High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 Mill - getting technical - Page 2

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 Mill - getting technical

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Forgot to post the url

I forgot to post the url for:

"The next site contains speeds and feeds specifically for end mills, by diameter from 1/16" through 3", for premium cobalt high speed steel, and regular high speed steel, by material to be machined."

End Mill Training - Speeds and Feeds
    http://www.endmill.com/pages/training/spdfeed.htm

Also here are the articles that caught my attention - routing tool bits for CNC milling of hard and soft plastics.

http://www.plasticsmachining.com/mag...01-11/Van.html

http://www.onsrud.com/pdf/The%20Router%20Way.pdf

Whelen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Hold the phone - I made a mistake

When I wrote up the subject of this thread I made a mistake. The mistake is in the calculation of the scoping torque required to engrave brass. The error is in my selection of the feed per tooth. I used 0.18 mm per tooth. I should have used 0.01 mm per tooth!!!!!

I found this out in a conversation with the gentleman that wrote the article which had the torque equation. I found the initial value of 0.18 mm per tooth in another referance. I only read one page and should have read the other 65 pages.

Backing up - I was calculating the torque required to engrave brass with a pointed engraving bit. The bit has a 60 degree included angle, and the depth of cut is 1 mm. Assume a rpm of 20,000. So re calculating:
    1 mm depth of cut
    1.16 mm width of cut ( up 1 mm from the point )
    0.01 mm per tooth feed per tooth
    2 teeth number of teeth
    0.29 machinability factor for brass

0.0077 N-m Torque
    0.77 cN-m Torque

462 mm per min Feed rate
    18.2 inches per minute

Big difference in the resulting torque required. I guess the PROXXON might work. But may not hold up to a continous duty cycle, as Tokyocrow pointed out. But for the money, Tokyocrow has found better alternatives.
    I got the new feed per tooth of 0.01 mm from the assumption of 1 percent of the tool diameter (1.16 mm) per tooth.

Whelen

Gold Member
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whelen, just a quick idea, I have engraved around 10ipm with a 3000rpm spindle. at 18.2ipm and 20,000rpm your going to be burning up bits.

Jon

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default You are right

JFettig
    Thank you for taking the time to help me get back down to earth. The cost to "reliably" get to 20,000 rpm, and the consumables cost for the bits I will be burning up don't add up.

Again thanks for your help. Also I enjoy reading your posts, helping others with their problems.

Whelen

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Have you made your high speed spindle yet?

I have just found this forum and fairly new to the mini cnc scene. I also have been trying to come up with a high speed spinde for my mini-mill. I have the grizzly version of the Seig x2 which I have converted to cnc last year.
    I have been engraving some small items and I cant do a very good job with small cutters at the 2500 rpm the mill tops out at. I read the entire thread and looked at most of the links.
    I find the mini air spindle an intriguing possibility, except for drilling a hole in the drawbar (although if a long hollow bolt could be purchased, it may be easier to set up).
    I have a harbor frieght trim router that I had thought about using, but it is too long to fit under the mill head and mounting it on the side would be ok, except for the loss of working area.

Has anyone considered mounting a DREMEL high speed grinder, using either: the flexible shaft attachment (maybe it could be fed through the spindle?) or the right angle attachment, mounted under the millhead?

Since it is mainly for engraving, I would think that the power would be sufficient and the speed is adjustable (usually 0-35,000 rpm).

If anyone has thought about this, or something similar, any help would be appreciated.

Downloads
    Uploads

Using the flex attachment of the Dremmel has been discussed, but the runout is the major drawback.

There are so many variables in high speed machining it is difficult to settle on a single solution for everything. I made one of the hollow drawbars for the air spindle and as with the Dremmel, the runout is high.

I think the biggest problem is that "high speed" and "low cost" just dont mix well with "accuracy" and "machining".

I've settled with the stock spindle and an 1/8 in. drill bit for most soft metal engraving. I saw a R8 high speed spindle on eBay recently for around 300 dollars, similar to the one pictured. Eventually I will find one of these at a resonable cost I hope.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 Mill - getting technical-highspeedspindle-jpg  
    Halfnutz

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default I found my high speed spindle solution

Halfnutz, I found my high speed spindle solution. Or I should say KDN Tool found it. I wrote it up on 8-2-06 in Benchtop Mills titled - High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 - I found it.

8-2-06 "High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 - I found it". 5,000 to 20,000 rpm with six collets 1/32" to 1/8" - for $170, which includes the mounting bracket for the SIEG X2. You will find it on www.kdntool.com

Bill Perun

Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by whelen View Post
    Halfnutz, I found my high speed spindle solution. Or I should say KDN Tool found it. I wrote it up on 8-2-06 in Benchtop Mills titled - High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 - I found it.

8-2-06 "High Speed Spindle for SIEG X2 - I found it". 5,000 to 20,000 rpm with six collets 1/32" to 1/8" - for $170, which includes the mounting bracket for the SIEG X2. You will find it on www.kdntool.com

Bill Perun
    Nice! they have some great stuff at KDN. I am looking at buying (or trying to copy) a couple of there products for my X2. All of their stuff is top notch.

Halfnutz

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default High speed spindles?

Check these out. This guy has definitely done the work already.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Wolfgang-Engineering

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Need advice w/minitech mill

I recently bought a minitech mill, used. i haven't been able to get it to respond to any software. I'm pretty green to the cnc world here, that's why I'm here.

i've connected the mill and can here the fans running, but i'm unable to get mach 2 or mach 3 to respond or jog any of the axis.

Can anyone help me determine if i have a driver problem or if it's just my misuse of the software.
    This mill checks out mechanically and looks to have been hardly used,according to the ball screws and the overall condition. Mecahnically everythting moves and appears to be in good condition.
    i have entertained the option of replacing the controler and the steppers, which will still leave me under what i could buy one of these mills for.

I really don't want to spend unecessary cash for parts i don't need , if i don't have too.

Remember, I'm a novice and very green. So please be easy and help me .
    Thanks
    mark

Last edited by gone4pepsi; 12-12-2006 at 10:23 AM. Reason: mispelling

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Wolfgang Spindle /Minitech Mill

Thanks for the reply...
    Since I posted that- about the spindle, I have ordered a spindle from Wolfgang, I have not incorporateded it into the mill yet. I am constucting a small mill to use it with. The spindle lookg stout enough to do some serious machining of small metal parts. I think the X2 will be too loose to get good work, but I have a small bracket, I may mount it up to do some engraving.

If anyone has used this Wolfgang spindle- please share your experiences.

About the minitech mill, since you are new, my suggestion is you investigate the type of controll the mill has-
    Is it a PC type Parallel port ? or a serial Port? sometimes the 25 pin d-sub type connector is used for either one. a 9 pin is usually a serial port and rarely a parallel port.

Second- if it is a parallel port, you need to determine the step pin and direction pin for each motor axis.
    Mach 2,3 use two pin signals for each motor axis. You can configure which ones are used within the software in order to match up to your machine.
    The best way to get this information, about your machine, is to get the original documentation. Without that- it will be difficult.

If you cant get documentaion, you could examine the connector to see which of the 25 pins are used- sometimes the non-connected pins will be missing from the housing. If it is connected to a pc board- you can see if they are connected to circuit traces or not. Check this with the power off of course.

Good luck.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default High speed spindles

This gentleman has developed some spindle setups with 3 ceramic that will up to 60000 rpms bearingshttp://cgi.ebay.com/TB-350S-High-Speed-Precision-CNC-Router-Spindle_W0QQitemZ170022306647QQihZ007QQcategoryZ25 94QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

He has other configurations also check out his other spindles

Downloads
    Uploads

First of all verify you have Mach3 set up correctly by checking the direction pins of the printer port outputs with a DVM. They should change from around OV to 3-5V as you change directions jogging.

Then verify you have logical power and motor power to the drives, and if so when you turn the unit on the motors, if wired correctly, should hold thier position.

At that point it is simply getting a step and direction signal from the printer port to the drives.

Nothin to it eh?

Halfnutz

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz View Post
    First of all verify you have Mach3 set up correctly by checking the direction pins of the printer port outputs with a DVM. They should change from around OV to 3-5V as you change directions jogging.

Then verify you have logical power and motor power to the drives, and if so when you turn the unit on the motors, if wired correctly, should hold thier position.

At that point it is simply getting a step and direction signal from the printer port to the drives.

Nothin to it eh?
    I did check the motors when powered up and i can't move them as i could when power is off, but i have not what you mean , in reference to checking the pins on the printer port.
    Also I have no idea what the configuration of the pins are suppose to be in the software configuration, because minitech is not helpful at all. i guess i'd have to spend * grand to get that info.

Thanks
    Mark

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default mach3/xp/ minitech mill

Quote Originally Posted by gone4pepsi View Post
    This gentleman has developed some spindle setups with 3 ceramic that will up to 60000 rpms bearingshttp://cgi.ebay.com/TB-350S-High-Speed-Precision-CNC-Router-Spindle_W0QQitemZ170022306647QQihZ007QQcategoryZ25 94QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

He has other configurations also check out his other spindles

When i booted up my pc, xp told me I had new hardware and was looking for the drivers. i unplugged the paralell cable, rebooted, and now i don't see xp looking for the drivers. any ideas? Does minitech require it's own drivers,or do you think this is a glitch in mach3 or my pc?
    Thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Exclamation MiniTech don't sell CNC machines

Hi Mark,
    MiniTech only sell the base, manual machine. What you have is one that has been modified by someone.
    You don't need 'minitech drivers' there is no such thing. So the Minitech guys, even though they are very helpful, cannot help you at all.

Get onto the Artsoft Mach3 site (http://www.machsupport.com) and check out their tutorials, they will give you information on how to set Mach3 up and also info on setting up the port pins etc.

If your steppers are locking up when you have power to the drivers then it sounds like you're half way there, you just need to get the PC/Mach3/Driver interface working - which should not be too hard (I note you are a complete noob, but trust me) .
    Whatever you do, do not rush into this, take the time to ask as many questions as it takes before you know what you are doing or you may fry your driver(s) and/or PC.

What driver(s) do you have to drive the stepper motors (I'm assuming they are steppers and not servo motors). Some common ones are Xylotex and Gecko - or in your case someone may have built a driver from an Oatley Electronics kit (check out www.oatleyelectronics.com and look for stepper motors/kits).

Mach3 does some things that Windows doesn't know about, so look on the Artsoft web site for instructions about optimising XP to let Mach3 run correctly - if you have other things running that clash with Mach3 Windows won't know what is going on. Basically you can't have anything else (even a screen saver) running while you have Mach3 running, it's best to have a dedicated PC for Mach3 (ie don't use the PC for anything else). Also check out the minimum PC requirements for running Mach3, you'll find that on the Artsoft site too.

Getting back to your question, it sounds like XP has detected that signals are getting to the PC from the driver board(s) and thinks you have some sort of printer attached, this indicates that it may require rewiring the connection between driver and parallel cable - one thing to check is that you have a straight through parallel cable with all pins connected, some cables don't have all wires connected and some cross a wire or two getting from one end to the other. Check for continuity with a multimeter (set on Ohms) between pin one of one end to pin one of the other end - do that for all pins, you should see zero Ohms in each case - if you don't, get another cable.
    You will need to get info from the driver maker to be sure that the connections to the parallel cable are correct, if they are OK and your cable is OK then it should be easy to set up the port pins in Mach3 - and away you go.

Good luck and Cheers,
    Dave.

drivers
    When i booted up my pc, xp told me I had new hardware and was looking for the drivers. i unplugged the paralell cable, rebooted, and now i don't see xp looking for the drivers. any ideas? Does minitech require it's own drivers,or do you think this is a glitch in mach3 or my pc?
    Thanks
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Minitech mystery machine-

Mark,

If what finance says is correct, you are left with no other choice than to open up the controller box and look at the circuit board. Hopefully you will find a name on it, maybe also a model number, and you can "Google" it to get information on the internet.

Then maybe you can get the manual. Just be sure to unplug it first and groung yourself by keeping one hand on the metal of the box, or by not touching anything- basically the same static electricity precautions you would have while working on your PC.

If you cannot fins a name - you can take a good picture of it and post it on this thread- or start a new one.

Rustfinger.

Banned
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Minitech Does support their machines

Quote Originally Posted by finance View Post
    Hi Mark,
    MiniTech only sell the base, manual machine. What you have is one that has been modified by someone.
    You don't need 'minitech drivers' there is no such thing. So the Minitech guys, even though they are very helpful, cannot help you at all.

Get onto the Artsoft Mach3 site (http://www.machsupport.com) and check out their tutorials, they will give you information on how to set Mach3 up and also info on setting up the port pins etc.

If your steppers are locking up when you have power to the drivers then it sounds like you're half way there, you just need to get the PC/Mach3/Driver interface working - which should not be too hard (I note you are a complete noob, but trust me) .
    Whatever you do, do not rush into this, take the time to ask as many questions as it takes before you know what you are doing or you may fry your driver(s) and/or PC.

What driver(s) do you have to drive the stepper motors (I'm assuming they are steppers and not servo motors). Some common ones are Xylotex and Gecko - or in your case someone may have built a driver from an Oatley Electronics kit (check out www.oatleyelectronics.com and look for stepper motors/kits).

Mach3 does some things that Windows doesn't know about, so look on the Artsoft web site for instructions about optimising XP to let Mach3 run correctly - if you have other things running that clash with Mach3 Windows won't know what is going on. Basically you can't have anything else (even a screen saver) running while you have Mach3 running, it's best to have a dedicated PC for Mach3 (ie don't use the PC for anything else). Also check out the minimum PC requirements for running Mach3, you'll find that on the Artsoft site too.

Getting back to your question, it sounds like XP has detected that signals are getting to the PC from the driver board(s) and thinks you have some sort of printer attached, this indicates that it may require rewiring the connection between driver and parallel cable - one thing to check is that you have a straight through parallel cable with all pins connected, some cables don't have all wires connected and some cross a wire or two getting from one end to the other. Check for continuity with a multimeter (set on Ohms) between pin one of one end to pin one of the other end - do that for all pins, you should see zero Ohms in each case - if you don't, get another cable.
    You will need to get info from the driver maker to be sure that the connections to the parallel cable are correct, if they are OK and your cable is OK then it should be easy to set up the port pins in Mach3 - and away you go.

Good luck and Cheers,
    Dave.

drivers
    I beg to differ. Yuo are wrong, everything on this mill is minitech.
    Jack has contatced me everyday since i posted at the forum for mach 3 software. Art tried to help, but had no idea about Jack's machines.

Jack walked me throuhg everything and after trouble shooting, we have come to realize that the board was bad.

FYI the board says Mini tech right on it.

After configuring the pins, it came down to me isolating the drives whith each motor..

There was no one at the mach 3 forum that was of any help , with the exception Of Jack from Minitech.

Art tried to help, but had no idea where the problem could have been..

The original problem was in the software.
    Jack researched it for me and emailed me the information , and finally after days of deliberating we unchecked all of the active lows to all the axis and bingo we had a response.

Jack offered to salvage a board from an older machine.

I've decided that i'm just going to upgrade to a bipolar controller and higher torque motors.

If anyone is inteested, These motors are the oriiginal and have been tested. I've have no idea what the holding torque is, but they are all equal and in excellent condition
    They are unipolar, six wire and i'll let them go real cheap.

If anyone needs help with an older minitech, i'm sure Jack will be more than happy to hear from you. Just email him.
    Mark

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Back to possible motors to drive spindles, there are some amazing brushless DC "outrunner" motors designed to replace the old-fashioned gasoline engines on really large model airplanes - as in 25 - 30+ pound model airplanes! These motors really crank out an amazing amount of power, and being brushless they have PWM speed controls that can be used manually or with Mach3 or other software with PWM capability. They come in any number of sizes, and are all under a hundred bucks or so except for the really big ones. They also only weigh a few ounces!

I believe this is the same type of motor Wolfgang engineering uses on thier highest-end spindles.

I am using one to build a new spindle drive to replace an NSK Astro unit, as I don't want to spring for that kind of hardware again!

Has anybody else had experience with these as well?

Registered
    Downloads
    Uploads

Red face There are TWO MiniTechs!

Well,
    I'm glad that you seem to have sorted out your problem.

For everyone's info, there is a bunch in Australia called MiniTech - it was them I thought gone4pepsi was referring to - I was unaware he is in the USA and he obviously didn't know I'm in Australia.

Check out www.minitech.com.au they are excellent to buy from/deal with.

Cheers,
    Dave.

I beg to differ. Yuo are wrong, everything on this mill is minitech.
    Jack has contatced me everyday since i posted at the forum for mach 3 software. Art tried to help, but had no idea about Jack's machines.

Jack walked me throuhg everything and after trouble shooting, we have come to realize that the board was bad.

FYI the board says Mini tech right on it.Mark

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast