pretty cool video's to watch though and I've got a couple new ideas for add-on's

Downloads
    Uploads

So you did the mod to the board and were successful? I would be happy to try this out. I am pretty new to motors & controllers, but I can follow any kind of diagram. The board on e-bay looks very different to what is on the pictures, but I guess were looking at the back of it?

K B Electronics Inc Speed Control KBLC-19PM | eBay

Downloads
    Uploads

no mod yet , still waiting to get the board which will be here in a couple weeks , the improvement so far was in tweaking of the stock board

Downloads
    Uploads

I didn't catch, but what did you improve upon the stop board?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

After tweaking my stock board my belt slips before the motor stalls or trips the breaker.
    I don't run it that much or extremely hard but I like to push it when it runs.
    I have a treadmill motor and MC-60 stock treadmill controller waiting for the mill if it dies.
    My second option is the KBLC-19 or -120 like you are doing, I have read a lot of good about it.

Downloads
    Uploads

I only stall drilling holes. I have yet to stall while milling anything, but I only mill aluminum and copper, and I am very gentle with that.

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Forgot to mention, that one and many such cheaper ones designed specifically for T.M. operation are designed uni-directional.
    It is marked CW rotation.
    Al.
    And if you look closer at the label, it's rated 1.5HP continuous, and requires external fan unit for cooling.

Downloads
    Uploads

the kblc board provided the world of difference , i have no way of figuring out the increase in torque but lets say its a freakin far cry from what it was previously , previously it would take a 5 minute warm up in low then i could change over to high , otherwise the motor would not turn the spindle in high what so ever when cold , and it would inevitably blow yet another fuse .
    Right now my unheated workshop is the coldest it's been all winter at +6 to 7 deg Celsius , at cold start the kb board pulls to full rpm without hesitation on high , after 1/2 hr of running the board is cold and the spindle motor has a slight warmth to it which is maybe a degree or two warmer than my hand . Now i just need to take the time to finish tweaking and then box in the electronics
    as for rpm change , I'd say there's some but i won't know till i put a tach to it , besides more rpm isn't as much of concern , my concern is reliable torque which appears to be a problem now conquered ,
    the true test will be in the cutting but judging by the change in the performance already then i think it'll do , I can only expect so much from a little toy

Last edited by dertsap; 01-11-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Downloads
    Uploads

Can you take some pics of the setup? How you wired it etc?

Downloads
    Uploads

How to wire it is in the link that i gave you. The only change is that the motor connects to a+ and a- .

Downloads
    Uploads

This one?

Downloads
    Uploads

Also as I noted earlier, if reversing the armature leads after power has been applied, use the I1 & I2 terminals to allow the drive to go through the accel after reversing, otherwise it is full on.
    They should be shorted when drive is off, also if there is a centre off between fwd and rev, this will stop any creep that may occur from any small command by pot etc.
    You could also leave the pot at a certain run position and inhibit by the I1 I2 and when released will acell up to the pot position.
    Not to be used for tool changes etc however.
    Al.

Albert E.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast